Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

WHy is humidity (and DPs) so much lower in Darlo than in Durham?

I wouldn't take too much notice because you can't vouch for the accuracy of each and every station.

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Got a link?

Edit found it

Looks a better one

Air temp 1.7°C dew point -2.4°C

The other one

Air temp 2.2°C dew point -2.9°C

yeah thats sounds more like it my bob standard temp gage in my garden top of yarm road says 1.6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Moderate snow here. Blowing around and lying. Temp dropped to 0.3c. this must be a good sign. However the winds are set to pick up which could increase the sea warming later......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

post-12276-0-09415200-1358715663_thumb.p

Note I'm stressing about this and under-estimating it... I think the potential for Durham/Darlington/Morpeth to be under the 10-20cm zone instead of the 5-10cm zone is most likely, but I'm erring on the side of caution for now. Very localised event possible- so it's extremely hard.

NOTE that this is snow falling over the next 24, NOT lying. Though it should all lie if it's strong enough or there is already a layer of snow on top..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

yeah thats sounds more like it my bob standard temp gage in my garden top of yarm road says 1.6

Here is the link - http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=ICOUNTYD18 - looks a good one

Snow starting to settle in Skeggy..............

Posted

Note I'm stressing about this and under-estimating it... I think the potential for Durham/Darlington/Morpeth to be under the 10-20cm zone instead of the 5-10cm zone is most likely, but I'm erring on the side of caution for now. Very localised event possible- so it's extremely hard.

NOTE that this is snow falling over the next 24, NOT lying. Though it should all lie if it's strong enough or there is already a layer of snow on top..

if I'm reading that right, is that 1-5 cm for Middlesbrough?

Posted

Never a pleasant process. LOL

No its not! :lol:

Btw, I was meant to say of course dewpoints are a little LOWER around here and not higher than in Lincolnshire!

One encouragement is that these snow/snow grains showers are sticking on the roofs where snow has slide off around here which suggests as others have pointed out that the PPN is quite dry and any meaningful PPN should stick. I think things could become a bit marginal by tomorrow morning but especially during the evening, uppers should get slightly colder again and hopefully this time we actually get a convective sunshine and shower set up like we did on Friday because convective wise, I was a little disappointed this weekend.

Posted

Just to let you know we're getting nailed here and far more snow has fallen than the 2-5cm predicted by the Met O. I can see this becoming even more extreme for the NE & E Scotland and I would ignore any 2-5cm predictions. I shall certainly be following this thread tomorrow!

Eye, I am expecting the North Easst to be at a standstill tomorrow morning, total chaos probably. Your general input to the forecasting thread by the way is always much appreciated, you are one of the ones I look out for. Enjoy the rest of your dumping as we look forward to ours. You should know that I have 6 inches in my garden from the last couple of days already, but some places locally have reported over 25cm already, and that is before potentially another 30cm plus in the next 24 hrs, incredible really,

Cheers,

Karl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Here is the link - http://www.wundergro...p?ID=ICOUNTYD18 - looks a good one

Snow starting to settle in Skeggy..............

excellent thanks and its 1.2 currently thats a lot better

Posted

Eye, I am expecting the North Easst to be at a standstill tomorrow morning, total chaos probably. Your general input to the forecasting thread by the way is always much appreciated, you are one of the ones I look out for. Enjoy the rest of your dumping as we look forward to ours. You should know that I have 6 inches in my garden from the last couple of days already, but some places locally have reported over 25cm already, and that is before potentially another 30cm plus in the next 24 hrs, incredible really,

Cheers,

Karl

Yes my thinking is between 15-30cm across the NE possibly even more in some favoured locations.

I will add prior to the snow today my temps were actually above freezing. However as the snow fell the temps, dewpoints dropped as you would expect.

Posted

Yes my thinking is between 15-30cm across the NE possibly even more in some favoured locations.

I will add prior to the snow today my temps were actually above freezing. However as the snow fell the temps, dewpoints dropped as you would expect.

However your location is not next to the North Sea and the sea track is much longer up here although I do expect temps to drop once the PPN arrives.

Reading the Lincolnshire thread, it appears this could be a "turning to snow event" so some of us who do not have snow right away may have to be a little bit patient before writing things off just yet.

Posted

I'm only just over 2 miles from the coast as the crow flies,it's 0.8 here,wind blowing feels warmish.I know when we get up tomorrow all the snow will be gone around here.

Proper bummer.

Still,it was good while it lasted and still got February to look forward to.

Posted

Snowmegedon - where about in boro are you?

Are you going through alot of thaw at the moment?

I'm in Linthorpe and there hasn't been that much of a thaw since this morning. The field across the road is still covered as well as my garden and the pavements

Posted

Temp rising (1.4°C), but DP lowering (-1.0°C).

Geordiesnow - re the weekend you were right - your realism before these events is appreciated :) and I certainly value your opinion very highly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Sleet in Cleethorpes! help.gif