IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

These unexpected showers before the heavy stuff tomorrow have dropped about an inch of fresh snow. Looking good now for the main event

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Snow 1 mile away from Cleethorpes in Grimsby. Sounds like wet snow/sleet mix to me, should be snow a couple of miles inland down there.

Posted

Snowmageddon, where abouts in Linthorpe are you, over towards the Dormans?

Hasn't been much of a cover here all week, very little in tact on the pavements.

Yep live just across the road from the Dormans, whereabouts are you from?

Posted

Geordiesnow - re the weekend you were right - your realism before these events is appreciated smile.png and I certainly value your opinion very highly.

Forgotten what I said now tbh but thanks. :) I know alot of people were forecasting an convective weekend but unfortunately this did not quite happen as some may of been expecting really, only Friday was the true sunshine and snow showers day, the rest of the weekend was grey with patchy outbreaks of snizzle/snow until Saturday evening when we seen the stream of showers heading our way and today has been similar to Saturday. Anyone know why there was a lack of instability? I know the flow was mainly an ESE'ly but we recieved sunshine and showers from this in the past and uppers were certainly cold in the North Sea, was thicknesses a little too high? Normally when I see pale greens/blues on wetterzentrale and -10 uppers, that would of suggested a sunshine and shower set up and not a grey sheet of cloud with limited instability.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

These unexpected showers before the heavy stuff tomorrow have dropped about an inch of fresh snow. Looking good now for the main event

I think you will be stuck in your house tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Forgotten what I said now tbh but thanks. smile.png I know alot of people were forecasting an convective weekend but unfortunately this did not quite happen as some may of been expecting really, only Friday was the true sunshine and snow showers day, the rest of the weekend was grey with patchy outbreaks of snizzle/snow until Saturday evening when we seen the stream of showers heading our way and today has been similar to Saturday. Anyone know why there was a lack of instability? I know the flow was mainly an ESE'ly but we recieved sunshine and showers from this in the past and uppers were certainly cold in the North Sea, was thicknesses a little too high? Normally when I see pale greens/blues on wetterzentrale and -10 uppers, that would of suggested a sunshine and shower set up and not a grey sheet of cloud with limited instability.

Thicknesses- Sc sheet will have been formed by a streak of weaker upper humidity values.

-Instability (sea temps and upper temps)

-Fetch (track)

-Wind Shear (less the better)

-Humidity

-Vorticity

are the most important

Tonight none of that matters, just the radar, lamp-posts and some drinks :)

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Just been to the local shop and on the way back a shower started and.......it was a rainy mix,(60/40 favouring snow) to be expected being only a half mile from the coastline I expect it was mostly rain in the town centre as I have elevation on my side although its only 90-100 ft asl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

The main band seems to be pivoting anti clockwise as it heads north.

Tremendous. If the clocks go back as the event hits, surely it will last longer and the snow depth will increase.

Happy days.

Posted

No ppn here... BUT DP is dropping all the same. This I take as a VERY good sign: currently 1.4°C / -1.2°C.

Posted

Just had a heavy hail shower.

Sky is orange.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

No ppn here... BUT DP is dropping all the same. This I take as a VERY good sign: currently 1.4°C / -1.2°C.

Same here, 1.4c/-1.3c just 10-15 miles north of you- which is encouraging.

Light precip may be the killer in the early hours, so if this falls as all snow, it's all fun tomorrow.

Posted

Quite an encouraging post from Stewart (GP) in the technical model thread emphasizing a return (If we ever leave it) to a cold regime around the 28th Jan (a week Monday) from a NE/E, he even states that the models could do a marked turn around come the weekend. He's certainly put his cards on the table and if this comes to fruition I expect you folk inland and elevated are going to have a rough time especially if theres no breakdown in the current conditions..!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

just had a groupel shower 20 miles from coast 57 metres above temp currently 1.4c dp -1.8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Alternating between grauple and snow here.

Posted

Quite an encouraging post from Stewart (GP) in the technical model thread emphasizing a return (If we ever leave it) to a cold regime around the 28th Jan (a week Monday) from a NE/E, he even states that the models could do a marked turn around come the weekend. He's certainly put his cards on the table and if this comes to fruition I expect you folk inland and elevated are going to have a rough time especially if theres no breakdown in the current conditions..!!

http://forum.netweat...60#entry2550061

Regardless of whether there is a breakdown or not, I distinctly remember the 2009 freeze and the models forecasting a breakdown before the cold returned, only for the breakdown to be a 24/36 hour affair in southern England before the cold returned from the NE.

Not saying this is going to happen again but certainly not to be discounted. FI is no further than T96 at most.

If it breaks down then so be it, no point getting hung up on the weather regardless! Just enjoy what we've had and whatever we get ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially cold and snow!

Just to let you know we're getting nailed here and far more snow has fallen than the 2-5cm predicted by the Met O. I can see this becoming even more extreme for the NE & E Scotland and I would ignore any 2-5cm predictions. I shall certainly be following this thread tomorrow!

Hi Teits,it's good to here my home town getting some decent snow for a change!After the great snow events of the early 80's p'boro always seemed to miss most of the snow hence my move up to the North East(and the love of a good women)!

The next 24hours are certainly going to be fun and even if my location may be a bit marginal for disruptive snow i can easily jump in my car and go snow hunting.

Andy