Spring Weather Chat

Barry12

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The first Daffodil came into flower here on April 19th, 27 days later than the 30 year average and the latest date since 1986.

The first Cowslip flower was out today, April 20th, 10 days later than the 30 year average and the latest date only since 2006 when the first one was out on April 23rd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

just seen a sycamore trying to leaf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

A few tulips almost out here. This time tomorrow and they will be.

Posted

It looks like spring has sprung across mainland europe today with many places in the low to mid 20's.

However most of good old blighty is stuck with low to mid teens and only single figure highs across Scandinavia.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It looks like spring has sprung across mainland europe today with many places in the low to mid 20's.

However most of good old blighty is stuck with low to mid teens and only single figure highs across Scandinavia.

We'll join in shortly I'm sure of it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Tulips been out 2 weeks here although they looks pained to be doing so.

The look of everything now is stunning compared to two weeks ago - it all looks so happy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The transformation in the part 2 weeks has been lovely to witness. Each day i have noticed the hedgerows getting greener all the time and the trees around here are bursting into leaf. It will be a glorious sight to see lush greenery again.

I dont think April so far has been too bad. Fair enough it started in a cold note but it was a sunny one and despite a poor second week it quickly warmed up and the last 2 weeks have been proper Springlike conditions with some nice warmth and sunshine. Nearby Humberside Airport has had only 1 day out of the last 12 below 14c. I would have liked some more April showers to really kickstart the growth but after so much cold its been lovely to enjoy the outdoors again and the lighter nights.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Usually we are a little earlier here that places around the same latitude in trees coming into leaf, but actually there is no sign of any leafing of trees at all.. the only leafing is the early spring flowerers like red flowering currant.. and obviously the Daffodils have gone over now.. it's very weird to see the Daffodils spent with no sign of growth on trees... It may well be the latest leafing up ill have witnessed in my life, and is about a month behind schedule, which is amazing really. 

With the low temperatures here this week (single figures plus frost for the next week or so), it looks like trees will be on hold still further.. perhaps not leafing up full until June blink.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Unlike in SP's odd land, trees are rapidly blooming here, lots of green emerging. Bluebells also peeping through in our woodland now. It could turn out quite a display with plenty of lush green, purple infused with the yellow of the daffodils although I suspect the daffs may begin fading soon enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Things definitely in bloom here!

post-94-0-55640700-1366892130_thumb.jpg

Nottingham Uni campus (across the road from my office).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Buds are appearing on many trees here now we are getting there slowly but surely any Gardeners on here watch out for slugs if your under the band of rain like me I've already covered 4 in salt this morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Being in Stephen's part of the world I can vouch for the fact that hardly anything has started to leaf around here, I've never seen our garden/  the general environment looking so barren and wintry, looking out it seriously could be late Feb rather than late April, I've never known such a late start to spring. I feel it's not just the unusually low general temperatures though, but also a drastic lack of sunshine round here, will have to check out the sunshine average for March and April. Another day of zero sunshine today, overcast with light rain and nudging 11c.

Edited by Cloudwatcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Tulips are almost out here too however some of the local daffs have pegged it already after being out for little over a week.

[/qiuote]

i

Posted

Usually we are a little earlier here that places around the same latitude in trees coming into leaf, but actually there is no sign of any leafing of trees at all.. the only leafing is the early spring flowerers like red flowering currant.. and obviously the Daffodils have gone over now.. it's very weird to see the Daffodils spent with no sign of growth on trees... It may well be the latest leafing up ill have witnessed in my life, and is about a month behind schedule, which is amazing really. 

With the low temperatures here this week (single figures plus frost for the next week or so), it looks like trees will be on hold still further.. perhaps not leafing up full until June blink.png

Unlike in SP's odd land, trees are rapidly blooming here, lots of green emerging. Bluebells also peeping through in our woodland now. It could turn out quite a display with plenty of lush green, purple infused with the yellow of the daffodils although I suspect the daffs may begin fading soon enough.

Coming from Stephens neck of the woods I can vouch for hardly anything looking "spring-like" round here. We have oak trees nearby that are still completely bare, and I feel the combination here of lower than average temperatures coupled with a drastic lack of sunshine has had a major negative impact on our spring.

Posted

Yes I suspect places further west have done worse for spring growth. During the easterly it was probably sunnier than it was here but temperatures were very low.

Now its warmed up you loose the sunshine whereas we gain it.

Saying that I'm often on the boundary line just here but gladly _just_ on the right side of it.

Posted

Yes I suspect places further west have done worse for spring growth. During the easterly it was probably sunnier than it was here but temperatures were very low.

Now its warmed up you loose the sunshine whereas we gain it.

Saying that I'm often on the boundary line just here but gladly _just_ on the right side of it.

Haha, trust me, the spell of Easterly predominating weather that we have endured up until the last ten days or so brought nothing but cloud to us, any sunshine has been scattered and very inconsistent. We have had some Atlantic based weather that freshened things up a little  but now seem to be back to square one. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Haha, trust me, the spell of Easterly predominating weather that we have endured up until the last ten days or so brought nothing but cloud to us, any sunshine has been scattered and very inconsistent. We have had some Atlantic based weather that freshened things up a little but now seem to be back to square one.

It's been like this for the past 12 months. Just days and days of bland nothingness. I'll be pleased to see a storm again.

I can't remember things being so boring for so long. Would have been even worse had we not had that Jan snowfall.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Yeah I guess that Ely flow was so strong that cloud covered the whole country. Well except the short period of deep cold we had which tended to clear things a little.<br />Its pretty cloudy here this week too - but we're getting enough sun through to warm things up and the humidity is keeping things nicely pleasant into the evening.

Posted

It's been like this for the past 12 months. Just days and days of bland nothingness. I'll be pleased to see a storm again.

I can't remember things being so boring for so long. Would have been even worse had we not had that Jan snowfall.

Lol, CreweCold, we are both going to get chucked off here for being Netweathers Grumpy Old Men haha but let's face it....it's getting beyond a joke in this part of the world. I would actually be pleased with a good downpour right now, proper heavy rain...but the weather seemingly for the past 12 months seems to have consisted of depressingly dull, overcast conditions, generally cool (we dropped to 9c here this afternoon-it felt like late January in the wind!) Rain when it has rained consists mainly of drizzle or light to moderate at best. Boring and mundane doesn't quite do it justice.Any rare sunshine we have seen is either very early in the morning, with it invariably clouding over at around 2pm...or very late evening when it's far too cool to enjoy it. The other feature recently is how windy it has been, even on the "nicer" days. I was out at about 3pm this afternoon and it's cold enough to see one's breath. It's really getting to me now haha! Does this picture pretty much fit with you too?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Lol, CreweCold, we are both going to get chucked off here for being Netweathers Grumpy Old Men haha but let's face it....it's getting beyond a joke in this part of the world. I would actually be pleased with a good downpour right now, proper heavy rain...but the weather seemingly for the past 12 months seems to have consisted of depressingly dull, overcast conditions, generally cool (we dropped to 9c here this afternoon-it felt like late January in the wind!) Rain when it has rained consists mainly of drizzle or light to moderate at best. Boring and mundane doesn't quite do it justice.Any rare sunshine we have seen is either very early in the morning, with it invariably clouding over at around 2pm...or very late evening when it's far too cool to enjoy it. The other feature recently is how windy it has been, even on the "nicer" days. I was out at about 3pm this afternoon and it's cold enough to see one's breath. It's really getting to me now haha! Does this picture pretty much fit with you too?

Pretty much. Any rain we have is light or moderate at best. Mostly it's just cloudy with the occasional brighter spell. Any showery days we have consist of a light shower in the morning before the instability buggers off east. Grim.

Whatever happened to those days when I was a kid where a hot clear day would be followed by increasing cloud and distant thunder.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

It's a special kind of sky cheese that we tend to decorate the place with from time to time...