Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 05/02/13 08 -------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I feel a naughty step moment is not far away. acute.gif

Well after the earlier promise of snaw, we just have the usual pish again!!!

OT, but for those of you voting no next year.... behold your new slogan!rofl.gif

282610_10151496335979747_626186954_n.jpg

I nearly posted something then that really would have got me on the naughty step. Oh yes... RU KOKM8

Cold rain lashing at the windows now. Just consoling myself by saying that it might have been snow a few hundred metres higher.

Edited by Hairy Celt

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

GOOD. About bloody time. If we expect to pay a quid for a "100% beef" meal then we should expect to be ripped off, same as those Jimmy Choo shoes in the market for a fiver are likely to be a bit rubbish, and the DVD for £3.50 out the back of a lorry won't play properly and always skips out a whole section of the film. You get what you pay for, is what I reckons... British meat for me, and if it means I eat a slightly smaller steak, then so be it - but I know where it's come from, and if I'm going to eat animals then I have a moral duty to source meat from animals properly reared and cared for.

Er, sorry, if someone could just give me a hand down off this soapbox I seem to ahve ended up on, thanks...

Weather here is dark and damp.

Venison from the hills, nowt better. Eat your enemy is my motto.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Venison from the hills, nowt better. Eat your enemy is my motto.

For about 3-4 years, a decade ago, I worked as a beater on a very small informal shoot - the first day when I was standing holding an injured, very much alive, frantic, panicking, deeply upset pheasant and had to ask another guy to kill it for me because I didn't know how to, I realised I would have a problem for the rest of my life eating meat I didn't know about... killing it myself*, and helping rear the young 'uns through the rest of the year when I could escape the city, meant it was the most honest meat I ever ate.

*never learnt to wring a neck confidently** so I just learnt to give one single hit at the back of the head that was instant.

**which may be of some comfort if any of you ever annoy me :D

Those winters were also fantastic for weather smile.png

Snaw - oodles of snaw! Lots of mud as well, but most importantly, plenty of SNAW!

Edited by BleakMidwinter

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

120h fax chart looks to be going for second slider aswell which is promising

fax120s.gif?10-12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

promising aswell is that the ecm wasnt on its own at going for cold

PLUIM_06260_NWT.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I assume its raining everywhere with not many updates in here

single fishing it down here

looks like another interesting unpredictable potentially coldish and snowish week of weather ahead.......hold onto your sledges

could also just be cauld and rainy

time will tell

Edited by edodfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side

Well actually it has been raining here for a few hours but as a heavier burst is passing through currently it is snowing but I don't think it will last long until it returns to rain.

Edited by GoldenJackel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I assume its raining everywhere with not many updates in here

single fishing it down here

looks like another interesting unpredictable potentially coldish and snowish week of weather ahead.......hold onto your sledges

could also just be cauld and rainy

time will tell

I honestly haven't looked, temperature is still 3C though so I doubt it's snowing, and if it is it certainly isn't lying. NMM signals snow shower risk extending well into Tuesday, with sleetiness near the coast and even about 10-15 miles inland at times, though generally snow becoming more prominent into tomorrow night. Models tend to underdo the risk of showers and while the flow looks slack the uppers also look quite good so by later tomorrow lying snow should be a real possibility for most eastern locations. Tuesday's issue is solar insolation being relatively strong and uppers not being overwhelmingly cold so temperatures could reach 3-4C (though DPs are likely below 0C) which might cause melting and non-lying snow but then we are into Tuesday night with a rare (for a winter with so many close shaves with the sneachd) air frost likely for most, persisting into Wednesday when the front moves in, starting as snow for all but turning to rain for some, maybe all, but my own gut feeling on this one is that we're more likely to see westward corrections on the front which will perhaps stop the milder air from winning that particular battle outright, at least at ground level.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Yeah his prediction is for "UK and the low countries to be hit by "Blizzard Chaos" from 13th - 16th will results in accumulation band drifts combined with winds over 50mph worst affected will be N England and majority of Scotland with much interest on the 13th especially" which is this Wednesday interesting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Yeah his prediction is for "UK and the low countries to be hit by "Blizzard Chaos" from 13th - 16th will results in accumulation band drifts combined with winds over 50mph worst affected will be N England and majority of Scotland with much interest on the 13th especially" which is this Wednesday interesting

I don't think there's a blizzard that Piers hasn't called, though most of those never actually happenedrofl.gif Mind you, it feels like the MO and also myself have been caught out at short range by events which quickly changed from snowy to not snowy. If we recall the winter of 2009/10 then all of the big snowfalls came absolutely out of nowhere at about 24 hours out, prompting a real vindication of the adage 'get the cold in and the snow will follow'. In this winter it seems that, for large periods, the models have been very regularly showing the latter with the former not in place beforehand.

Anyway, one model does show something that could conceivably look like what Piers suggests, and that is the GEM 12Z:

gem-0-96.png?12

This is as far east as the mild air gets:

gem-1-90.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

That's the bullseye

Cheers LS sounds like another 48hr roller coaster before Wednesday with mayb a surprise before then

post-15765-0-51605100-1360540261_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Just so you won't roll your eyes too much at the southern softies..... if it hasn't melted by the morning rush hour this will be why the media will be boring on about the heavy snow overnight. This bit of the M25 is between half a mile and a mile from my temporary English house. There are supposed to be 4 lanes in each direction under there somewhere. Snowing very heavily after a day of heavy rain with roads awash with huge puddles. Almost feels like Scotland !!

post-5195-0-83746600-1360541889_thumb.jp

post-5195-0-73111900-1360541927_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

He really talk the talks that piers one and his love for the met office is never ending ;-) sadly we don't get enough reports for UK from Big Joe. Can we expect anything good from Wednesday?

Posted

So nothing overnight, temps still on the high side and a pretty showerless looking radar. The Met Office forecast has lost any mention of showers in the east today with little interest until Wednesday. Even then the current forecast of rain preceded by snow usually means nothing for here but I'm clinging to the hope that for once we can get some cold in place. I can't ever remember a winter with such a lack of cold. I expect Wednesday to go from eye candy charts to a sleety mess.

Toys out today....

Posted

So nothing overnight, temps still on the high side and a pretty showerless looking radar. The Met Office forecast has lost any mention of showers in the east today with little interest until Wednesday. Even then the current forecast of rain preceded by snow usually means nothing for here but I'm clinging to the hope that for once we can get some cold in place. I can't ever remember a winter with such a lack of cold. I expect Wednesday to go from eye candy charts to a sleety mess.

Toys out today....

As totally expected I haven't seen one flake in this cold 'spell' and don't honestly expect to see any this week either

Latest BBC TV forecast is a rain fest for the Central Belt on Wednesday. Not helped my optimism...

The online BBC forecast looks quite snowy...maybe the TV one is the latest update?

I've heard that Disney have brought out a new weather model, it consistently shows snow three or four days out and most of the time it disnae happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well my hopes of waking to a wintry scene this morning were forlorn. It was snowing when I went to bed last night but all there was lying this morning in the village were some thin patches on the grass. I didn't even have to clear the car.

Been too busy over the weekend to look into the madhouse i.e Model Thread. If that doesn't show a nailed-on block either to the NE or NW then frankly I'd rather we just got on with Spring. I'd rather have some mild, dry weather than all this cold sleety rain. Not quite TOORP as for here at least it's been an OK winter, with a couple of periods of lying snow. It's not lived up to it's potential however and the most surprising feature has been the lack of any real cold.

Posted

I think the best thing would be expect nothing from wednesday that way we might be pleasently surprised (I'll myself go for either sleet or a slight covering that won't last too long) story of the winter really

Well my hopes of waking to a wintry scene this morning were forlorn. It was snowing when I went to bed last night but all there was lying this morning in the village were some thin patches on the grass. I didn't even have to clear the car.

Been too busy over the weekend to look into the madhouse i.e Model Thread. If that doesn't show a nailed-on block either to the NE or NW then frankly I'd rather we just got on with Spring. I'd rather have some mild, dry weather than all this cold sleety rain. Not quite TOORP as for here at least it's been an OK winter, with a couple of periods of lying snow. It's not lived up to it's potential however and the most surprising feature has been the lack of any real cold.

Don't bother with the models this morning...not very pretty at all.

Despite this winter containing one of the best snow events I have ever witnessed it has been a bit flat overall. We were promised much from some quarters, but it has never delivered for all, especially for Falkirk.

There seem to have been very few proper hard frosts; but it's hard to tell since it's my first full winter in the Borders.

Posted

The problem this winter has been a lack of deep cold with weather patterns far to mobile and when our weather is mobile it's Atlantic dominated. The result has been a lack of snow for many lowland areas.

I also think we were spoiled in 2009 and 2010 when there were a lot of upgraded snow events and we got used to this. I've now gone back to my old method of forecasting when snow is on the agenda which is, if something can go wrong it probably will.

Having said that there is still time for a taste of winter over the next month or so but I think things just need to settle down a bit, get a few frosts in and then it will happen.

As for Wednesday, it still looks ok for a few hours of heavy snow for quite a few of us and I'd take that. There will be a bit of cold at the surface, 2m temps actually look cold through to the afternoon and if the block can put up a bit of a fight for a change some of the snow starved areas might see a bt of lying snow which has been rare this winter.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I suppose if we look at the marginality. Scotland missed out on about 4 snow events by about 1.5c on some occasions. It's a case of what might have been. So depending on what way you look at it we were nearly there all winter but not quite. Best described as a frustrating winter. Think about this how many times did we actually have to scrape the car window in Jan/Feb very few. And how ofted was the ground hard under our feet with frost? Not very often so not even any deep cold.