Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 05/02/13 08 -------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

-9c 850s and SEly flow still equates to +3c here on the Fife coast. Makes you wonder just how cold the 850s would need to be to see air temps near freezing...sub -12c?

Yes, I think you are right, sub -12C. These are rare beasts!

Posted

I think lack of heavy precipitation rather than lack of cold is the reason - inland Fife, stirling, Perthshire, Angus and Aberdeenshire look good for a pasting (3+ inches) up to about 5 pm. Temperatures will head down this evening, we'll lose the easterly breeze supplying the cloud (and a few flurries) and hopefully by morning temperatures will be sitting below 0C virtually everywhere. The cold pool at surface level looks very resilient and will only leave after the positive uppers push through and turns precipitation to rain from above. Other hotspots include AWT and catch's houses, although not as intense for the latter as in the aforementioned areas and not as long lasting for the former.

Not managed to get 1 inch of snow yet, so here's hoping! smiliz39.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Prefer this one....

69632_10200619656443962_785616347_n.jpg

Nah....It's obvious guys....God's been told to make cuts too!biggrin.png

Grey, damp and cauld here today. 'nuff said.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Cold and dry here (although now thankful to report considerably warmer inside the house than out!)

I'll settle for any snaw at a'... I don't care if it settles, doesn't settle, settles but then vanishes within the hour... I just would love to see falling snaw and ideally go out for a walk in it...

I'll take anything I can get - but I'm not holding out much hope, as we don't do well from frontal systems from the West here. Hope the rest of you get to enjoy it, though, especially those who've missed out so far this winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Not managed to get 1 inch of snow yet, so here's hoping! smiliz39.gif

The NMM's take on snow accumulation:

post-9298-0-43259500-1360680369_thumb.pn

Posted

The NMM's take on snow accumulation:

post-9298-0-43259500-1360680369_thumb.pn

Looking far too borderline for the lowlands again (looks that way)

Posted

been snizzling most of the afternoon here, interspersed with graupel and snowflakes at times, but apart from a light covering this morning, no accumulation as yet.. looks like a repeat of last week whereby the convective showers may be all we have nearer the coast.. with the main band giving us a miss tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Oh dear, seems a charlift has derailed at the lecht. Some folk injured and some stuck.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-21434338

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder any extreme weather

Don't think we will get much from this front 2morrow, for me it really has been a very disappointing winter :( think I will need to move somewhere higher!

Posted

Fantastic sunny day here with a maximum of 4c currently -0.5c.

Noticed a field of turnips made 3 times its normal price at the Mart last week.Found out that it was bought by a grower of shopping neeps who was unable to fulfil his contract to processor/supermarket due to poor yield after last years poor weather and was facing a huge fine. I cannot understand anyone signing one of thees contracts.

The auctioneer who told me this also blamed the collapse in the price of lamb in the late autumn on the poor summer where lambs failed to grow on poor grass and only when they were given additional feed in the autumn did they start to grow and then they were all fat together and the market was flooded.You could say farmers should have noticed poor growth in the summer but usually summer grass is the best feed and gives the fastest growth. Last years weather was very original

This last years weather is going to be felt for another year and possibly longer if we do not get a good growing summer this year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Don't think we will get much from this front 2morrow, for me it really has been a very disappointing winter :( think I will need to move somewhere higher!

Agreed entirely,it does look as though it could be very wet tomorrow though!

If this is right then flooding a real possibility tomorrow.

post-18260-0-82210800-1360693517_thumb.j

Posted

Hum... The latest BBC forecast really, really downplaying the snow... It's really obvious that they will do absolutely everything to avoid predicting it if it's at all possible... I can to an extent understand this tendency, but it's pretty fustrating... Mind you, it's amusing when they get caught out by it!

So, I reckon it's wet snow city tomorrow, and maybe not even that...

Fingers crossed though... as has been said above, still plenty of time left for something juicy to turn up.....

Tim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A cold and cloudy day here with just an odd light snow flurry, mostly about lunchtime.

Currently 2c, cloudy with a light SSE breeze.

Another big wedge for us central belters

Plenty snow above us and below us

Nov 28 2010 is defo a Oman

It starts as snow but splits with your wedge after several hours:

post-2844-0-60502100-1360699330_thumb.gi

post-2844-0-18464400-1360699338_thumb.gi

post-2844-0-74282800-1360699354_thumb.gi

Before rain for more or less everyone:

post-2844-0-59975300-1360699362_thumb.gi

Enjoy it while it's falling because it will not last :good::(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I know you will be watching the match BUS either fae behind yer sofa or behind yer seat at Parkhead but the frost is not gonna materialise here with low cloud still prevalent :/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

It starts as snow but splits with your wedge after several hours:

post-2844-0-60502100-1360699330_thumb.gi

post-2844-0-18464400-1360699338_thumb.gi

post-2844-0-74282800-1360699354_thumb.gi

Before rain for more or less everyone:

post-2844-0-59975300-1360699362_thumb.gi

Enjoy it while it's falling because it will not last good.gifsad.png

It is a case of 'fun while it lasts' because by the evening it will be washed away by some very heavy rain, as NUT alluded to earlier. Ignore the latest NAE by the way, the output isn't actually the 18Z, it's just the 12Z even though it will say 18Z on it. Either that or there's some sublime inter-run consistency going onlaugh.png

Anyway, here's the GFS take on snow accumulations at 12Z and 18Z:

13021312_1218.gif

13021318_1218.gif

I think it could be quite a special event with some intense snowfall and good totals before it gets washed away. A real pity we couldn't have stalled the front a bit longer but such is life.

Another big wedge for us central belters

Plenty snow above us and below us

Nov 28 2010 is defo a Oman

What do you mean by that exactly?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

We got our snowy & sunny hill day at last, went up the favourite hill towards Ullapool and were walking through frozen snow straight from the roadside. Best day out with youngest HC yet.smile.png

It was rather hazy so no decent big landscapes.

I think it could be quite a special event with some intense snowfall and good totals before it gets washed away. A real pity we couldn't have stalled the front a bit longer but such is life.

While I was underwhelmed about Sunday I'm actually looking forward to some pretty heavy snow tomorrow, defo a shame it will not last. A good 6 hours plus of proper snow to go before it rains, could be a cracker on high ground until even there the rain comes :(