Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Alba Regional Discussion 20/03/13 21z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The real deal intensity wise (not sure whether what we have at the moment is actually the front or not) seems to be just pushing up into D+G at the moment. NAE suggests the best (or worst) is still to come:

13032300_2206.gif

Can report Edinburgh's snow is theoretical only in spite of the radar, once again, seemingly the snow shield is permanent and indestructible laugh.png

Posted

Grey driech miserable windy day here in Aberdeen. A few graupel showers earlier on but nothing significant, temp was around 1 deg when i left house at 645am but with wind felt much colder. Hope all the folks down glasgow area see some decent snow, heard reports Kilmacolm (old house) area is seeing good snowfall.So some areas must be getting a good amount.

Posted

The real deal intensity wise (not sure whether what we have at the moment is actually the front or not) seems to be just pushing up into D+G at the moment. NAE suggests the best (or worst) is still to come:

13032300_2206.gif

Can report Edinburgh's snow is theoretical only in spite of the radar, once again, seemingly the snow shield is permanent and indestructible laugh.png

if that is correct then almost every part of scotland will see snow in the next 24hours and it trruely would be a march to remember. LS where can i find the latest runs showing the upper temps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

if that is correct then almost every part of scotland will see snow in the next 24hours and it trruely would be a march to remember. LS where can i find the latest runs showing the upper temps?

http://www.woeurope.eu/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=eu&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=t850&HH=42&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=&WMO=

13032209_2206.gif

-11C at the moment in the northeast, impressive!

Posted

13032300_2206.gif

Think that second band will reach here LS?

Posted

Think that second band will reach here LS?

More likely to than the first one was certainly, though it is a tough shield to crack.

Posted

The snow has almost stopped now in Glasgow city centre as the first front dies out. The second front looks much heavier but definitely is not moving at the pace of the first. Have no idea how far north this one will get.

Posted

Front 1 has obviously died of death. I wonder if Front 2 will visit later on....................

Posted

Looks like the heaviest precip stopped SW of glasgow scotster. Second fromt looks a little bit more oooommmffff to it but is moving very slowly. by looks of radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Looks like the heaviest precip stopped SW of glasgow scotster. Second fromt looks a little bit more oooommmffff to it but is moving very slowly. by looks of radar

I hope it gets here otherwise all my snow on the ground will have been blasted into the ether by this wind :winky:

Posted

I take it any potential convection is likely to kick in for the east after this sytem moves south?

Posted

I take it any potential convection is likely to kick in for the east after this sytem moves south?

the METO has significantly downgraded its forecast of snow for Aberdeen for tonight into tommorrow with no snow now forecast for tommorrow after lunchtime and nothing into sunday either. not sure what its like for further south on the east coast but im not counting my chickens just yet. Somethings not stacking up in terms of whats happening (and i dont mean the snow)

Posted

the METO has significantly downgraded its forecast of snow for Aberdeen for tonight into tommorrow with no snow now forecast for tommorrow after lunchtime and nothing into sunday either. not sure what its like for further south on the east coast but im not counting my chickens just yet. Somethings not stacking up in terms of whats happening (and i dont mean the snow)

I know. Local forecast is now 'wintry showers'. Ah well....wait and see. With -12c uppers pushing in I'd expect something unless we maintain cloud cover which at the minute looks quite likely.

Posted

I know. Local forecast is now 'wintry showers'. Ah well....wait and see. With -12c uppers pushing in I'd expect something unless we maintain cloud cover which at the minute looks quite likely.

Yup the uppers are cold enough but the grey miserable cloud is hanging around. Watching and waiting game again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well certainly all I can see outside at the moment is an unbroken sheet of light-grey cloud. Still the occasional flurry of snow coming from it but they are very short-lived.

Posted

I think this will be the issue unfortunately, plus the feed is SE'ly. My guess right now is Embra will be predominantly dry, cold and grey this weekend, sound familiar!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Something is happening that i've never seen before, Loch Ness and Loch Oich seem to be generating generating precipitation!

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Looks like over the next day or two the flow will back more east, hopefully a shade north of that. Frustrating though, the cold is very much in place ... need other factors to play out though as usual for snaw.

Happy to go with the cold until midnight end of March 31st, after that I want to be done with it. Long daylight hours but with January-type cold really messes with the heid...

I think this will be the issue unfortunately, plus the feed is SE'ly. My guess right now is Embra will be predominantly dry, cold and grey this weekend, sound familiar!

Posted

Warnings updated to include more of the west coast and Glasgow area. Extending towards West Lothian area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Lets not forget, METO are crap at precipitation forecasts for Scottish east-coast in easterlies. I'd basically ignore anything they say in that context !