Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chase Day 16 - Slight risk CO/KS/NE

nsrobins

Posted

Far SW NE/NE KS for me for some upslope magic. Initiation (RAP) around Bird City, KS to Imperial, NE with maxed EHI from 21Z. A half-decent LLJ by 23Z may be enough to induce rotation but the scenery is terrific so on the road and the early bird gets the worm so to speak.

Posted

We're off from our overnight stay in Childress, TX wacko.png Long haul up to NE Colorado.....this is going to hurt but hopefully a nice prize at the end of it :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter thunder in summer ,sun other times

blimey arron thats one long trip , best of luck finding a prize when there too

Posted

I am late to add my forecast for today but given your starting location (Childress, TX) I am working what is doable for your selves driving wise J

The SPC have SE NE with a 5% (tornado) but I am interested in an area just a tad South and West of there. I do expect storms to form on the North side of the Johnson Mesa and then track North East towards Lamar to Cheyenne Wells , actually quite early around 22Z. HRRR backs this up as well with a solid signature for a convective bomb  over Lamar to Cheyenne Wells.

I would be tempted to sit in Cheyenne Wells so that you can pick up any developments to the south and allow them to pull you north.

If you can spend the night on I80 then all options are open for day2 and 3

Edit- I would hold in Lamar or better Granada. SPC have also just latched on to this setup and have moved the 5% to this area!

Edited by Stu Robinson

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

For a chippy tea for the northerners car!

Posted

McDonalds consumed bad.gif (first one since being out here for me! :D ) Going to scoot east and then north up the colorado/kansas border

Posted

Evening/afternoon. Just had a heavy shower of rain and hail pass over here. Strong and gusty NE wind. Temp 7.6C. Just thought you'd like to know!
Charles Edwards and others are parked at Loves Fuel stop in E Olive St, Lamar. The object dangling above the door is flapping around like mad and from that I deduce there is a strong S breeze blowing there search.gif 

Posted

Yep just had lunch there, was a tad breezy and not very moist!

Posted

Team, you may have visual contact soon with developing cells to your west that are heading northeast. Would imagine that these will fire up into supercells over 2-3 hours with the actual chase portion being a bit further north, but it's possible you're already close to ground zero, somewhere between Lamar and Wray looks good to me for eventual storms.

Have added this Pueblo CO radar

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?product=NCR&rid=pux&loop=yes

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Looks fine to me! Window's getting a clean, too. :) Good luck today! good.gif

Posted

The higher dps are pushing North along and east of the 'warm' frontal/DL boundary that currently lies just in the CO side of the CO/KS line. I see the Denver Cyclone has set up and this will assist this process, pushing the higher dp air upslope and into the boundary which is probably underway looking at the developing Cu field.
I still feel the corner region into the far SW of NE will be a decent place into the 22Z-23Z period but we'll see.

Posted

Gassed up in Cheyenne Wells and now heading back down the road to take a peek at the cell that has popped up :D

Posted

There's a long train of cells following that track, the one now leaving the mountains north of Trinidad CO looks strongest, would estimate 2-3 hours travel time (for the cell) to reach the current location of team. It's visible on the radar link I provided a few posts back. But one of the three cells in between could also go severe in the intervening time, would think you're perfectly positioned now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

If you look at "charles edwards" cam on chaserTV, hes going up the same road the netweather team should be on.

Edit:- Look like they have gone passed him already.

Edited by BlackSkyuk

Posted

Looking at current evolution on radar to west, there's a trend northward within the complex of cells and I would project an active storm zone about 20w Lamar to 20n Lamar about 90 mins from now, or about 0015z. Time zone boundary is close to team location so they are effectively in Mountain time now, sunset would be as late as 03z towards Pueblo and Denver, 0230z near KS border.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

live stream not working for me tonight - watching on chaserTV instead !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Got some rotation on "Jeff stoecklein" on chaserTV biggrin.png .

Posted

/me bangs head on dash! Sorry guys it's been an utter pain tonight, been battling with it for over an hour, should be up and running again.

Posted

The cell West of Imperial, NE is developing a pretty decent mid-level circulation by the looks of things. Looks like a 'mini-mothership' on Jeff Stoeckleins stream.The ones just North and South of that aren't too shabby either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I do like the infra red cam that spencer albracht is using, just south of Woodward. Shows the clouds through rain wrapped territory

edited to add, ben macmillan is on the way -he set off very late - so there should be some action!

Edited by matty40s