Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Request for Information

VillagePlank

Posted

Hi all,

I am trying to do a little climate modelling, and, for the life of me, I can't find a collection of earth surface types, their albedo, and their respective surface areas. Does anyone know a good peer-reviewed source?

Thanks in advance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Posted

Thanks, J. Unfortunately, the info link on that page is broken. What I seem to find impossible to find is not only albedo values (which, unsurprisingly vary quite a bit from author to author) but how much of the stuff there is on the planet. ie how much forest, how much snow, how much farmland. Surely, someone, somewhere must have done it ....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Thanks, J. Unfortunately, the info link on that page is broken. What I seem to find impossible to find is not only albedo values (which, unsurprisingly vary quite a bit from author to author) but how much of the stuff there is on the planet. ie how much forest, how much snow, how much farmland. Surely, someone, somewhere must have done it ....

I put 'Albedo' into the search bar on that NASA site and it came up with this...... https://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/search/node/albedo Any good?

Have you tried searching the IPCC site? The info must be on there somewhere.

Also, this is quite handy, on the left are links to all sorts of stuff, the info you require may be lurking in one of those official data sites?? http://www.climatedebatedaily.com/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Hi all,

I am trying to do a little climate modelling, and, for the life of me, I can't find a collection of earth surface types, their albedo, and their respective surface areas. Does anyone know a good peer-reviewed source?

Thanks in advance.

What kind of model are you building? What kind of resolution are you using?