Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot and settled spell discussion and temperature reports July 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Just seen this on the BBC website!

"At Westminster, several MPs have backed an early day motion calling for a maximum temperature for workplaces.

They say no-one should have to work anywhere that is above 30C (86F) and those doing "strenuous work" should be allowed to down tools once their workplace reaches 27C (81F)."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23325078

Does that include chefs? ..

Roflmao...MPs backed a motion? Heat...No, they really really haven't got a friggin' clue! The world would laugh out loud :) "Hello yes one first class ticket to Edinburgh please? " "Sorry Sir..no can do bit hot in here air cons busted..." Oh and works on tracks delayed..Beats wrong kinda snow I suppose.

Posted

No idea, that's the only part I've seen, not read into it yet but it does seem a tad bit too low, maybe if they said temperatures of over 35oC in the workplace or 40oC for chefs or they did it relative to the line of work then it would make more sense...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Where does the 6C rise come from despite winds coming from a similar direction? Not too convinced of any temp profiles after 5 days on the BBC site tbh. 

1mph drop in speed?..

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Where does the 6C rise come from despite winds coming from a similar direction? Not too convinced of any temp profiles after 5 days on the BBC site tbh. 

The two temperatures on top is the range that the max temp could be, for example the lowest it could possibly be on that day is 20, the highest 38, so the top row is 20/38

The bottom two is the range of the mins, so the lowest it could be is 13 and the highest 21 hence 13/21

It's guesswork at that point.. as basically it is just the whole range of possible temperatures that it could be in July, but the range of the max is higher as the uppers have increased. after day 2 of a southerly flow the uppers will be higher which could lead to temps in the mid-high 30s, but that's a big if.

Posted

For some reason I cant even get beyond the 5 day forecast on that BBC weather website, let alone into next week. Quite prepared to admit it is proably me being thick though.

Posted

1mph drop in speed..

I never said wind speed, I said wind direction... Traditionally an NE'ly is a cooler direction for areas further South and East hence temps in these areas will be lower than they have been during the weekend so I am struggling to understand how there would be a 6C rise in the temperatures? Suppose stranger things have happened though. 

If the GFS 18Z came off then yes, temps could get up into the mid 30's somewhere next week as the upper flow is an SE'ly and surface winds will be an ESE'ly which means less sea track and a warm continent where winds will be blowing from. 

Posted

No idea, that's the only part I've seen, not read into it yet but it does seem a tad bit too low, maybe if they said temperatures of over 35oC in the workplace or 40oC for chefs or they did it relative to the line of work then it would make more sense...

I have worked in a kitchen during a heatwave many years ago it was one event in the mid 90s probably 95 it was well over 100F(37C+) in the kitchen and eventually they shut it down. There should be a danger level but for places like restaurants and takeaway shops then things would be difficult for business if the 27C max was established I think. In the Kitchen hanging around a grill is hot enough under normal outside conditions but in a heatwave it's unbearable I really do feel for those chefs and just think the restaurants eating areas are cooler, maybe put in an extra tip when we go for a meal then!

Posted

I never said wind speed, I said wind direction... Traditionally an NE'ly is a cooler direction for areas further South and East hence temps in these areas will be lower than they have been during the weekend so I am struggling to understand how there would be a 6C rise in the temperatures? Suppose stranger things have happened though. 

If the GFS 18Z came off then yes, temps could get up into the mid 30's somewhere next week as the upper flow is an SE'ly and surface winds will be an ESE'ly which means less sea track and a warm continent where winds will be blowing from. 

Thanks for that, sorry I did go back an edit was meant to place a (?) but as you say it is the direction that makes the difference, we can have strong hot winds if from the right direction drawing in the heat, this usually from the continent.

Posted

It's true they do try and cover both opinions, except for one female BBC weather presenter (I forget the name) who was saying how hot and unpleasant it would be one day when the temperatures were just 26C - I mean for some people yes that is too warm but really? It's sometimes nice having a personality to a weather forecast (Rob McElwee eg) when they present unbiased opinions, but I think I sometimes prefer European forecasts where they just show a map and read out the temperatures/conditions instead of all this 'It's going to be a very hot day, unpleasant for sleeping (when lows are just in the mid teens), stay indoors etc. Our weather is tame to the majority of the population on this planet - southern Europeans would laugh at us calling 26C too hot!

and we would laugh at them if it got down to 5c in sevilla in winter and they were complaining that they felt like they were going to die of hypothermia, though of course 5c still feels cold for us even if its not technically that cold, but they would hate it more simply cos those temps are not normal for them

Posted

Please read the below advice on keeping well during the heatwave.

Heat exhaustion and heatstroke are two heat-related health conditions. If they're not quickly treated, they can both be very serious.

Heat exhaustion

Heat exhaustion can occur when the temperature inside the body (the core temperature) rises to anything between the normal 37°C (98.6°F) up to 40°C (104°F). 

At this temperature, the levels of water and salt in the body begin to fall, which can cause a person to feel sick, feel faint and sweat heavily. Read more about the symptoms of heat exhaustion.

If a person with heat exhaustion is taken quickly to a cool place, is given water to drink and has their excess clothing removed, they should begin to feel better within half an hour and have no long-term complications.

Without treatment, they could develop heatstroke.

Certain groups are more at risk of developing heatstroke or suffering complications from dehydration, and should be taken to hospital. This includes: 

• [*]children under two years old [*]very elderly people [*]people with 
kidneyheart or circulation problems [*]people with diabetes who use insulin

Read more about treating heat exhaustion.

Heatstroke

Heatstroke is far more serious than heat exhaustion. It occurs when the body can no longer cool itself and starts to overheat.

When the core temperature rises above 40°C (104°F) the cells inside the body begin to break down and important parts of the body stop working.

If left untreated, it can lead to complications, such as organ failure and brain damage. Some people die from heatstroke.

The symptoms of heatstroke can include:

• [*]mental confusion [*]rapid shallow breathing (hyperventilation) [*]loss of consciousness

Read more about the symptoms of heatstroke.

What to do

Heatstroke is a medical emergency and should be treated immediately. Dial 999 to request an ambulance if you suspect heatstroke. 

While you're waiting for an ambulance to arrive, make sure that the person is as cool as possible. Move them to a cool area as quickly as possible, remove excess clothing and try to cool them by fanning them. If they're conscious, give them cool, not cold, water to drink.

Read more about treating heatstroke.

Who's at risk?

Heatstroke can affect anyone, but some people are more at risk than others and should take extra precautions during warm weather, especially during a heatwave. These include:

• [*]the elderly [*]babies and young children [*]people with conditions that affect the body's ability to cool down, such as diabetes [*]those who have drunk too much alcohol (which dehydrates the body) [*]people on certain drugs and medications, such as antipsychotics and betablockers [*]people who might find it difficult to keep cool during a heatwave – for example, those who are bed-bound or disabled.

Read more about the causes of heat stroke

Avoiding heat exhaustion and heatstroke

There are steps you can take to reduce the risk of heat exhaustion and heatstroke during a heatwave:

• [*]Stay out of the sun during the hottest parts of the day, particularly between 11am and 3pm. [*]If you have to go out in the heat, walk in the shade, apply sunscreen and wear a hat. [*]Don't leave anyone in a parked car. [*]Avoid extreme physical exertion. [*]Have plenty of cold drinks, but avoid drinks that contain caffeine and alcohol. [*]Eat cold foods, particularly salads and fruit with a high water content. [*]Take a cool shower, bath or body wash. [*]Sprinkle water over your skin or clothing, or keep a damp cloth on the back of your neck. [*]Keep your environment cool.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/heat-exhaustion-and-heatstroke/Pages/Introduction.aspx

"Don't leave anyone in a parked car" (during heatwaves)  the advice is for people but don't forget animals must not be left in a car or other hot vehicle. Keep look out for dogs or even cats shut up in hot cars/other vehicles please!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Another Hot day coming should reach the upper 20's here. Unfortunately is now taking a long time to cool down so you can't cool house down in the evening as early as you would like.

Posted

"At Westminster, several MPs have backed an early day motion calling for a maximum temperature for workplaces.

They say no-one should have to work anywhere that is above 30C (86F) and those doing "strenuous work" should be allowed to down tools once their workplace reaches 27C (81F)."

Excellent idea! This means that I wouldn't have done any work for months, and even in winter would sometimes lead to an 'early bath'! At our works yesterday evening, walking out through the door felt like walking into a fridge. Really. Still, management were kind enough to buy us an ice lolly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

This July has been extremely similar to that of 2006 in relation to the stability, every day you wake up and it's blue skies. 

Still don't think it'll beat the July of 2006 with temperatures though, I was at school back then and remember nearly every day being above 30c. 

We've hit 30c twice so far down here near Cambridge. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

This July has been extremely similar to that of 2006 in relation to the stability, every day you wake up and it's blue skies. 

Still don't think it'll beat the July of 2006 with temperatures though, I was at school back then and remember nearly every day being above 30c. 

We've hit 30c twice so far down here near Cambridge. 

I think it will, next week, summer hols not been hot really since '03

Posted

UK weather: Britain in midst of first heatwave for seven years

Forecasters say that today could again break the record for the warmest day of the year

Posted

Alright so long as you do not work in such places, been there and done that and watched as people passed out the heat, not good and not fair.

Also used to to work in "freezer" conditions and we had to work hard to get clothing to match our job.

In such conditions "no one" is soft....

I do hard physical work outdoors, although it hasn't quite reached 27C yet it feels much hotter in the sun and humidity. For someone tapping away at a keyboard 30C will not kill them, appropriate clothing is the answer, same in the winter. There just seems to be a mentality in this country that it's too hot, too cold for work, can't get in because the road has an inch of snow on it, etc.  

My "workplace" is the great outdoors, so how do they police work conditions for me? Can I go home if it hits 27C, as I do "strenuous" work?

Exactly, it's part and parcel with the job of working outdoors, sometimes it's hot, sometimes cold, sometimes you get soaking wet. Looks like the south could be grinding to a halt next week with everyone going home to sunbathe! 

Posted

I think it will, next week, summer hols not been hot really since '03

Umm I'm not so sure. For it to rival that of 2006 we would need to get hot air come up from France and a SW wind to allow the temperature to steadily rise. If you look at the temps for France etc there hovering around 30c so a temp for us above that is off the cards. The temps we're getting now are really only due to our own high pressure and jet stream. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though. I just don't feel it's hot enough to the south for us to get temps much higher than 30c. 

2003 was a freak period of hot weather due to a European heatwave and I don't see that happening this year certainly. 

I defiantly remember 2006 being hotter, I remember my birthday on the last day of term being 32c+ 

I'm certainly not complaining though, it's pretty warm and most importantly stable. Just don't see it being record breaking or equaling that of 2006 etc for temps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Umm I'm not so sure. For it to rival that of 2006 we would need to get hot air come up from France and a SW wind to allow the temperature to steadily rise. If you look at the temps for France etc there hovering around 30c so a temp for us above that is off the cards. The temps we're getting now are really only due to our own high pressure and jet stream. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though. I just don't feel it's hot enough to the south for us to get temps much higher than 30c. 

2003 was a freak period of hot weather due to a European heatwave and I don't see that happening this year certainly. 

I defiantly remember 2006 being hotter, I remember my birthday on the last day of term being 32c+ 

I'm certainly not complaining though, it's pretty warm and most importantly stable. Just don't see it being record breaking or equaling that of 2006 etc for temps. 

July 2006 was hotter - the hottest month ever recorded.

I used to live in York then and we had a two week spell where the temperature was above 28c most days, hitting 33c one day!

Here are the stats:

16/07/2006 19.1 28.5 10.7 2.7 13.4 1029.0 1022.0 0.0 78.0 22.0 11.0 1440 17/07/2006 22.9 33.0 13.7 2.0 11.6 1024.0 1020.0 0.0 71.0 12.0 14.0 1440 18/07/2006 22.3 29.7 13.8 3.1 16.8 1021.0 1017.0 0.0 69.0 21.0 14.0 1440 19/07/2006 20.7 26.9 13.5 4.1 19.0 1018.0 1013.0 0.0 74.0 30.0 12.0 1440 20/07/2006 19.7 27.1 15.7 3.5 16.8 1015.0 1011.0 0.4 78.0 41.0 12.0 1440 21/07/2006 22.0 28.7 15.2 2.5 12.5 1016.0 1013.0 0.0 75.0 30.0 15.0 1440 22/07/2006 21.0 28.5 16.9 2.2 20.1 1014.0 1011.0 18.6 77.0 32.0 12.0 1440 23/07/2006 19.8 25.6 16.0 3.4 19.0 1017.0 1012.0 0.0 78.0 33.0 14.0 1440 24/07/2006 20.2 28.2 11.8 2.8 16.8 1019.0 1016.0 0.0 75.0 29.0 12.0 1440 25/07/2006 21.2 27.8 14.4 4.1 18.6 1018.0 1013.0 0.0 73.0 32.0 14.0 1440 26/07/2006 22.6 29.8 17.7 2.2 11.0 1014.0 1011.0 0.0 74.0 33.0 15.0 1440 27/07/2006 22.5 28.1 17.5 2.6 12.5 1013.0 1010.0 0.0 71.0 33.0 16.0 1440 28/07/2006 22.1 29.4 15.9 2.7 13.4 1011.0 1006.0 0.0 69.0 23.0 14.0 1440 29/07/2006 21.3 27.1 15.5 5.5 24.2 1007.0 1000.0 0.0 76.0 29.0 16.0 1440

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted

That's what annoys me about this country, absolutely ridiculous. 

Only yesterday I was putting fence posts in, doing manual digging and lifting, while it is pretty warm, if you carry enough water it's perfectly workable and pleasant, you just sweat a lot. We're not talking Australian and Arabian temperatures here that can exceed 40c. I barely even consider it a heatwave. 

I can understand it for old people and the weak because it can make them very ill but for anybody even moderately healthy it shouldn't be of any concern not matter what their doing.

Typical British over exaggeration, moan if it's cold and moan if it's 'too hot'.  

Posted

July 2006 was hotter - the hottest month ever recorded.

I used to live in York then and we had a two week spell where the temperature was above 28c most days, hitting 33c one day!

Here are the stats:

16/07/2006 19.1 28.5 10.7 2.7 13.4 1029.0 1022.0 0.0 78.0 22.0 11.0 1440 17/07/2006 22.9 33.0 13.7 2.0 11.6 1024.0 1020.0 0.0 71.0 12.0 14.0 1440 18/07/2006 22.3 29.7 13.8 3.1 16.8 1021.0 1017.0 0.0 69.0 21.0 14.0 1440 19/07/2006 20.7 26.9 13.5 4.1 19.0 1018.0 1013.0 0.0 74.0 30.0 12.0 1440 20/07/2006 19.7 27.1 15.7 3.5 16.8 1015.0 1011.0 0.4 78.0 41.0 12.0 1440 21/07/2006 22.0 28.7 15.2 2.5 12.5 1016.0 1013.0 0.0 75.0 30.0 15.0 1440 22/07/2006 21.0 28.5 16.9 2.2 20.1 1014.0 1011.0 18.6 77.0 32.0 12.0 1440 23/07/2006 19.8 25.6 16.0 3.4 19.0 1017.0 1012.0 0.0 78.0 33.0 14.0 1440 24/07/2006 20.2 28.2 11.8 2.8 16.8 1019.0 1016.0 0.0 75.0 29.0 12.0 1440 25/07/2006 21.2 27.8 14.4 4.1 18.6 1018.0 1013.0 0.0 73.0 32.0 14.0 1440 26/07/2006 22.6 29.8 17.7 2.2 11.0 1014.0 1011.0 0.0 74.0 33.0 15.0 1440 27/07/2006 22.5 28.1 17.5 2.6 12.5 1013.0 1010.0 0.0 71.0 33.0 16.0 1440 28/07/2006 22.1 29.4 15.9 2.7 13.4 1011.0 1006.0 0.0 69.0 23.0 14.0 1440 29/07/2006 21.3 27.1 15.5 5.5 24.2 1007.0 1000.0 0.0 76.0 29.0 16.0 1440

Yep, I was certain it was.

Like I said this July is very similar in terms of stability though which is great.

We'll see how it goes next week but I'm pretty confident we won't see 32+.  

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

18c min and clear skies once more today. 22.7c so far and on our way to 28c today.

The office has started the day 2c higher each morning so we're kicking off with 26c today. Gonna be hot come 4pm...

This week really has felt like the proper warm spell as its been uninterrupted since Sunday mornings cloud and consistently warm. Just hope the weekend low cloud potential doesn't spoil that!

Posted

Why do you think that? 18C uppers could be very close to our shores come next week, and even today may reach 32C!

I just don't think it'll quite do it, may be wrong though. 

The max temp today at Heathrow today is 30 supposedly. I think it'll just crack 31c. Probably won't quiet beat the 31.6c. You're much more experienced with the weather than me though so you could be right. 

Whatever happens we won't see anywhere close to the 2006 max of 36c during this heatwave.