Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How cold you feel inside an eye of a cyclone?

Posted
  • Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Altitude: 189 m, Density Altitude: 6 m
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical Cyclone, Blizzard, Thunderstorm, Freezing Cold Day and Heat Wave.

In Wikipedia, I saw that the most intense (lowest central pressure) record happened in October 12, 1979, during Super Typhoon Tip in northwest Pacific Ocean and it was 870 hPa. And I remembered one day, when I was in 1300 m - 1400 m altitude with about the same atmospheric pressure. I felt very cold compared with sea level. So... Now, I am wondering how cold you feel inside an eye of a cyclone? And how is the atmospheric pressure around the eye?

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

In Wikipedia, I saw that the most intense (lowest central pressure) record happened in October 12, 1979, during Super Typhoon Tip in northwest Pacific Ocean and it was 870 hPa. And I remembered one day, when I was in 1300 m - 1400 m altitude with about the same atmospheric pressure. I felt very cold compared with sea level. So... Now, I am wondering how cold you feel inside an eye of a cyclone? And how is the atmospheric pressure around the eye?

It's strange in a way because quite often I travel via the A75 in France across the Massif Central where a good part of the road is 800 to 1000 metre, rising to 1125 metres at its highest point.When travelling over there in the summer it is often quite warm and even hot at times - I wonder if the effect of travelling over a plateau makes any difference to the local lapse rates.On the the hand travelling over in the winter when the sun has less of a warming effect the differences in temperature with altitude are much more pronounced.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical Cyclone, Blizzard, Thunderstorm, Freezing Cold Day and Heat Wave.

So, air temperature and heat index are not influenced by atmospheric pressure?