Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Dominating westerlies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Seeing as it is now nearly January and I have yet to see any Snow this season,I was wondering when we last had a winter dominated by so many westerly winds,storms and such a lack of easterliy or northerly influxes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Seeing as it is now nearly January and I have yet to see any Snow this season,I was wondering when we last had a winter dominated by so many westerly winds,storms and such a lack of easterliy or northerly influxes.

I would have thought nearly every year, Nov to mid Jan is the time of year when westerlies are the most dominant, Mid Jan to Mid Apr is the winter, so in a way winter not started yet, no panic about the normality of westerlies in late Dec

Posted

The 5 years from late 1997 to late 2002 were pretty much one long westerly spell as I remember, save for July 1999 and spells in Feb, Mar 2001 and Dec/early Jan 2001/2. Flood after flood that period brought here...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I would have thought winter 2006/07 was the last time we have had a real zonal winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

I would have thought winter 2006/07 was the last time we have had a real zonal winter.

The winters of 2007/2008 and 2011/2012 were also very zonal apart from the first half of February 2012.

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted

The winters of 2006/07, 2007/08 and 2011/12 were all almost unrelentingly zonal. All more snowless than any winter between 1998 and 2006 here. It is like we have regressed back to the late 80s/early 90s with all these relentlessly zonal write-off winters in such a short space of time.

• Like 1