Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 21st May 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Why is the estofex warning for the south east, yet the metoffice exclude the south east?

Guess its a fluid changing situation with differing ideas as to how it pans out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Why is the estofex warning for the south east, yet the metoffice exclude the south east?

Estofex warning is for a risk of severe thunderstorms, but if you notice Estofex lightning zone is only around 15%, where as across the west up to 50%.

However, should storms develop in the Lvl 1 zone (or 'SLIGHT' zone on Nick F's forecast) they are more likely to turn severe.

I can only guess as I alluded to above, its that the impact of storms will be less in the SE, whereas the west has had considerably more rainfall of late...I'm guessing/hoping

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms of any kind, Snow

Guess its a fluid changing situation with differing ideas as to how it pans out.

Ah okay, well at least that makes it more exciting :)
  • Like 1

Posted

Estofex warning is for a risk of severe thunderstorms, but if you notice Estofex lightning zone is only around 15%, where as across the west up to 50%. However, should storms develop in the Lvl 1 zone (or 'SLIGHT' zone on Nick F's forecast) they are more likely to turn severe. I can only guess as I alluded to above, its that the impact of storms will be less in the SE, whereas the west has had considerably more rainfall of late...I'm guessing/hoping

That makes sense since the meto's job is more to warn people of flooding and estofex is specifically thunderstorms
  • Like 1

Posted

Coffee sounds good but not liking the bad view :)

Think Im going to hang tight for another 1/2hr and see what the SE of the cell does

Looks like you wont need to move far after all!! You sodsa pinched it :-D

Posted

Ah okay, well at least that makes it more exciting :)

Indeed!

Posted

Is it just me or is part of that storm branching east?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Nice storm here at the moment, just us on the IoW presently, hope you all get to share it.

Looks like worse (lol better) still to come on radar.

Lovely long echoing rumbles, nice and dramatic.

almost continuous rumbles, loud too...

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Nice storm here at the moment, just us on the IoW presently, hope you all get to share it.

Looks like worse (lol better) still to come on radar.

Lovely long echoing rumbles, nice and dramatic.

almost continuous rumbles, loud too...

You're in a prime spot! Should all go crazy for you in the next 20 minutes/half an hour. Looking at the radar returns I'm guessing that may be a hail core, although the Netweather Precip. Type feature doesn't show it as such.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Surely someone from the met office had a little look at the radar before issuing their warning? Then you would at least play safe and extend it to the east of the IOW.

Posted

Estofex mention the nose of a low level jet and low topped supercells which makes me think about the Birmingham Tornado for eastern France. Temperatures that day were a lot higher so I dont think the comparison is apt for today across the UK, but it is is interesting that they mention it might reach the south east in the evening.  Looking at the NMM model I can see suggestions of low level wind convergence and this seems to be the area that NMM is keen to develop convective precipitation.  Lightning Wizard Charts for the level of free convection suggest convection will only occur across the very south of the UK until late in the afternoon. Looking at Forecast SkewT's I think this represents a CAP between 850hpa to 700hpa heights which will erode from the south. Differences in 700hpa vertical velocity seem to confirm this.  Wind shear both in terms of speed and directional shear is poor in the west and slightly better in the east (Suggesting supercells and tornadoes are not on the cards). Any significant pulse storm could have a right leaning inclination by way of differences in the wind shear on the right and left flanks. Which makes me wonder about storm splitting potential, but thats a complicated process and tends to have more to do with internal storm dynamics (Outflow boundarys and the like).  Forecast SkewT's for Birmingham mid day suggest some wind shear in the boundary layer, but it tends to disappear later on.  Over all I am not convinced by the model output. Timings for different components dont really come together that well except in the south and conditions according to the models should favour the East. Having looked at the Satelite pictures I have come to the conclusion we are better of looking at the Radar and satelite than the models now.

Am currently watching the developing storms over north east France.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

In all honesty, I thought the rain might have been heavier, nothing special this time around, looks like I found the the gap. :laugh:

post-15177-0-14220000-1400756479_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Lots of cells now developing near the Taunton, Cardiff and Bristol area!

Distant thunder heard in Cardiff from the cell to the east of me!

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Looks like the cell is developing in the west of Southampton: http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Interesting echo shapes from those showers/storms in the channel, Im sure the one over IOW is splitting away

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

You're in a prime spot! Should all go crazy for you in the next 20 minutes/half an hour. Looking at the radar returns I'm guessing that may be a hail core, although the Netweather Precip. Type feature doesn't show it as such.

You are right about crazy, lightning is crazy and constant, yippeeeee, off now just in case.....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Right time to stick the strike alert on!

You look in a prime location

• Like 1