Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Between now and when I go back to school (3rd of September), I am supposed to lose over an hour of daylight. The days really are very rapidly diminishing now, and the rate at which they do so is quite impressive if you ask me, despite my southern location in the UK.

That hour is "top and bottom" of the day mind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

That hour is "top and bottom" of the day mind.

Yes, true, but still a likely very noticeable difference. Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted

Did the Thames freeze anywhere in Dec 2010? The Severn in Shrewsbury did twice, so it surely could have done in say Oxford?It's impossible in central London now as it's fully tidal there, this was not the case when the old London bridge existed as by all accounts it formed a barrage and only let the highest tides overtop it.

The demolition of old London Bridge was a major factor and the construction in the mid-19th century of the embankments finalised the completion of the transformation that had been going on since Roman times of the river in London from a shallowish, sluggish, mostly freshwater body with a lot of pools and creeks to the fast-flowing tidal sewer that it is today. I suspect that there is no chance of any freezing downstream of the first (or last, depending on your point of view) lock.

Posted

The days really are very rapidly diminishing now, and the rate at which they do so is quite impressive if you ask me, despite my southern location in the UK.

Damn things aren't shortening anywhere near quick enough. I mean c'mon, fercrissakes it's ten minutes to eight and the sun is still belting thru' my damn window like nobodies business. It was the same back in April at this time. Jeez how much more can a guy take, I'm off down me cellar stuff this for a lark.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Did the Thames freeze anywhere in Dec 2010? The Severn in Shrewsbury did twice, so it surely could have done in say Oxford?

It's impossible in central London now as it's fully tidal there, this was not the case when the old London bridge existed as by all accounts it formed a barrage and only let the highest tides overtop it.

I think it did ,there is a reference here

http://oxforddailyphoto.blogspot.co.uk/2010_12_01_archive.html

but as you say without the old London bridge not going to happen in central London , although I believe there is less 'heat' now days going in from industrial waste

Yes nights 'drawing in'.

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Damn things aren't shortening anywhere near quick enough. I mean c'mon, fercrissakes it's ten minutes to eight and the sun is still belting thru' my damn window like nobodies business. It was the same back in April at this time. Jeez how much more can a guy take, I'm off down me cellar stuff this for a lark.

Around a month to the equinox laserguy, hang on in there. Not long until the nights are longer than the days. Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted

Around a month to the solstice laserguy, hang on in there. Not long until the nights are longer than the days.

Um, equinox?

Sorry; I'll fetch me coat...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

No signs of any autumn here. Certainly wont be next week either! Any signs of Autumn should be kept well oop North for some time to come yet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Lovely day today, sunny and warm with few clouds and a small breeze.

Sun is setting atm, and it's very chilled out here- these are the best days of summer; have a few more BBQ days, and then we go into first frost mode...

Posted

Um, equinox?Sorry; I'll fetch me coat...

What the hell am I on about?! I'll edit that out. Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Not long until Samhain.

Posted

i like the dim evening light, the light in the middle of the day is too harsh and hurts my eyes sometimes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Ah the thing about April I love is knowing how long of it being as light or lighter it will be for so long. The contrast in October however..... Posted Image

Posted

Nearly dark now, heavily aided by the thick cloudcover coming in from the southern end of this depression. The wind blowing in the booms of the bass from V festival.

Posted

I'll be losing an hour and 10 minutes of the day from now until I start school again in 2 weeks; from 0546/2031 to 0616/1953- I'll be waking up in the dark again; strangely nostalgic and also peed off at that!

Posted

I'll be losing an hour and 10 minutes of the day from now until I start school again in 2 weeks; from 0546/2031 to 0616/1953- I'll be waking up in the dark again; strangely nostalgic and also peed off at that!

Same, should be waking up in the dark fairly soon. Unlike you however I'm sort of beginning to yearn for it. I miss Winter already and we're not even into Autumn.
  • Like 2

Posted

Same, should be waking up in the dark fairly soon. Unlike you however I'm sort of beginning to yearn for it. I miss Winter already and we're not even into Autumn.

Haha- I'll be like that in a bit, just like the early warmth.

Can't wait for a nippy day in September with a touch of ground frost, love the dark nights, but again, as soon as January comes and the festivities end, it becomes tedious and I can't wait for the warmer days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It's getting dark too early now! Feels like the equivalent of early Sunday evening (and can just hear the Antiques Roadshow on the tv!) knowing you've got work in the morning... it's coming... sadly...

• Like 1

Posted

It's getting dark too early now! Feels like the equivalent of early Sunday evening (and can just hear the Antiques Roadshow on the tv!) knowing you've got work in the morning... it's coming... sadly...

Oh you love it!

I can see where you're coming from, totally, and when I'm working I'll probably grow to hate it, but I am getting right into waking up in the dark mode again!

Posted

Posted Image

Imagine that!

24 hour sunlight for about 4 months, and then losing over 3 hours of it in a week! From no sunsets to 10:20pm, and no sunrises to 3:30am.

And by the end of September, 7am sunrises and 6pm sunsets... if you think you can notice the difference here, try living in Svalbard!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

^^ and by late October, the sun does not rise at all, and won't rise again until 15 February, and by 19 April, won't set at all. Rinse and repeat for eternity.

Edited by cheese

Coming up to my favourite time of the year September to April, just too much light May to August, so glad the kids will be back at school here in just two weeks time, also less anti social behaviour when the nights draw in.

So much to look forward to in the next 9 months like halloween , bonfire night, christmas  and easter, also TV, Sport , video game releases pick up, can't wait for the PS4, Ipad 5, Xbox One releases in October/November, just so much to look forward to :)

The Dead Season is almost over :D

• Like 4

Posted

If "nights are drawing in", what do you call the effect of the later and later sunrises?

Doesn't the "nights drawing in" apply to both the morning and evening? The darkness of the morning and the darkness of the evening are drawing closer to each other, so the nights draw in. I could be completely wrong.