Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Lets keep this calm chaps! If you can't abide someones moaning then please use the ignore facility... 

Laserguy - I can understand your frustration this time of year as we've had a whole 2 months (or 3 months in the west) now of warm weather and I'm sure you want it to return to the British norm of cool and damp. But do remember it does indeed go 'your way' for the majority of the time in the UK - we are a damp island where the weather is fairly cool in general. Don't forget that by May we'd had a chilly winter and an exceptional cold spring and 7 summers of generally cool & damp weather. Although I understand you have an aversion to sun/warmth just remember how us sun/warmth lovers have suffered in the last few years. If I were to complain/moan (I know, unlikely for me yeah?!) proportionally at the same rate for the last seven years as you have about this 2 month period I'd triple my post count!

Anyway, your moaning makes me chuckle -looking forward to playing the same game in a few months :lol:

• Like 2

Posted

you really are becoming a bit of a pain mate, everyone to their own, but you seem unable to let that be.

I am sure by now everyone that has dropped in here over the last couple of months has read your preferences, but it would be nice to simply let folks enjoy what they want to enjoy without making such a song and dance about you being different every time we log in here?

Although I do agree that laserguy is a bit of a pain with his moaning I do have to mention that there are some Summer loving folk who are just as bad (One is even worse) and that includes a member of the forum team who get away with murder on here. So I believe the best way to deal with this is you either let everybody have their opinion regardless of what it is or you make sure everybody is suitably warned for their behaviour. I do detest double standards. 

Edited by Ruufio
  • Like 3

Posted

Anyway, your moaning makes me chuckle -looking forward to playing the same game in a few months Posted Image

I'm game - it's all good fun really until some freeks strongly imply in all seriousness that I oughtta be banned or somesuch. I find it troubling actually, that some people can get so worked up/infuriated at someone else's likes and dislikes over the weather. Anyway re the topic - isn't it getting dark early of an evening, these days!?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

On the other hand, there's those folks who go straight from work into the raging cauldron of Friday night summertime nightlife or the horrors of a 28C beer garden. Makes you wonder what goes off in some folk's heads, it really does!

Yeah, grim!

I love going into somewhere in winter (like a pub etc) and seeing how much the frost has taken a grip by the time I leave. There's just something so magical about cold in winter that you can't put your finger on. I'll agree with Bottesford though- a raw, nagging wind that penetrates you and your house for days on end can be no fun. Jan '10 was brilliant......snow on the ground, -16C temps but not a breath of wind.....it was amazing! Seeing the steam rise from the street drains was something else- had never seen that happen before. Sounds stupid, but that particular night will never be forgotten. I think even Bottesford likes nights like that!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted

Yeah, grim!

I love going into somewhere in winter (like a pub etc) and seeing how much the frost has taken a grip by the time I leave. There's just something so magical about cold in winter that you can't put your finger on.

Or walking thru' a blizzard to the pub and seeing it's inviting light getting ever closer. Then opening the door to the noise and joviality and cosiness inside as you close the door behind you, fighting with the wind to do so as a few defiant snowflakes follow you in before melting on the doormat. Getting your pint and a place beside the roaring fire then waiting for your steak 'n' chips to arrive!  Getting slowly plastered on the guest beer 'Old Toss' or whatever as a steady stream of folk arrive thru' the evening, each one with the exclamation of how bad it's getting out there. Wobbling your way home thru' fresh snow and abandoned cars and the stillness of the wonderland which has descended upon earth etc etc...  summer ain't got a leg to stand on when winter gets it's act together!

• Like 9

Posted

Or walking thru' a blizzard to the pub and seeing it's inviting light getting ever closer. Then opening the door to the noise and joviality and cosiness inside as you close the door behind you, fighting with the wind to do so as a few defiant snowflakes follow you in before melting on the doormat. Getting your pint and a place beside the roaring fire then waiting for your steak 'n' chips to arrive!  Getting slowly plastered on the guest beer 'Old Toss' or whatever as a steady stream of folk arrive thru' the evening, each one with the exclamation of how bad it's getting out there. Wobbling your way home thru' fresh snow and abandoned cars and the stillness of the wonderland which has descended upon earth etc etc...  summer ain't got a leg to stand on when winter gets it's act together!

I'm there Baby...................

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Yeah that does sound good.

Spent lunch in a beer garden today, they can be nice in the evening but all the flies and wasps made me wish I had stayed inside.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Oi - I've got every right and reason to moan, and if the tables were turned in my favour rather than that of you lot, the suicide rate would be about 85%.  Imagine if it rained for the hours of sun we get and that the damn sun shone for the actual hours of rain we actually get? Whether y'all think I'm a weirdo or not is irrelevant - I think you lot should be locked away but that's unlikely. Blizzards why do you equate not spending Friday night in the pub or lolling around in a crappy beer garden as 'being alone'? I don't get that bit at all. Wish I'd been on here June 2007 so's I could have had a good laugh at y'all moaning and wailing about that bit of rain we got to interrupt the sun. Jeez - some folk need to buy a helmet.  As for getting on folks wicks for my incessant moaning, how d'ya think I feel when all I'm confronted with is daft sun worship and glorification of all that's crap about summer - ie all of it? Ye I could avoid it but so could you if I upset you so much - and much as it winds y'all up I'm as entitled to moan about it or praise it as the case may be; we get what we get. Just hoping that next summer is a total washout - let's see who's moaning then.

I did not specifically say you must spend it alone but you seem to have a very strong aversion to normal social situations to the vast majority of us. Each to their own but you don't have to remind us everyday that those incessant bleedin sun rays are creating some sort if nuclear bomb effect. :lol:
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yeah, grim!

I love going into somewhere in winter (like a pub etc) and seeing how much the frost has taken a grip by the time I leave. There's just something so magical about cold in winter that you can't put your finger on. I'll agree with Bottesford though- a raw, nagging wind that penetrates you and your house for days on end can be no fun. Jan '10 was brilliant......snow on the ground, -16C temps but not a breath of wind.....it was amazing! Seeing the steam rise from the street drains was something else- had never seen that happen before. Sounds stupid, but that particular night will never be forgotten. I think even Bottesford likes nights like that!

Indeed I would love one of those again! I love those super clear super cold nights and into a clear ice day - one of winters best offerings especially if snow is already lying and not half melted into a lethal/mucky mess.

However that weather is an exception and is equivalent to 30c+ in summer - very rare indeed (well it is here anyway). At least average in summer is usable & pleasant; average in winter is neither of those.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Indeed I would love one of those again! I love those super clear super cold nights and into a clear ice day - one of winters best offerings especially if snow is already lying and not half melted into a lethal/mucky mess.

However that weather is an exception and is equivalent to 30c+ in summer - very rare indeed (well it is here anyway). At least average in summer is usable & pleasant; average in winter is neither of those.

I have sat in a pub/cafe by a window with a hot brew and a good book before now in the morning, just seeing the cold world inches away outside and being snug and warm inside, which is how my art corner is now setup too, whilst I will miss summer when the cold and damp arrives I now have the perfect place to go (even right next to the wall heater).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I enjoy both summer and winter for what they can provide, but if the dietary suggestions and drinks choice of yours were changed a bitPosted Image Posted Image then I must admit that the nights entertainment and weather you described there sounds hard to beat to me!Posted Image  At the end of the day, snow in the winter (when we get it!) takes all Posted Image However much I also enjoy and appreciate what a summer like this has given Posted Image  But you can keep the baking heat as far as I am concerned..

• Like 2

Posted

I did not specifically say you must spend it alone but you seem to have a very strong aversion to normal social situations to the vast majority of us. Each to their own but you don't have to remind us everyday that those incessant bleedin sun rays are creating some sort if nuclear bomb effect. Posted Image

Ok I'll give it a rest from now on - promise!

Posted

and if the tables were turned in my favour rather than that of you lot, the suicide rate would be about 85%.  Imagine if it rained for the hours of sun we get and that the damn sun shone for the actual hours of rain we actually get?

No need to imagine it - we got it for the bulk of last summer and for an inordinate amount of time in the previous five. You've been spoilt for the past few years. This summer has come nowhere near close to cancelling out last summer.

By the way no one cares about your weather preferences. You're not the only person who hates sun and heat, it's just that you make the most noise about it. The fact of the matter is there are people of all preferences who choose to have a go at others for daring to like what they like: it's wrong to have a go at people who want it to be cold and dull at the time but it's also wrong to have a go at people who like their summers hot and sunny, which does happen a lot on here as recently evidenced on the Summer 2013 thread (and even when it's not remotely hot and sunny like during last summer).

Let's all just prefer what we prefer and stop looking down on others who think differently - for all sides. I hope that's not too much to ask.

• Like 1

Posted

.......Let's all just prefer what we prefer and stop looking down on others who think differently - for all sides. I hope that's not too much to ask.

Look I've said sorry and promised to leave it out - don't poke the fire!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Very thick fog in Church Fenton and east Leeds this morning. Feels chilly too, not to mention 'dewy'. Feels like autumn.. soon we'll be getting fog every other day. Can't wait for the first all-day fog.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Look I've said sorry and promised to leave it out - don't poke the fire!!

Yeah, I'm sorry too. I got a bit carried away. I should think before I post. Posted Image

All I'll add is how can someone happily down brutally-hot curries and get agitated by warm temperatures? Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Deffo dark too early these days! Still we can get home, make dinner and eat it outside so its not an issue yet. The whole doing everything at home by artificial light most of the time isn't upon us yet gladly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

Was still dark at 05:30 GMT+1 this morning, those 06:00 wake uppers will be starting their day in the dark soon :( 

I think it was about 20:00 when it got dark but I haven't been taking notice of that. 

Posted

Funny how the comments about wanting cold and snow involve being sat inside a warm pub. You want it sub-arctic, the least you can do is get out there and make the most of it Posted Image

It's all part of the plan - you can feel the benefit when you set off home!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

blimy this thread is really getting heated. Darkness is getting earllyer and laserguy keep posting man your posts do make me laugh at times.

• Like 2

Posted

Funny how the comments about wanting cold and snow involve being sat inside a warm pub. You want it sub-arctic, the least you can do is get out there and make the most of it Posted Image

equally people who want it hot go and sit in the shade or have a fan on to avoid the sun and heat

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I do - whenever it snows, I take any opportunity to go outside.

• Like 2

Posted

LOL..not sure how we've got from nights drawing in to hot or cold preferences Posted Image

Gimme a blizzard and or heatwave any day! No sleet or semi ave muck, cut out the middle man..

Anyway back on track...bit dark out tonight Posted Image about as dark as it was this time last year?

nah it's quite a light august this year, the last really dark august was in 2001, it could be a darker than average winter this year possibly the darkest for 50 years although winter is deep deep FI so the charts will probably change, but i really hope we have a darker winter than last year Posted Image

Edited by Tony27