Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

The 'on' season is so very long compared to the 'off' season. Late August-early June was last year's 'on' season - 10 months! 

Can't say I've missed micro-managing the heating system everyday these past 3 months that's for sure...

All I can say to you is the same as I say to the missus - "get some bleedin' bread an' taties down't neck"!

Think I'm about £100 in debt with my gas meter. Those standing charges mount up! They really have you by the balls.....charged extortionately when using gas, charged when not using gas. Still, won't put me off having a harsh winter!

Sometimes the best things in life are most cetainly not free!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

On season lasts about 3-4 months here, sometimes less. We usually just wrap up more. No need for it until October/November really.

But that depends on your house... We've had a wonderful summer in here (well on those hot days) but some dire winters as it just never warm in here!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Think I'm about £100 in debt with my gas meter. Those standing charges mount up! They really have you by the balls.....charged extortionately when using gas, charged when not using gas. Still, won't put me off having a harsh winter!

Ha, I hear you. I'll take the cold and the snow, even if it means paying a lot to heat my house. My love of snow is UNCONDITIONAL, much like a mother and her child. Posted Image

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Personally I found throwing 80 quid+ per month to Russian gas companies quite unpleasant during the many lengthy grey easterlies that sap warmth like nobodies business from this house. Prefer to spend that money on something fun or more useful... Gimme a mild winter with just a few short very sharp cold spells with snow. None of this unending below averageness we got this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Personally I found throwing 80 quid+ per month to Russian gas companies quite unpleasant during the many lengthy grey easterlies that sap warmth like nobodies business from this house. Prefer to spend that money on something fun or more useful... Gimme a mild winter with just a few short very sharp cold spells with snow. None of this unending below averageness we got this year.

I'm fully prepared to pay whatever it takes as long as we see some good snowfalls and crisp, cold days. A raw, nagging, cloudy flow is what we can do without.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I find that I only put around £20 in my gas meter every 2-3 months, even during the winter months. I think I pay too little for my gas - there's probably a fault with it. Eh, whatever, their loss!

Edited by cheese

Posted

I find that I only put around £20 in my gas meter every 2-3 months, even during the winter months. I think I pay too little for my gas - there's probably a fault with it. Eh, whatever, their loss!

That's outrageous! In winter cold spells we can easily blow 35 notes a week on gas... but that's 'cos of my soft missus. A repeat of Dec' 2010 would be worth every penny tho'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

That's outrageous! In winter cold spells we can easily blow 35 notes a week on gas... but that's 'cos of my soft missus. A repeat of Dec' 2010 would be worth every penny tho'.

Lose the missus and you could put on your shorts and string vest...no gas bills

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Southern wimps. Posted Image

Last winter i went without heating full stop. Sure it was chilly but in the name of saving money there's really no reason not to wear a jumper, coat and put a cover over your legs.

• Like 1

Posted

You must live in a warm house - maybe next door/above folks who use a lot of heating. Detached Victorian buildings with poor insulation are a different story.

Besides once I make it into jumpers she will be in her coat, hat & gloves!

Not an issue this year though as we'll be moving very soon - hopefully to a warmer place!

Posted

You must live in a warm house - maybe next door/above folks who use a lot of heating. Detached Victorian buildings with poor insulation are a different story.

Not an issue this year though as we'll be moving very soon - hopefully to a warmer place!

No he is just a tight yorkshireman this place is full of them......like me!

• Like 1

Posted

I live in a detached house - heat radiating to the outside from all four walls, and no stealing heat from the neighbours!

Posted

Detached, only having windows on one side (south east), surrounded in a hill and tall houses/trees and painted white reflecting what little sun it can get... A cold lovers dream if they fancy never having to deal with heat in the summer but burning half the North Sea's gas supply in the winter...

Posted

Being my day off 6am was luckily not a time I was exposed to! But yes darkness is really starting to intrude into the day now sadly...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

I didn't have the heating on here last year until November and this is a cold building, and even during the worst of the Winter I tried to have the heating on at limited times and turned nearly all the radiators off apart from the room I was using. For sure it was bloody chilly at times but you have to grit you're teeth and save money to spend on better things! if you are young and fit enough the cold won't kill you, Just wear an extra jumper like I did or go bed earlier with a 13.5 tog duvet or if you're lucky to have some gorgeous girl with you to snuggle up with as well. 

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Will barely need heating at all over the winter in Cornwall. Far far less than most of the country.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Will barely need heating at all over the winter in Cornwall. Far far less than most of the country.

I was thinking of relocating to Cornwall for that reason haha, about as far west as possible like Penzance but it seems the cold has a habit of following me and Cornwall would probably get snowy like it did in January 1987. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I was thinking of relocating to Cornwall for that reason haha, about as far west as possible like Penzance but it seems the cold has a habit of following me and Cornwall would probably get snowy like it did in January 1987. Posted Image

Indeed, im right on the coast too in Falmouth. Last winter it dipped below 0c on 1 occasion I think.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Are there any Scottish glens that are constantly in shadow during the depths of winter? Any Scottish villages, crofts that are in the shadow of mountains for days on end during mid winter?

Several I'd imagine, Invermoriston would be one, around Ericht, Laggan, Mullardoch et al.
  • Like 2

Posted

Seems to be staying light 'til very late this evening. What's happened - there been a pole shift or summat?!

No just the first evening since july that we have had cloud free.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Nearly 100% dark now, which is fantastic. Now I'm back at school I can't wait for it to get very dark again, will cheer me up when I'm studying my a*se off for my A2's.

Edited by 22nov10blast
  • Like 2