Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spanish plume anyone? Storm and convective discussion 17th July Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Was hoping for a little more excitement up here but I feared that the storms would be drained of energy on their way here, and they are :( Nothing forecast until tomorrow if nothing comes from this rain. Actually a chilly breeze out there for me, not warm or muggy at all here

There is still a chance for you this morning as still some storms rumbling up the Irish Sea and across NW Wales. 

Edit: Just seen your update, enjoy :)

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted

just got up for work and was hoping to hear some thunder , fat chance of that it seems, although it was always expected to be more mainly towards the Irish sea as was the last thundery spell in the NW,  Have a feeling this plume event is going to be a let down here, then again, I had my one yearly allowance of a thunderstorm in early June and should be thankful for that ! 

Just seen a little clip of darren betts saying these plumes could become more common in the future is global warming happens, RUBBISH!!  they seem to getting LESS,  I remember them saying this in the nineties too, and that  put the kiss of death on them,  they are not as potent or frequent in these parts anyway  

Posted

I had my one yearly allowance of a thunderstorm in early June and should be thankful for that !

A good part of Greater Manchester has had very little in the way of thundery activity this year and we are into the second half of July. Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Heavy convective rain. Feels like it could still produce something if I asked nicely. can hear sferics around

Posted

Wish I knew what a bow echo was. am off to google it. :) EDIT here ya go 

bow echo is a term describing the characteristic radar return from a mesoscale convective system that is shaped like an archer’s bow. These systems can produce severe straight-line winds and occasionally tornadoes, causing major damage. They can also become derechos.

Bow echoes are capable of producing straight-line winds that are just as strong as many tornadoes. 

Now a derecho is a real humdinger. But they need to travel 200 miles (am I correct?) to be classed as one.

Posted

Now a derecho is a real humdinger. But they need to travel 200 miles (am I correct?) to be classed as one.

I think it is 250 miles. Imagine getting one of them running through the middle of the UK!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

There is a lot of strikes from the cell in southern East Anglia.: http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

missed most of the action as I didn't wake up until the worst had already gone through....DOH!

Judging by the radar, we didn't get a direct hit, so that eases my mood somewhat, and I did manage to get some distant strobe lightning to the north around 2:30am, when I did wake up 

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Couple of isolated cells passed over Shrewsbury in last hour and some close lightening and loud thunder. Great start to the day. Looking at radar another electrified cell on the door step from the south and that should be it for a while as the sky's clear. Looks like we are lucky in a small sliver of the midlands that's got something this morning.

Posted

I am not an expert but to me the lightning wizard charts for tonight do not look as good as last night. I would love to be proven wrong but there isn't the same coming together of parameters. Helicity looks weaker, shear weaker in the east, CAPE not as high, supercell parameter lower.. please can one of the experts clarify for me as BBC and Met Office didn't make much of last night but have been bulling this coming night up all week.

Tomorrow is a different ball game with the 5cm hail covering most of eastern England... this would warrant a level 2 from Estofex i would have thought.

Having said that the lightning wizard is just based around one model and not a full suite... may have just answered my own question :D

Edited by Supacell

Posted

morning everyone, well i guess a day of radar watching and praying for a storm is on for today, i have to say its not very warm here this morning so early signs are not good, feeling very fresh with a strong breeze, very cloudy to so that will keep temps down, looking forward to reports and pics from those lucky enough to catch a storm over the next cpl of days.

Posted

Manchester Airport

long-TAF: EGCC 180613Z 1806/1912 10012KT 9999 FEW030 TEMPO 1806/1810 7000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 1806/1810 4000 +SHRA BECMG 1815/1818 17005KT PROB40 TEMPO 1902/1912 4000 +SHRA +TSRAGR BKN005 BKN045CB

Birmingham

long-TAF: EGBB 180457Z 1806/1906 08008KT 9999 FEW035 PROB30 TEMPO 1806/1807 8000 SHRA BECMG 1810/1813 17010KT BECMG 1821/1824 VRB03KT TEMPO 1822/1906 VRB15G25KT 4000 +SHRA TSGS

Heathrow

long-TAF: EGLL 180626Z 1806/1912 08008KT 9000 SCT045 BECMG 1807/1810 17010KT 9999 BECMG 1815/1818 VRB04KT PROB40 TEMPO 1820/1908 VRB15G25KT 4000 +TSRA PROB30 TEMPO 1908/1912 VRB15G25KT 4000 +TSRA

Newcastle

long-TAF: EGNT 180504Z 1806/1906 11012KT 9999 FEW008 PROB30 1806/1809 BKN008 PROB40 TEMPO 1813/1816 7000 SHRA BECMG 1816/1819 BKN009 BECMG 1820/1823 8000 BKN004 PROB40 1823/1904 4000 BR PROB30 TEMPO 1904/1906 SHRA SCT005 BKN045CB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Woken up at 4.00 by loud thunder. The storm turned up a nice lightning display, with strikes about every 30 secs, including crawlers. Got a bit gusty at one stage. Once that had gone North/East another one appeared to skirt us that must have been further away as no lightning visible, just continuous thunder. All in all about 1.5 hrs. Hadn't expected much when I went to bed and the models didn't give any indication of anything in the East. Just goes to show u never can tell in these scenarios.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

missed most of the action as I didn't wake up until the worst had already gone through....DOH!

Judging by the radar, we didn't get a direct hit, so that eases my mood somewhat, and I did manage to get some distant strobe lightning to the north around 2:30am, when I did wake up 

actually it gets MUCH worse.......I deliberatley kipped downstairs last night with the curtains left open so any lightning would wake me up and not to disturb the wifey and kids upstairs......Fast forward a few hours and I've just gone upstairs to tell them all that breakfast is ready, only to find the girls in bed with their mum because they were so scared of the thunder and lightning during then night!

Yes, we had a cracker of a storm, that I somehow managed to sleep through, they were awake and they didn't wake me up to enjoy it....and to quote the other half....."We didn't wake you up because you looked so tired"

The reason why I looked tired was because I was asleep!!.......DOUBLE DOH!!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

morning everyone, well i guess a day of radar watching and praying for a storm is on for today, i have to say its not very warm here this morning so early signs are not good, feeling very fresh with a strong breeze, very cloudy to so that will keep temps down, looking forward to reports and pics from those lucky enough to catch a storm over the next cpl of days.

Yep same here, not very encouraging. Can't see where these projected temps for the east are going to come from.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

You shouldn't have to wait too long for the cloud to clear. It feels fresh here, but the temperature is still 19C. Temperatures already in the low 20s south of this cloud as the full on heat pushes into the south of the country behind this system.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Great storms here in the early hours, frequent lightning and thunder, best night time storm in years here, and I was awake this time to see it....! :clapping:

Posted

Now that rain has cleared it's gone warm, but the breeze that is blowing is stopping it from being as muggy as it should be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days
Captain shortwave, on 18 Jul 2014 - 07:40, said:

You shouldn't have to wait too long for the cloud to clear. It feels fresh here, but the temperature is still 19C. Temperatures already in the low 20s south of this cloud as the full on heat pushes into the south of the country behind this system.

Clearing up nicely already. Still looks dark out East though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

Last night was a cracker!

post-12495-0-86427900-1405666049_thumb.j

post-12495-0-64019200-1405666061_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

I'm jealous of you guys, though I did get an awesome supercell in February and may get snow on Monday :).

Post up some videos, would be great to see what happens today and tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Looks like a good night for most, same again later no doubt. I'll just hope August delivers for us as usual *sigh*, certainly looks like just popcorn stuff on Sunday if we're lucky  :nonono: Almost 20 years without seeing a decent lightning display up here at night i.e. more than one flash every 10 minutes.

Posted

im not feeling your optimisim im afraid, as we speak the rain is begining to fall, not holding out chances for here, Lincs storm shield in full effect, lol