Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hedge Hog Holes

Jax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Hedge Hog Holes

We can all do our bit to help our prickly hogs, their numbers are falling fast, and one article I was reading said this is based on their lack of abilty to move from garden to garden thanks to modern walls and fences.

so lets add some HHH (Hedge Hog Holes) to our gardens so they can safely move from garden to garden to feed and forage, a small gap in the wall or fence should be enough, might be good to offer a corner for them to bed down in too, a pile of twigs and leaves left to nature for example should help.

just an idea, cheap and simple, could make all the difference for a once common and popular wild visitor to our gardens.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/rural/farming/hedgehogs-face-survival-battle-1-6910419

• Like 3

Posted

As a side benefit of providing food to enable taming and neutering of a number of the stray farm cats, I've acquired a sizeable population of hedgehogs. I was very surprised to note that they liked the cat biscuits - soft food not an outdoor option with the heat and flies. The only thing I would add to your great post is to put out some water in shallow dishes for them if the weather is dry. I've got plant pot saucers with water placed all round the garden and they are well used by all the little animals and birds. 

Can you still burn garden rubbish piles? - If so, mind and check there's nothing living/sleeping in it.

• Like 3

The problem I have is they do like to go and play in the road, with fatal results. This is even though I have a garden that backs onto open fields and there is easy access to adjoining gardens and ample food available. Now have empty hedgehog houses I slaved away making.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

As a side benefit of providing food to enable taming and neutering of a number of the stray farm cats, I've acquired a sizeable population of hedgehogs. I was very surprised to note that they liked the cat biscuits - soft food not an outdoor option with the heat and flies. The only thing I would add to your great post is to put out some water in shallow dishes for them if the weather is dry. I've got plant pot saucers with water placed all round the garden and they are well used by all the little animals and birds. 

Can you still burn garden rubbish piles? - If so, mind and check there's nothing living/sleeping in it.

Great ideas. yes you can still burn and need to check first.

The problem I have is they do like to go and play in the road, with fatal results. This is even though I have a garden that backs onto open fields and there is easy access to adjoining gardens and ample food available. Now have empty hedgehog houses I slaved away making.

We cannot help them all but lets do what we can, it is a start at least.

• Like 1