Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I do think the Met's one step down from a national emergency level 3 severe cold weather warning is a tad OTT. Doesn't even look all that cold tbh, we've had much worse!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

My weather app is putting sleet rather than heavy snow earlier. meh. :(

The only hope now is hail to stick to the ground or evaporative cooling.

Lets just wait and see shall we?

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Bbc forcastin rain for us on Saturday ☔ï¸â˜”ï¸

Posted

This ones even worse :(

post-9615-0-13848500-1421351692_thumb.jp

Posted

The ppn will be there, those little icons that say rain/ snow don't really mean a lot otherwise today I'd have at least a inch of rain and guess what I had! 0!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

bust then lol oh well always next year

• Like 2

Posted

2 inches of heavy wet snowfall from this scenario...

Rrea00120111217.gif

and uppers barely -5....I remember it well, it caused traffic chaos

Rrea00220111217.gif

Like I said though nw airflows don't have a general rule, though the general rule of nw flows this Jan have been wintry rather than snowy.

Models aren't showing snow for you over next 48 hours so not sure why you think otherwise

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

the BBC graphics just then were very good for cumbria north of Whitehaven, showed snow even at the coast and had a stream of showers for about 2/3 hours, im actually in Workington tomorrow so hope i see some, certainly a better chance than egremont

Posted

My weather app is putting sleet rather than heavy snow earlier. meh. :(

The only hope now is hail to stick to the ground or evaporative cooling.

Lets just wait and see shall we?

Well thank god someone has seen the light with the third line, here

Get hung up on these weather app predictions. Jeez. I remember the CEEFAX 5 days symbols what a joke they were.

Let's wait and see what happens. It's all about radar watching and at the time.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

We don't though, TYPICALLY, we CAN be one of the snowiest! Get a cold NW'erly and we have our very own North Sea. Cornwall, Devon, S Wales, all worse off.

Our local "North Sea" actually reduces the showers.

True it was a westerly but look at the last couple of days where Ireland was getting pasted but the showers then died over the stretch of water which was supposed to enhance them.

Yes North Westerly's can bring snow but temperatures are more than likely the wrong side of marginal so we end up with sleet or a slushy wet mix at best.

Northerly's bring the cold but showers stay off shore like they are frightened of dry land.

Lets face it, late December 09 into January 10 was a snow fest for much of this region and the snow stuck around but that was an exceptional period and certainly hasn't been repeated much since.

And me saying that we do poor for snow is on the back of living in the highest and probably snowiest town in Lancashire so I'm sure that folks lower down and closer to the coast must think that we do poorly compared to other parts of the UK.

Frontal snow and a long feed easterly are best for me and both have been as rare as hens teeth over recent winters but lets see what the next few days bring and I'm certainly happy to be proved wrong.

• Like 3

Posted

Well thank god someone has seen the light with the third line, here

Get hung up on these weather app predictions. Jeez. I remember the CEEFAX 5 days symbols what a joke they were.

Let's wait and see what happens. It's all about radar watching and at the time.

Agreed... My MetO app had me down for rain shower yesterday morning.. Yet it was snowing. Time to delete me thinks.

Also, I'm seeing some negativity creeping into this forum. a couple of knee jerk reactions in the Mod thread and chaos follows. I'm pretty sure some members actually enjoy being negative.

Posted

The met app is very good but not perfect...... temperatures have gone up by 2 degrees and snow has turned to rain..... of course it may change back but I haven't See such a broad change this close in.....

Next update will be about 10

• Like 1

Posted

Agreed... My MetO app had me down for rain shower yesterday morning.. Yet it was snowing. Time to delete me thinks.

Also, I'm seeing some negativity creeping into this forum. a couple of knee jerk reactions in the Mod thread and chaos follows. I'm pretty sure some members actually enjoy being negative.

I looked up the ratings and reviews for that Met Office app on my istore. For such a distinguished institution, it's not highly rated that app. I would have expected at least 4 out of 5 stars, only 2 and a half stars by reviewers,

Posted

no I'm going on holiday a week sat !!!.

Coming back in the Spring?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I really hope the upcoming 18z and 00z runs will improve snow potential in the NW. :good:

• Like 2

Posted

The BBC weather app gets 4.5 stars, over 7000 reviews on the Apple app store.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

I still live in hope and will wait and see.

Edited by Miamay

Posted

The met app is very good but not perfect...... temperatures have gone up by 2 degrees and snow has turned to rain..... of course it may change back but I haven't See such a broad change this close in.....

Next update will be about 10

My app says heavy snow and 3c Saturday 15:00

18:00 it's 1c and light rain