Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat, July 4 and on...

Methuselah

Posted
26 minutes ago, gordonm said:

this morning was the first dry dog walk in weeks here! it was frosty calm and a little sunshine. its the first dog walk in 15 that I have enjoyed this year!!! every other one it rained!!!but alas we are back in business as again it is raining outside!!!! roll on next week for a bit of calmer cold weather!!

At least your dog went out in it. Mine looks at me like I've suggested hanging he's mother if I so much as open the door during heavy rain to suggest a walk or that he go outside to perform a bodily function. 

15 hours ago, P-M said:

In short - YES lol from a selfish POV

Coal/wood fire? If so lucky you. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
44 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

At least your dog went out in it. Mine looks at me like I've suggested hanging he's mother if I so much as open the door during heavy rain to suggest a walk or that he go outside to perform a bodily function. 

Coal/wood fire? If so lucky you. 

Nope just plain old Gas I am afraid.  I love extreme weather in any form.  I find the climate interesting of late despite all the bad news stories.  Things are out of kilter so to speak.  And to top it all off I love the cold and snow so a massive bonus for me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy
1 hour ago, Deep Snow please said:

my two are labs and love water! where ever it is lol

Posted

Managed about half an hour of snow earlier in the afternoon which was nice to see even though it didn't settle.

Some of the Scot's have had a mini-dumping though,and some nice snow pics on their thread.

Posted
3 hours ago, Cloud 10 said:

Managed about half an hour of snow earlier in the afternoon which was nice to see even though it didn't settle.

Some of the Scot's have had a mini-dumping though,and some nice snow pics on their thread.

We could get a little bit overnight looking at the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Another dull cloudy wet day with bands of heavy showers moving through... pretty foggy here too atm.

Still looking at end of week for real snow potential going off this mornings ecmECU0-144.GIF?09-12ECU0-168.GIF?09-12

Posted

It actually brightened up late yesterday - just after sunset - but back to drizzle/gloom/fog today.
There was almost 4mm in the early hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

Off to tan hill soon so might see some snow up there :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Judging by the mood in the MO thread, this cold spell is starting to go the way of the pear somewhat. Although as most posters on that thread live darn sarf it's hard to judge how much NIMBYism is at play when they interpret the charts!

Can any of the more knowledgeable posters shed any light on the latest developments please?

Saw some brightness today, not sunshine but brightness.

Posted
43 minutes ago, JP1972 said:

Judging by the mood in the MO thread, this cold spell is starting to go the way of the pear somewhat. Although as most posters on that thread live darn sarf it's hard to judge how much NIMBYism is at play when they interpret the charts!

Can any of the more knowledgeable posters shed any light on the latest developments please?

I will have a go, tonights runs have improved slightly... especially for us in the northeast.

Will do a more in depth post shortly, may take a while to type lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

Wasn't any snow at tan went over the stang was little patches of snow, hopefully get some in good old Darlington next week

Posted
1 hour ago, JP1972 said:

People overreacting to a single run as always and focusing too much on a single models output. Go back and you'll notice a much more positive vibe.

Posted

As it stands next week will get progressively colder as we head into thursday... thats when the headaches begin as all euro models keep the cold going and add shortwaves running down across the country then dragging in much colder air over the weekend but as thats a long way off it is not set in stone... only gfs takes on a different view on things.

looking at todays 12z runs @ 120hrs, gfs-0-120.png?12gfs has a shortwave in the mid atlantic SW of iceland that stops heights building up and allowing more of a northerly flow for the uk as seen on next image from gfs @ 168hrs  gfs-0-168.png?12

Now in comparison both ukmo, ecm and jem go for a different solution in moving that shortwave feature towards uk in a SE direction leaving heights to build in atlantic and a more northerly flow to develope and the high to move over the uk on a more northerly movement as shown by following images.

ukmo at 120hrs with the shortwave circled further east heading toward uk  569161bf4e782_ukmo120.thumb.jpg.0fc54eb1 it allows the heights to build behind allowing more of a northerly flow further on as shown here 569163a3ef895_ukmo144.thumb.jpg.5c74449d

And as for ecm even better... ECM1-120.GIF?09-0ECM1-144.GIF?09-0ECM1-168.GIF?09-0ECM1-216.GIF?09-0

Edited by doctor32
  • Like 2

Posted

Also with upper 850 temps often of -6 and lower, any precipitation that falls will often be wintry and any shortwaves/troughs in the mix will deffo be of snow nearer the time, again more so thursday onwards and over next weekend... but thats only going off what euro models are showing today and it will a case of wait untill the day comes to be certain... In short we are heading for a cold spell, wether this lasts into the following week, who knows? As for snow in any one place we will have to wait a few more days to confirm up on things.

Edited by doctor32
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.
2 hours ago, snowgirl30 said:

Wasn't any snow at tan went over the stang was little patches of snow, hopefully get some in good old Darlington next week

Stop being so impatient!

Thanks to DSP and Doctor for the replies. Much appreciated fellas.

43yo and I'm still enjoying the wintry chase! Ah for a 2009 repeat, going to bed at 10am and everywhere bone dry, then waking up to 7" of level snow 1 mile from the centre of Newcastle was superb!

Posted

Nothing much to add here this morning, windy this morning with organised bands of showers moving west to east. some wintry on higher ground or heavier bursts and feeling cooler.

As for week ahead, blustery with rain or showers over next few days then its still looking like thurs/fri for more widespread snow then into weekend cold with widespread frosts and coastal showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
39 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Okay - reality check. The BBC just showed a load of snow over the region for tonight on the weather forecast - that's high ground inland right?

I saw that a large part of our region was under the snow, let's see what happens

Posted
38 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

I saw that a large part of our region was under the snow, let's see what happens

The BBC have a bad habit of laying high ground snow on top of rain in their graphics. It seemed to stretch to at least 3 miles off the coast though. Hopefully we can get a bit tonight.

Posted

No snow expected tonight apart from pennine areas to the west in the form of showers... tomorrow has a showery day with these sometimes wintry (mainly higher ground)

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Su 10.01.2016 12 GMT  12 noon tomorrow from euro4

Thursday still looks of most interest from our point of view...  Snow accu. GFS Su 10.01.2016 12 GMT

Edited by doctor32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

hooray!!! woke up this morning to -1c  blue sky and frost everywhere!! feels like a proper winters morning!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Icy here in Jarrow too but no blue sky, it's quite foggy and miserable. The cold is a shock to the system after all this rubbish mild weather we've had

Edited by lizmartin1981
Spelling!