Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Alps & Pyrenees Snow Thread 2015/16

J10

1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

After a poor start to the skiing/boarding season back in December it’s looking like it will end with a bang, or should I say dump! Ironically a swathe of resorts will close this weekend, leaving just a couple of dozen high altitude resorts open to enjoy a late-season snow bonanza and some sub-zero temperatures over the coming 5 days!

No doubt many people booked their late-season holiday looking forward to warm sunshine and long lunches on restaurant terraces, but it’s looking like a warm fleece and poor vis goggles will be required rather than sun cream.

Here’s a few resorts to illustrate the expected conditions. Normally, based on their long-term snow records they usually achieve maximum snow depth in March. But will it be April this season? Here are the Snowforecast.com forecasts for mid-mountain snowfall and temperatures between this evening and next Weds evening, based (I believe) on GFS data:

Engelberg (2,085m) 69cm Engelberg.jpg

Ischgl (2,126m) 92cm Ischgl.jpg

Chamonix (2,440m) 101cm Chamonix.jpg

This evening’s Arpege chart for cumulative snowfall up to next Tues evening looks to support the figures:

Arpege snow accum to Tue26April 21.00.png

If only I could persuade Mrs Blessed to let me go just once more this season! But I fear there’s more chance of my skis ending up bent around my neck! :D

I do wonder sometimes if the weather gods are laughing at us, with heavy snow as you say likely right at the end of the season.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
On 22/04/2016 at 10:22 PM, J10 said:

I do wonder sometimes if the weather gods are laughing at us, with heavy snow as you say likely right at the end of the season.

They're no doubt thinking that in St Anton! For their last week of their season the lower pistes looked like white ribbons coming down the mountain. According to published timetables and their own website the resort closed yesterday, Sun 24th. And today.... yep, the snow arrived!

But I have to say I'm intrigued because late afternoon today they pisted the run in my webcam grabs below!! Are they having an impromptu extension to the season to take advantage of the late snowfall???

Fri 22nd April St Anton Fri22April 16.15.jpg Mon 25th April St Anton Mon25April 17.45.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

ITCrazy as it seems Malcolm, the quality of the snow at 1800m plus is the best of the whole season.Now most lifts are closed and out of reach for most.Yesterday there was some wonderful powder snow on the higher runs in Obertauren and more expected even to lower levels. Only 1/2 hour drive away from the valley. I have delayed my trip to Spain and Blighty to enjoy the wonderful late Spring conditions. Get it while you can I say, that's snow of course !

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 3

Posted
On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:02 AM, carinthian said:

ITCrazy as it seems Malcolm, the quality of the snow at 1800m plus is the best of the whole season.Now most lifts are closed and out of reach for most.Yesterday there was some wonderful powder snow on the higher runs in Obertauren and more expected even to lower levels. Only 1/2 hour drive away from the valley. I have delayed my trip to Spain and Blighty to enjoy the wonderful late Spring conditions. Get it while you can I say, that's snow of course !

C

What a waste !

C

tschaneck.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Always found this closing on a set date thing a bit weird in most resorts in the Alps. In Canada, USA and even Scotland they don't work this way and tend to try to stay open as late as possible based on the snow conditions. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 28/04/2016 at 10:36 PM, Paul said:

Always found this closing on a set date thing a bit weird in most resorts in the Alps. In Canada, USA and even Scotland they don't work this way and tend to try to stay open as late as possible based on the snow conditions. 

It is a shame Paul. And it's probably a  frustrating situation for many involved in the resorts when they reach their 'close by' date, yet conditions remain good. I posted some thoughts about the reasons for having set closing dates (in Europe) back on page 17. https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/84332-alps-pyrenees-snow-thread-201516/?do=findComment&comment=3371844

And here we are on the 1st May and the French media are running a story about "the return of the snow" this Sunday morning, with 15cms reported in Val Thorens and Val D'Isere. Ironically Val D'Isere closes at the end of today. Val Thorens remains open for one more week, closing on 8th May.

Meribel Meribel.jpe Val Thorens Val Thoren.jpg Val D'Isere Val D'Isere.jpg

http://www.ledauphine.com/actualite/2016/05/01/retour-de-la-neige-vos-conditions-de-circulation-ce-matin

• Like 2

Posted

The President of the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Region and the President of Ski area of France (DSF) have announced today an immediate investment of 10 million Euros in snow cannons and associated water supply reservoirs to protect the 100,000 jobs and 7 billion in turnover of Rhône-Alpes from the "hiccups of the weather".

A total of 200 million is planned to be spent over the coming few years. They noted that over the last 10 years "France has invested 300 to € 400 million in snowmaking while Austria put 1 billion € on the table". In addition, Isere County Council have promised to invest 1 € in snow making for every 1 € spent by ski resorts.

Me thinks the penny (or should I say euro) may have finally dropped in the French mountains!!

Full story in the French media: http://www.ledauphine.com/skichrono/2016/05/03/plan-montagne-un-lancement-aux-sons-des-canons

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted
On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 21:21, carinthian said:

Interesting post season analysis there for French Resorts Malcolm. I have no idea on comparison between France and Austria as regards numbers of visitors, but I can confirm many resorts in Austria held there lift prices and in some cases reduced the cost. Food in Austrian Mountain Huts offer great value with many meals offered at around 10 euro  ( £7 .50 )  Beers about the same as the UK. Certainly Austria is upping its game with its investment in modern lift systems and snow making fascilities. I have certainly seen a big change of the past 10 years and at a affordable price. I think next year Austria will offer the best value for money for a great all round ski package that provides good ski-ing and great Apre scene.

C

I know is a bit early but to wet the appetite of ski fans and lovers of winter Alpine scenery its only 17 weeks to start of the new ski season 16/17 . The pictures are of my favourite ski run in Katschberg ski resort, the A10 , a super easy 7 km glide, one of the longest runs in Austria. First picture is the end of the run into St Margaretten Village, second picture is half way point with Lungau Valley in fog, third is end base , one of my favourite beer stops, The Grizzly Bar in St Margaretten. Counting the weeks down now !

C

1909376_998185683541755_1533066826_o.jpg

12719490_1972362036124110_6467216857705465360_o.jpg

12188187_409832295889548_6041595379050015169_o.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
On 29/07/2016 at 11:04, carinthian said:

I know is a bit early but to wet the appetite of ski fans and lovers of winter Alpine scenery its only 17 weeks to start of the new ski season 16/17 . The pictures are of my favourite ski run in Katschberg ski resort, the A10 , a super easy 7 km glide, one of the longest runs in Austria. First picture is the end of the run into St Margaretten Village, second picture is half way point with Lungau Valley in fog, third is end base , one of my favourite beer stops, The Grizzly Bar in St Margaretten. Counting the weeks down now !

C

It's never too early to get us skiing fanatics all excited about the coming season Paul!! The anticipation is already ramping up!  :laugh: 

Me and the gang have just booked a house in Garmisch-Partenkirchen for next January. What we're looking forward to is being able to ski a variety of German and Austrian resorts from our 'base camp'. Garmisch has it's own 'Classic' ski area on the edge of town as well as a cable car up to the Zugspitze glacier, and within a very short drive you can ski 3 Austrian resorts - Lermoos, Ehrwald and Seefeld. Can't wait.......

The view through the clouds down to Garmisch from the top of the Zugspitze cable car  Zugspitze view.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

It's never too early to get us skiing fanatics all excited about the coming season Paul!! The anticipation is already ramping up!  :laugh: 

Me and the gang have just booked a house in Garmisch-Partenkirchen for next January. What we're looking forward to is being able to ski a variety of German and Austrian resorts from our 'base camp'. Garmisch has it's own 'Classic' ski area on the edge of town as well as a cable car up to the Zugspitze glacier, and within a very short drive you can ski 3 Austrian resorts - Lermoos, Ehrwald and Seefeld. Can't wait.......

The view through the clouds down to Garmisch from the top of the Zugspitze cable car  Zugspitze view.jpg

Hi Malcolm, Never been to that part of the world. I have friends back in the UK who regularly ski the Innsbruck- Land region. One who goes back year after year to the same hotel in Seefeld. Looks like a good base for your ski team and plenty of height if the temps are a bit warm. Have lots of groups coming out next season so should be well occupied with guiding around the Lungau ski region. Some big drinkers in that lot as well, so have warned the wife what to expect !

C

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Snow settling on the piste of one of the nearby resorts. Turrach Hohe in the Nockberge National Park. High level resort at 18oom  asl. Unusal event for  early/ mid August Dog Days of summer. Cloud now clearing in Katschberg can see snow level down to 2000m on our local mountains. Horrible and cold today 3c.

C

15.jpg

• 1 month later...
Posted

Good Morning all. Only 2 months to opening of the lifts, ( hopefully !)  Nice to see DAM values lowering in the Eastern Alps by next weekend with some sub zero 850hph values mixed in.

C

alpthick.png

• Like 1

Posted
On 01/10/2016 at 09:11, carinthian said:

Good Morning all. Only 2 months to opening of the lifts, ( hopefully !)  Nice to see DAM values lowering in the Eastern Alps by next weekend with some sub zero 850hph values mixed in.

C

alpthick.png

Hi Paul. A very nice pool of -5C 850 cold air heading your direction for next week according to GFS. Then both it and ECM suggest you keep the 0C isotherm over your locale for some days to follow, with precipitation over eastern Austria. It could be turning white on a mountain top near you soon! :)

GFS 0z 850 Thurs 6th Oct GFS 850 Thurs 06Oct.png

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Malcolm, exciting looking chart that one. Hope that's a run we will see a lot more of this coming winter. On way back next weekend as Advent Weg promotion in resort. Lots of logs to be chopped if winter comes early !

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

A dusting of snow again at the tops, very wet though.

• Like 1

Posted

Oh my the Edelweiss cam is showing some lovely snow.

So it must have snowed down to 1200m.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

Oh my the Edelweiss cam is showing some lovely snow.

So it must have snowed down to 1200m.

Don't know about you seaside, but I enjoy this time of the year, hopefully watching the snow line slowly descend down the mountain with the passing weeks! With the models showing cold air heading down towards Alps, there's hopefully some good webcam viewing coming over the next couple of weeks.

Here's this morning's view towards Gampen at St Anton. The top is 1,800m.

St Anton 03 Oct 2016.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

I love looking out for the first snows.
More so as i got older.

• Like 2

Posted

Well its looking very wintry on the Edelweiss can and so must be across many Alpine resorts.

A very early taste of winter, even more so as charts are showing a fairly long spell of colder weather for these regions.

So different to last year.
If I remember most had no snow up till December.

Posted

The Edelweiss cam shows the Alps to be a glorious white wonderland.

It wont last but hey, first week in October looks pretty good.

Posted

There's great excitement in the French Alps today, with the arrival of the first heavy snowfall of the upcoming 2016/17 season arriving today. Le Dauphine newspaper reporting "La neige est là!" (The snow is here!) and reporting that Meteo France has issued a Yellow warning for heavy snow in the mountains. Some high Alpine passes have been temporarily closed. http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2016/10/13/la-neige-est-la

A couple of photos from the report:

Serre Chevalier earlier serre-chevalier.jpg Montegnevre before dawn montegnevre.jpg

Arpege showing the heavy precipitation today Arpege France Precip Thurs 14Oct 11.00.png

Euro4 forecast precip accum 24hrs to Fri 18.00 Euro4 Snow Accum 24hrs to Fri Oct14 18.00.gif

A long way to go before the start of the season proper, but it always brings a smile to the face (mine at least!) to see the first heavy snows arrive at resort level in the mountains! :)

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

There's great excitement in the French Alps today, with the arrival of the first heavy snowfall of the upcoming 2016/17 season arriving today. Le Dauphine newspaper reporting "La neige est là!" (The snow is here!) and reporting that Meteo France has issued a Yellow warning for heavy snow in the mountains. Some high Alpine passes have been temporarily closed. http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2016/10/13/la-neige-est-la

A couple of photos from the report:

Serre Chevalier earlier serre-chevalier.jpg Montegnevre before dawn montegnevre.jpg

Arpege showing the heavy precipitation today Arpege France Precip Thurs 14Oct 11.00.png

Euro4 forecast precip accum 24hrs to Fri 18.00 Euro4 Snow Accum 24hrs to Fri Oct14 18.00.gif

A long way to go before the start of the season proper, but it always brings a smile to the face (mine at least!) to see the first heavy snows arrive at resort level in the mountains! :)

Evening Malcolm,

do you remember when the snows arrived last year, I have it in my mind well into December.

I know the law of averages says most of this will melt, I just don't remember there being any at all early last year.

Posted
1 hour ago, seaside 60 said:

Evening Malcolm,

do you remember when the snows arrived last year, I have it in my mind well into December.

I know the law of averages says most of this will melt, I just don't remember there being any at all early last year.

Hi seaside. Last year was an absolute nightmare at the start of the season! After the long hot summer on the Continent, the pistes of resorts were brown and bare right the way up to the 21st of November. Then it snowed heavily, with up to a metre of snow in some resorts. Hoorah people thought!

But then the mild westerlies set in and the pattern didn't relent. The November snow melted and the result was a disastrous Christmas period for many resorts, with only man-made snow allowing limited skiing. Take a look below at the webcam shot from Morzine at 1,000m on Dec 28th!!!! Awful.

Heavy snow and cold finally arrived on January 2nd, too late to save even the New Year's holiday week as it arrived just as people were leaving!

My bones are telling me this coming season will be much better (he says, crossing everything). :)

Morzine Pleney run 28th Dec 2015 Morzine 28Dec 2015.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Grab from the Serre Ratier cam this morning at Serre Chevalier after yesterdays snow. Probably a wet stuff that will melt in the coming days but nice to see all the same.

serre.png

@Blessed WeatherI hope you are tight about the upcoming season as we fly out to Serre Chevalier on 27th Dec. After poor starts to recent seasons I'm hoping the odds will favour this one being better.

Last year in St.Anton we skied mainly on man made snow on new years week, and give them credit, it wasn't too bad. The limited runs though made it a little crowded at times and high traffic areas suffered. Temperatures were a little too warm at times during the day too, which meant Scottish style 'firm' pistes in the morning, turning to heavy and lumpy in the afternoon.

The year before, at the same time, we got caught up in the 'great blizzard' when we arrived in France. We got to the resort a day late, after spending the night on the floor of a hall in Albertville. The skiing though was saved by that snowfall so we weren't complaining. The rest of the week was largely sunny, but very cold. The snow was generally OK if thin in places, and there was no base so high traffic areas at the end of the day were getting through to the rocks and grass at times.

Just for once I'd like to arrive in resort to loads of snow, with every run open.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Grab from the Serre Ratier cam this morning at Serre Chevalier after yesterdays snow. Probably a wet stuff that will melt in the coming days but nice to see all the same.

serre.png

I see from that webcam shot that the poor old cows are still wondering around in the mountain pastures. Probably wondering why they've not been tucked up in their cattle sheds down in the valley for the winter! But no doubt the farmer has checked the forecasts and spotted that a lot of the snow cover at mid-mountain will be temporary, with a milder few days coming up. So no panic in taking the herd down the mountain just yet!

• Like 1