Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

UK Tanning Season Begins Now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

It's that time of year again folks where I've been keeping a strong eye on the UV forecasts. 

The first moderate UV index was actually in February in the Scilly Isles, but for quantifiable data, I only use mainland Britain for this thread each year, and this year is no exception, using Hayle in Cornwall as my chosen location. 

As usual using UVAwareness, we can see the first moderate UV indexes appearing on March 10th, 4 days earlier than last year. 

Generally when they hit moderate it increases very fast. So this is the first step towards summer. Let us pray it's a long, dry, hot, sunny one! 

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I used to love flicking onto Ceefax as a kid to see when the first sun indexes of 2 would appear, and watching the numbers increase as we got further towards Summer. Despite my love of all things summer I always ensure I'm well covered in sun lotion as I'm quite fair skinned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yes from the end of March onwards I have to be careful. And remember, tanning is no better for you than burning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Generally up here it takes until the very end of March before we see the first moderate UV index's. I'm quite olive skinned & had dark brown hair when I was younger due to Italian ancestry but I can still burn a bit in the strongest sun between late May and late July. Before and after those times I don't feel much impact in the UK. Of course if I was a ginger haired person or very fair skinned I would probably feel it starting some point this month.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted

Around April is when I begin to see a slight change. Nothing really though until May. But it's nice that winter is finally losing its grip :)

Posted

Here we go! Excellent :)

image.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 3/7/2016 at 9:47 PM, Nick L said:

Yes from the end of March onwards I have to be careful. And remember, tanning is no better for you than burning!

On the hand too little sun is harmful.  It's not only for SAD sufferers like myself but sun exposure creates Vitamin D3 under the skin from "harmful" cholesterol.  Most supplements contain Vit D2 which isn't anywhere as bio-available as D3.  Vit D3 is implicated in the suppression of many cancers.  Despite being fair-skinned and freckled all over (I'm an inveterate sunbather) my GP informed me that I've got the complexion of a man ten years younger.  It should be borne in mind that most melanomas occur in places "the sun don't shine" (unless you're a naturist), and my single mole is regularly checked.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, Wildswimmer Pete said:

On the hand too little sun is harmful.  It's not only for SAD sufferers like myself but sun exposure creates Vitamin D3 under the skin from "harmful" cholesterol.  Most supplements contain Vit D2 which isn't anywhere as bio-available as D3.  Vit D3 is implicated in the suppression of many cancers.  Despite being fair-skinned and freckled all over (I'm an inveterate sunbather) my GP informed me that I've got the complexion of a man ten years younger.  It should be borne in mind that most melanomas occur in places "the sun don't shine" (unless you're a naturist), and my single mole is regularly checked.

Absolutely, like with most things in life it's all good in moderation :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The more sun the better here in the UK imho. The thing that annoys me the most about our climate is how much useless cloud we get that just sits there doing nothing. 

• Like 2