Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Got a max of 21.1 c yesterday,I hope thats the last time I see temps in the 20s till well into next spring.

A nice fairly fresh and mostly clear morning here,lasts nights min 9.4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
36 minutes ago, Nick L said:

3 uncomfortably warm nights and I'm utterly shattered.

I'm lucky with the aircon at home,but still knackered working in that crap this week so you must be done in!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Hope autumn kicks in for next weekend with a cool air-mass as I don't fancy running a hilly marathon with warm Southerlies in place! There hasn't been any cold nights so far this month!

Posted

Must admit it is hugely pleasurable to have the sudden change to cooler conditions. A rapid big drop in temps always makes it feel so much more comfortable in my opinion,no sweating,no banging headache,no stuffy offices,much better!:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Autumn, I welcome you with open arms! After what was one of the longest, driest and warmest Summers I can remember, to see the clouds rolling over and to hear the wind rushing through the trees is quite simply wonderful; the change is here (and hopefully it sticks around). So much fresher out there, not even 16.0C! Been out for a walk and I didn't sweat out an ocean's worth of water! I actually can't remember the last time we had a day as overcast as this.

The downpour last night should help to ameliorate the situation with the ground, it's been like concrete for weeks. A friend of mine has had to be cautious when walking his dog in a nearby floodplain because it's legs were getting stuck down the enormous (both wide and deep) cracks that have opened up there.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
5 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Much fresher now here Nick, Hopefully that's the last of it for this year.

I hope so too! I work in the kitchen of a small country house hotel close to where I live and the heat and stuffiness of the atmosphere has been as trying, if not more so, than at any time during the summer. And that is at 400 metres above sea-level in the North Pennines! Hence the change to something more seasonal for September cannot come soon enough. 

Of course there is a saying that "If You Cannot Stand The Heat Get Out Of The Kitchen!", but it has been more than just Kitchen Heat. Normally you can open a window and put the fan on to keep cool enough to work, but the warmth and humidity outside has been so much that it has had no real effect. And moreover, after about 8 pm at this time of year, i. e. after dark, the midges still pour in through any open window and eat one alive. Yes, thanks to the balmy weather we have as many midges as ever, and at a time of year when one expects them to die off!!

Edited by iapennell
add point

Posted
16 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Hi Gael_Force. For some reason your quote from iappennel has appeared as a quote from me. I'm sure you know you have quoted him and not me though. Probably just because you quoted him from my post which had his post quoted in it (all a bit confusing I know), in which I asked whether he had any reason or not to have any faith in the September Glosea update, posted on here by CreweCold, which shows a blocked Winter pattern. He hasn't as yet answered, though I take it from his insistence that the odds are stacked against a cold Winter 2016/17 that he doesn't (not yet at least anyway). 

Apologies, WWS. I've a bad habit of starting at the most recent post and working backward so must have highlighted the bit of Ian's post which you quoted. I've found it is easier just to highlight a bit of text and get the quote option rather than hit the normal quote button and then edit for space saving.

I was trying to point to some newer research which indicates a warming world may not be a uniform process and some areas, notably the Atlantic region, could actually be bucking the trend. I'm sure the last IPCC report included a few paragraphs on the subject but would need to do some digging to find it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Just cold, cloudy and breezy. No idea what the fuss is. Put my T-shirts and shorts away yesterday under the knowledge that I probably won't need them again until April or May next year.. depressing. The departure of summer is always sad.

That being said, the outlook is decent enough with no Atlantic onslaught or deep low pressure systems barreling through. Hopefully we get very few storms this autumn - and most importantly, very little rain!!

Edited by cheese

Posted
On 15/09/2016 at 11:38, Gael_Force said:

No problem Gael_Force. I agree (or at least lean towards) that things are not necessarily so clear cut in terms of what a warming Arctic means for our future Winters. Then again I don't wholeheartedly believe that Arctic warming is now perpetual and that it couldn't for some reason cool again (though I admit there is no sign of this currently but I don't believe it's an impossibility like some do as I am wary of absolute claims concerning an unseen future).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

Just cold, cloudy and breezy. No idea what the fuss is. Put my T-shirts and shorts away yesterday under the knowledge that I probably won't need them again until April or May next year.. depressing. The departure of summer is always sad.

That being said, the outlook is decent enough with no Atlantic onslaught or deep low pressure systems barreling through. Hopefully we get very few storms this autumn - and most importantly, very little rain!!

share same thoughts as you about autumn, cannot understand anybody liking Atlantic storms, floods and gales, 

• Like 1

Posted
On 15/09/2016 at 11:38, Gael_Force said:

In response to Matthew Wilson I suppose Winter 2014/15 is one of those Winters whereby people will have different opinions on it based on location. It was defiantly colder than the 2 Winters either side of it but there was defiantly a north/south split during that Winter with Scotland and northern England doing ok, but with here in the Midlands and especially southern England doing poorly. Here we had a few snow showers if I remember rightly but it always seemed to be a dusting and gone by midday at the latest. We had the snow on the evening of Boxing Day, but it was very wet and didn't stick about for long, though it was followed briefly for a day or 2 by anticyclonic conditions which produced a bit of frost (nothing potent though). Elevation was also key during that Winter as areas in the Peak District had alot more than here. I suppose it did lean towards average UK wide really but in the south of the UK it was probably leaning towards the milder side of average with some areas of the south getting nothing at all. Though if the 3 mild Winters between 2 colder ones theory doesn't produce a cold Winter this time, we can always blame it on Winter 2014/15 not been mild enough. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Days like today are some of the best of the year IMO. It's 14C, overcast and breezy, which for me is nigh on perfect for wearing a t shirt and shorts when you're out and about. Feels very fresh, you can feel the wind passing over your skin and keeping you at a comfortable temperature. Overheating is not a problem, and neither is sweating. I also love to look up on days like today, seeing the clouds roll over and looking at the myriad patterns that can be seen within them as they do. Wonderful stuff, and we should have more to come in the weeks ahead. Then we have the first frosts to look forward to, and very quickly we will descend into Winter... :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Days like today are some of the best of the year IMO. It's 14C, overcast and breezy, which for me is nigh on perfect for wearing a t shirt and shorts when you're out and about. Feels very fresh, you can feel the wind passing over your skin and keeping you at a comfortable temperature. Overheating is not a problem, and neither is sweating. I also love to look up on days like today, seeing the clouds roll over and looking at the myriad patterns that can be seen within them as they do. Wonderful stuff, and we should have more to come in the weeks ahead. Then we have the first frosts to look forward to, and very quickly we will descend into Winter... :)

here is always windy, miles too windy here, my favourite Sept weather is that of last 4 days, never felt too hot,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Been great today - nice brisk wind and cool. House temp is just about perfect and the humidity has dropped a lot in here.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

here is always windy, miles too windy here, my favourite Sept weather is that of last 4 days, never felt too hot,

Never felt to hot!!! For many that is strange who have really suffered this week,its been awful work wise.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
50 minutes ago, markyo said:

Never felt to hot!!! For many that is strange who have really suffered this week,its been awful work wise.

It's more strange to hear people looking forward to winter when probably 90% of people hate it and go out of their way to avoid it. 

Likewise I know nobody - literally nobody - who thinks 14C and overcast is 'nice'. That is the type of weather that gives the UK climate its terrible reputation abroad.

Netweather always seems to attract 'odd' people who have weather preferences that differ greatly to the majority of the population. Most people in the real world like warm, sunny weather, not cold, breezy weather. 

Not that there's anything wrong with liking that..!

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Here we had a few snow showers if I remember rightly but it always seemed to be a dusting and gone by midday at the latest. We had the snow on the evening of Boxing Day, but it was very wet and didn't stick about for long, 

The Uk's average temp during winter is just that little to high(Scotland excluded) for snow to stay around at 6c max and 2c min unless as you mentioned elevation is a factor. So in 2014/15 we didnt get much snow that lasted because of a lot of close to average weather. If only the Uk average in winter was 4c max and 0c min it would make all the difference lasting, as night-times the snow would freeze prolonging it staying around longer. Looking through the records 2009-10 winter was around the magical staying lying snow figure for the Uk in general which brings back memories of snow remaining for days:)

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

It's more strange to hear people looking forward to winter when probably 90% of people hate it and go out of their way to avoid it. 

Likewise I know nobody - literally nobody - who thinks 14C and overcast is 'nice'. That is the type of weather that gives the UK climate its terrible reputation abroad.

Netweather always seems to attract 'odd' people who have weather preferences that differ greatly to the majority of the population. Most people in the real world like warm, sunny weather, not cold, breezy weather. 

I'm a serious weather enthusiast, I appreciate almost every weather type you can possibly think of (there is only one thing that springs to mind that I dislike). I'll admit that to like such weather is unusual among the general populace, but wouldn't you expect to find people who appreciate all kinds of weather on a weather forum? My oddness is just my enthusiasm, simple as. People who don't like cold are actually more "odd" among our community of weather enthusiasts here; the forum goes nuts in Winter, and by contrast in Summer it feels a bit dead.

Personally, I love weather I can really feel and see, I love experiencing the elements. The atmosphere is a truly amazing thing. Today was great, I could feel the wind rushing over my skin and I could see the clouds rolling over, exhibiting chaotic and fascinating patterns as the air sloshed around high above. (As someone who studies theoretical physics, chaotic systems and complex fluid dynamics are just some of the things that really fascinate me. I love meteorology, and cloudy skies in particular, for these reasons.)

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 9

Posted

High-tide alerts along the Norfolk-Lincolnshire coast this evening, first of the autumnal tides! Heres a picture from a local from my town from about 2 hours ago..

14391020_1102378163144949_2690767011208578989_n.jpg

EDIT: Correction, seems like the alerts/warnings spread all down the east coast? Not sure the areas, havent checked the environment agency website myself yet.

Edited by Delka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
28 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

I'm a serious weather enthusiast, I appreciate almost every weather type you can possibly think of (there is only one thing that springs to mind that I dislike). I'll admit that to like such weather is unusual among the general populace, but wouldn't you expect to find people who appreciate all kinds of weather on a weather forum? My oddness is just my enthusiasm, simple as. People who don't like cold are actually more "odd" among our community of weather enthusiasts here; the forum goes nuts in Winter, and by contrast in Summer it feels a bit dead.

Personally, I love weather I can really feel and see, I love experiencing the elements. The atmosphere is a truly amazing thing. Today was great, I could feel the wind rushing over my skin and I could see the clouds rolling over, exhibiting chaotic and fascinating patterns as the air sloshed around high above. (As someone who studies theoretical physics, chaotic systems and complex fluid dynamics are just some of the things that really fascinate me. I love meteorology, and cloudy skies in particular, for these reasons.)

I disliked the climate in California when I worked there, most of the time I found it boring - pretty much sunny every day in Summer and early Autumn. No rain at all from June into November. Not even a thunderstorm, so where there was grass it was absolutely parched yellow and brown with the strong sun. You didn't need to look at the weather forecast for a few months unless there was a major heatwave, you got up and it was sunny all day every day for a few months.

Then my god we finally got rain in early November along with wind as a Pacific low pressure system finally came ashore. I noticed after the rain came the fog, it was worst most persistent I have seen, it gets incredibly foggy in the central valley of California normally after a Pacific LP has pushed through and can take ages to shift. There was also frost when I was there, nothing major but got down to -3C on a couple of occasions as cold air filtered down from Canada along with a ridge of high pressure. We had to scrape the rental car I drove while I was there. Overall though I didn't find the climate all that interesting. It didn't snow, probably elevation was factor being only 20 feet above sea level. I bet if I lived in South Lake Tahoe I would have liked it better with tons of snow that they get - with that town/city being over 6000 feet up! Sorry mods off topic.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 6

Posted
10 hours ago, cheese said:

Suppose that puts me in the odd person category then! Nothing wrong with being odd though,liking the good nights sleep,lack of sweating,clear head,more energy,yep odd's good then!. Got to fully admit though 14c overcast is not what i'd call nice,workable yes but thats about it. Summer can be so fickle,fine line between lovely warm blue skied days to vile heat and humidity.  As for winter it's a change of season so a change of interest,suspect strongly many enjoy the chase for the cold as much as they do for the heat. As you well put there's nothing wrong with liking your preferred weather.!

• Like 1