Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
Just now, WillinGlossop said:

Maybe Maybe not... all depends on wind direction for showers...if showers can band together into troughs wind direction will be less important... should be cold enough... if you get the cold in place first then the fun and games can happen and sometime only appear through nowcasting... good luck one and all for an early Christmas present....

I definitely think you will get blasted up there with some impressive drifts I’d think

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Maybe Maybe not... all depends on wind direction for showers...if showers can band together into troughs wind direction will be less important... should be cold enough... if you get the cold in place first then the fun and games can happen and sometime only appear through nowcasting... good luck one and all for an early Christmas present....

great advantage though that high up, especially for slider, W'ly, WNW'ly and NW'ly, will produce for you, not needing -10 uppers either

• Like 1

Posted

Fingers crossed for myself and everyone else to get lots of snow... I’ve not had proper snowdrifts in the 4&1/2 years I’ve lived up here.... missed March 2013 by a six weeks... would be nice to get drifting, thunder snow, ice days, icicles.... with the Christmas decorations up.... 

• Like 2

Posted

I'm a huge believer in Elevation and snow, many forum members may say obsessed, but it is the most important thing

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

I'm in Telford, new here only these last three years, so I'm still trying to get to grips with the weather patterns. 

This Cheshire Streamer - is that a NWerly coming in snow-laden across the flat ground, yes? I have searched in vain, as it doesn't seem to be defined anywhere! 

We're about 150m asl, with higher ground nearby, and looking out the window of our little flat, there is nothing but view for 37 miles to the Berwyn hills of N.Wales, so I do hope we get some snow this winter...

After all, I've that new skirt to go prancing about in snow drifts in! :)

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

good elevation you have, mine is pants compared to most of the midlands

I put your rough location into here http://en-gb.topographic-map.com/places/Wildwood-Shopping-Centre-1608465/ 

and the findings are you have better elevation than most of the Midlands. Needlessly whinging about your elevation. I should be the one calling ‘pants’ with my 23ft ASL in my eyes you’re high up!...

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I put your rough location into here http://en-gb.topographic-map.com/places/Wildwood-Shopping-Centre-1608465/ 

and the findings are you have better elevation than most of the Midlands. Needlessly whinging about your elevation...I should be the one calling ‘pants’ with my 23ft ASL in my eyes you’re high up!...

Wildwood not bad for Stafford it's self, the town is 81m, but Cannock, Walsall, Stoke, Telford, Tamworth, Lichfield all higher up

Posted
7 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

18z brings very little if any snow to the Midlands.

Miles out yet for snow distribution, but yes on this 18Z winds more N to NNW'ly, so more wishbone, this is Welsh snowfest, 3 feet on higher parts, hope on 00Z's that we get more westerly angle

h850t850eu.png

Posted

Well very good 6z for snow for the midlands. The Chesire Gap in full effect has showers barrel through on a Stiff breeze   elevation as always will help with accum    could be interesting come Friday  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

Well very good 6z for snow for the midlands. The Chesire Gap in full effect has showers barrel through on a Stiff breeze   elevation as always will help with accum    could be interesting come Friday  

Yes, good Cheshire Gap streamer showing on 06Z, looks better angle for us, certainly than last nights 18Z

h850t850eu.pngprectypeuktopo.png

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 2

Posted

Great 6z, with a persistent Cheshire Gap streamer.

Detail will continue to chop and change but I'm excited! :yahoo:

11812BBC-DD7F-48EF-BCC1-AC8D0964F3B7.jpeg

E89B6994-E1F0-4D4D-9980-3F53E898183C.jpeg

5483D553-D8B1-41C7-A0E8-4BA2ADC81248.jpeg

FC092E03-B1EE-44FC-BB87-4852E0CD35B9.jpeg

5D2BE9C2-DA13-48FC-BF6B-196D74118564.jpeg

C6524661-684C-406F-AD91-E2CC2B9A54E9.jpeg

1CA91882-351B-4845-99A4-3EA5D9861277.jpeg

7598E7DC-CD8F-41F1-9F3E-492FCAE7E59D.jpeg

4B055945-2139-443F-A0C8-0D2991D8BC6B.jpeg

3B9B1253-1267-4E42-89F4-482EFC843A05.jpeg

3EA470FD-41B0-4555-9AA8-8B6611398BB9.jpeg

D1D0208F-B01D-4E06-A348-591D8B19E3D2.jpeg

054B3DD1-907F-49C0-A994-4D8D89577A20.jpeg

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted

Also what i find quite encouraging  is that although produced this morning at 3am   the metoffice are already mentioning snow showers for this region.

Becoming windy Wednesday with widespread gales and heavy rain moving eastwards later on. Rain clearing early Thursday then turning much colder from the north with blustery snow showers possible occasionally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

@MattStoke that is quite a result on the Netweather App!  Is that the one with data taken from the GFS?   Had snow for my area on the BBC/Met office app earlier but gone now.  There one minute, gone the next.  :hi:

Really hoping something for the whole Midlands at the end of week. From reading between the lines on the Mod forum might be more on the way...:cold::bomb:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Friday 6am

Netweather GFS Image

Still a long way off and not likely to actually verify exactly but c'mon!  Certainly heading for real cold at the end of week and for a few days after that.:cold:

Posted
26 minutes ago, Barometer Cat said:

Friday 6am

Netweather GFS Image

Still a long way off and not likely to actually verify exactly but c'mon!  Certainly heading for real cold at the end of week and for a few days after that.:cold:

hopefully, winds though a bit more northerly on 12Z, Shropshire best placed (in this region), 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

hopefully, winds though a bit more northerly on 12Z, Shropshire best placed (in this region), 

If we do get lucky here in Shropshire, I promise to go out and do my very best to enjoy it for everyone in the discussion!

Posted

Looking good again for Friday. Amount of snow is up in the air. And the totals on the gfs are not to be taken seriously . With a strong wind   showers or more organised bands of precipitation will push way inland  we could well have a few surprises 

Posted
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

Looking good again for Friday. Amount of snow is up in the air. And the totals on the gfs are not to be taken seriously . With a strong wind   showers or more organised bands of precipitation will push way inland  we could well have a few surprises 

my interest on sliders too, first one on GFS tracks too far west, we're dry, 2nd one tracks too far east, we're wet, long way off yet though

gfs-0-138.png?12gfs-0-168.png?12

Posted

Like the Peak District change in forecast...

27835C78-5E84-418D-9CBF-774717B88EB0.png

3D208115-7C6F-40FD-BCF6-F06CA0B7C1E2.jpeg

2nd slider, and 3rd, give you a dump, Elevation rules! low ground drools!

Posted
20 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

Fingers crossed for myself and everyone else to get lots of snow... I’ve not had proper snowdrifts in the 4&1/2 years I’ve lived up here.... missed March 2013 by a six weeks... would be nice to get drifting, thunder snow, ice days, icicles.... with the Christmas decorations up.... 

No massive snowdrifts since well that was the exception rather was in late march/april 2013.

Last time any snow drifted on fields was in a cold zonality spell in 2015 westerly.

Rare to see from the west.

Last year was close but no cigar from the east.