Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/1/2017 ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Temperature's got down to 0°C now which looked unlikely an hour ago. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
12 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

All-time record light is flashing on my site.. :D

Lowest maximum. Also my lowest max today at 2.9°C although my data's only been recorded since September. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
25 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Lowest maximum. Also my lowest max today at 2.9°C although my data's only been recorded since September. 

It surprised me to see the cloud disappear. At least it will make for a 5th consecutive frost day.

chart.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

It surprised me to see the cloud disappear. At least it will make for a 5th consecutive frost day.

I was watching the temperature hovering above 1°C for ages then came back a while later to find it at 0.4°C so guessed the cloud had gone. Now down to -0.6°C. Looks like a lot of inland areas are a few degrees lower.

Posted

Interesting to see Bournemouth airport at 1.4°C, there must be cloud that way, as its usually two or three degrees lower than me. Benson at -7.1°C

Posted

I might go out with my telescope soon for a view of Jupiter although the moon is pretty bright at the moment might still be able to see a few moons, no detail though as I only have a 130p

• Like 1

Posted

Think that cloud might be over here, temperatures suddenly rising quite quickly.

Posted
36 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I might go out with my telescope soon for a view of Jupiter although the moon is pretty bright at the moment might still be able to see a few moons, no detail though as I only have a 130p

Hey Zephyr

Had a great view of Jupiter the other night with my Celestron SE4. Could make out coloured bands and the moons were bright. That was just using the 25mm Plossl eyepiece. Hope to get some more magnification for it soon.

Happy stargazing!

p.s I don't think the moon rises for us now until about 3am

pps what is your 130p? A Skywatcher Dobsonian?

Edited by kumquat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

You can't make this stuff up. Forecasts of today being the day it would get proper mild are so far from the mark. Slight warm up tomorrow but by Thursday it's cold again with snow predicted on Dartmoor :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

Mornin all, currently -0.5C (31.1°F), Apparent temp -2.3°C,. Temp has hovered around 0 C most of the night.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Morning all. Temp -1.8c dew -4.0c no wind.

did anybody get anything from the rain that past overnight, or was just rain/ drizzle.

over on the mad thread 6 posts in 9hrs, things not looking good reading into that.

fromey

Posted

The 5th consecutive clear, sunny and frosty morning! Is there moisture due to arrive later and overnight? Fog seems prevalent in app forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Temp bottomed out twice at -1.8c. Interestingly the 2nd time was at 8:45am.

graph gives a good visual display of cloud coming and going, especially towards morning.

Currently -1.1C. Off to Bridport today for the eldest sons footy. Might wonder to the coast of time allows whilst out that way. 

IMG_5596.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I cannot believe the Radar!!!! We just aren't destined to get snow this winter. That's a U turn on my bold prediction last night...fuelled somewhat by Budweiser (other lagers are available) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning all, a much milder feeling 2c here currently, temp bottomed out at -2.7 overnight. Frost is melting fast, although a long way from being overcast it's much cloudier today.

Posted

Heavy frost here this morning.
Had to get a trowel out to ease up some leeks for lunch and the brusssels sprouts and tops were solid.

Got down to 0.2c at 3.39 this morning, lowest all week.
4.2c now and lovely sunshine.
But that ENE wind making it feel bitter like his had for the last few days.
Only got up to 3.8c yesterday and was 1.2c around 6am. The bird table water stayed iced up all day. Did break it up one side for them to use.
Tue, Wed and Thur was 5-6c high and 1c low.

Posted

A low of -2.1°C. Nice and sunny they said.. its cloudy!

Temp: 5.3°C - Hum: 88% - Dew: 3.5°C - Bar: 1026.55hPa - Wind: Calm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Hello fellow southwesters.

Nice to return home to some perma frost last night. Briefly started to melt this morning before sky cleared once again leaving most intact on ground and grass today. 

I see we still have no snow in sight though. :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Afternoon, hope everyone is enjoying the dry weather..

Wanted to share a few thoughts about this winter, and my childhood memories of the winters in the 80's, see if they resonate with anyone else. I can't remember the specific years (growing up in Gloucester) but in my memory there seemed to a theme in the cold, snowy winters perhaps a little similar to this one. I remember cold, dry early winters, with fog and frosts from the off, sometimes from November, interspersed with milder days with rain, then colder days with light snow showers and sun. If I remember right this pattern would often be before Christmas, usually with a mild green Christmas Day. The real cold would only appear after, from mid January through to end febuary, with half a foot of snow for lasting for a week being fairly normal, often starting with heavy rain turning to snow ( which is why I never worry about snow settling if it rains first - if the temp drop is high enough), and then milder bits as well.

This winter for me feels like a long drawn out version of those memories - we've had dry, pretty cold with some hard frosts, some snow showers, some mild and rain. I'm wondering (very in-scientifically) if the possibility of a decent cold spell, with reasonable amounts of lying snow is still possible this winter, even early March. I've frequently read the MOD thread, and all I can pick up is how inaccurate the models have been mid-long range. I'm as sick of 'winter is over' as much as 'day 10 is amazing for deep cold/snow/easterly holy grail. Perhaps the fragmented memories of my 'winters of old' may prove to hold a potential pattern for the long drawn out saga this winter? Probably not, but am intrigued if this 'feels' like anyone else's memories of proper winters past, irrespective of the model 'facts' past and present? Anyway ramble over. I very much like this winter, lots of frost and dry - I'm a landscape gardener! 

• Like 4