Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted

Heavy showers just to the east of me once again. I bet they will develop into thunderstorms as they move northeast away from Manchester.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Load of rubbish here ,as you would expect 

I thought you you have caught something from the Irish sea. :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I can hear thunder, but it's also misty with low cloud. Strange combination. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Another Kent clipper said:

Those came out of nowhere.  I hope the sun breaks through and 'prepares' Manchester for bigger storms

The atmosphere is stabilising from the west through the day. Our chance has already gone east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I have no words. What is it with plumes this year. Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up. :-(

Posted
3 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

I have no words. What is it with plumes this year. Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up. :-(

I think plumes are overrated for our region. We got thunder twice last week under relatively cool conditions.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Yay!! I've had some overnight drizzle!! :nonono:

I see that the storms broke out much further north... I thought that the sky didn't look too promising.

Anyway, I hope everyone who managed to get some storms has enjoyed them.:D

But finally for today (unless an unexpected storm breaks out overhead), has anyone else noticed that this summer, thundery events seem to happen around the 21st to the 22nd of the month? ... We had that capping event (with so much promise - Yes I did get a small overhead storm) on the 21st of June, then again on the 22nd of July, and this event 22nd/23rd of August... So being as September is now often seen as an extension of summer... I wonder if anything will happen in a months time? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
5 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Morning @Chris.R :)

No need to apologise mate... I think it's just one of those years. :friends:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
3 minutes ago, karyo said:

I think plumes are overrated for our region. We got thunder twice last week under relatively cool conditions.

Yeah we have done better from PM diurnal heating setups in the last decade. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Police called 'a number of times' over thunderstorms that woke people across Darlington, County Durham and Teesside this morning

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/15489727.Did_you_hear_it__Police_called_about_thunderstorms_that_woke_people_across_the_region_this_morning/

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Police called 'a number of times' over thunderstorms that woke people across Darlington, County Durham and Teesside this morning

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/15489727.Did_you_hear_it__Police_called_about_thunderstorms_that_woke_people_across_the_region_this_morning/

They thought it was terrorism? lol

Posted
1 minute ago, karyo said:

They thought it was terrorism? lol

Some genuinely thought It was something more sinister yes

Must admit I wondered what the hell it was at first as well but once the lightning strike quickly followed it was clear what was coming and boy did it rain for a very short time

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Some genuinely thought It was something more sinister yes

Must admit I wondered what the hell it was at first as well but once the lightning strike quickly followed it was clear what was coming and boy did it rain for a very short time

It goes to show how rare thunderstorms are. When they happen people think it is a bomb or something. lol

Posted

It goes to show how rare thunderstorms are. When they happen people think it is a bomb or something. lol

It was the loudest I've heard here

I couldn't blame some for thinking it was a bomb or explosion the sound went on for a good 15 to 20 seconds

Posted

Torrential downpour in progress here with some thunder and lightning. Far from spectacular but it's the first overhead convection since May, and only the second day I've heard thunder this summer. 

Posted

Sounds like they were +CGs though and they are scary every time. I've had a few hit within 300 yards in the last few years and trust me you know about it when they do! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

Torrential downpour in progress here with some thunder and lightning. Far from spectacular but it's the first overhead convection since May, and only the second day I've heard thunder this summer. 

Part of the problem is all this low cloud, making it difficult to observe and fully appreciate a thunderstorm.

Posted

Part of the problem is all this low cloud, making it difficult to observe and fully appreciate a thunderstorm.

Yes, agreed. The lightning was not very visible. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

Yes, agreed. The lightning was not very visible. 

On the plus side, there are more storms to your west so you should see some more soon.

Posted
Just now, karyo said:

On the plus side, there are more storms to your west so you should see some more soon.

Funny you should mention that, dark clouds are moving back in and the rain/thunder seems to be picking up once more.