Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted

Charts indicating its looking on the changeable side for the next 7 days or so now - with average to slightly below average temps but nothing too extreme. Likely to deliver some wintry showers to most in this region I'd have thought especially Wednesday - better than we've seen for sure but nothing to write home about. 

Longer term - looks like it could either go extreme or stay on the mobile zonal side for the foreseeable as it stands. A long way off but looking good next week if the low sinks South and opens up a North Easterly - albeit again not really delivering earth shattering cold but still enough for some snowfall should it come off 

Edited by Matty88
  • Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Sussex Snowman said:

Not sure how accurate my weather station is as it’s not particularly expensive but having said that I’m pretty much slap bang under the -6, can’t remember my area ever being the coldest!

59C552E3-0301-4C5E-949F-965D9E9F0783.jpeg

Weird - it was below zero widely here at 10pm last night but by 7am this morning the frost had all but disappeared and the car was showing +3 - didn't even feel that cold! Strange how it goes sometimes 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Slow slow slow the front, preferably, merrily merrily merrily merrily, if it's snow you want to see 

Posted

Morning All,

Blooming chilly at 5:30 this morning, -4 in Southend, lots of ice scraping, before being able to drive, then the windscreen froze on the inside as I had the audacity to try and breath, stopped and scraped the inside of the window, before proceeding again. Almost missed my train, which predictably did not have any heating on.

Lets see what weather mother nature will bring for us this week...

Cheers

FC

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

The photos below were taken in Dorking town centre, on the morning of 8th December, 1981. Heavy rain turned to snow, during the morning rush hour and caused traffic chaos, throughout our region. The photos are from the Surrey County Weather Book and reproduced with the kind permission of co-Author, Ian Currie.

image.thumb.png.7deaa876059e863e0d3314c1fe3d7aef.png     image.thumb.png.be3503cb1fab85e639a16beaa60f6451.png

Below, is the archive chart for 00z 8th December, showing the wave that tracked SE, through Ireland, which was responsible for ushering in the Arctic conditions:

image.thumb.png.92064a207efc47e931b2c19fa2433190.png

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

The photos below were taken in Dorking town centre, on the morning of 8th December, 1981. Heavy rain turned to snow, during the morning rush hour and caused traffic chaos, throughout our region. The photos are from the Surrey County Weather Book and reproduced with the kind permission of co-Author, Ian Currie.

image.thumb.png.7deaa876059e863e0d3314c1fe3d7aef.png     image.thumb.png.be3503cb1fab85e639a16beaa60f6451.png

Below, is the archive chart for 00z 8th December, showing the wave that tracked SE, through Ireland, which was responsible for ushering in the Arctic conditions:

image.thumb.png.92064a207efc47e931b2c19fa2433190.png

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Morning Tom, thanks for that chart, I don't suppose who have ones that showed what the dew points were?

I'm guessing the reason why Northern France is looking to do best is because of the DPs, the Continental Influence and onshore winds etc?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

My mobile phone has the temperature at -2°C and outside there is a heavy frost. The frost is a lot heavier than showing in the photos that I took.

A Very Frosty Morning.jpeg

Heavy Frost 001.jpg

Edited by Katrine Basso
add more information
  • Like 1

Posted

For those snow starved people in Kent - I found this article with some great pics of the snow in 1987. Ah the memories ❄️

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/remembering-the-1987-whiteout-118663/

One of my fav pic has to be this one....

image.thumb.png.7d0d439c5059eea6033db9bd44b66c52.png

Though I love this one (not in article)

image.thumb.png.15c6300988aad60490514889eb11e5f4.png

Edited by CanadianCoops
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Hi KB,

Don't have any Dew Point charts but here another couple from that event.

The first depicting bitterly cold 850's waiting to flood south, which had been locked away to our North for a few weeks, waiting to burst south.

image.thumb.png.382c69153cd78f7582db2e4b85abacc7.png

The second chart below, depicts the Northern Hemispheric pattern at the time of the event with the PV totally displaced over to N.Europe/Russia/Siberia, etc. Some profile that, what we wouldn't give to see that type of set-up now!! 

image.thumb.png.0262692850680dcb7e41ed914214d58f.png

Regards,

Tom. 

• Like 6

Posted
9 minutes ago, CanadianCoops said:

image.thumb.png.15c6300988aad60490514889eb11e5f4.png

The good old days of proper weather graphics  Not like the modern fancy ones of today where you can't tell if it's cloud, fog or snow 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
10 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi KB,

Don't have any Dew Point charts but here another couple from that event.

The first depicting bitterly cold 850's waiting to flood south, which had been locked away to our North for a few weeks, waiting to burst south.

image.thumb.png.382c69153cd78f7582db2e4b85abacc7.png

The second chart below, depicts the Northern Hemispheric pattern at the time of the event with the PV totally displaced over to N.Europe/Russia/Siberia, etc. Some profile that, what we wouldn't give to see that type of set-up now!! 

image.thumb.png.0262692850680dcb7e41ed914214d58f.png

Regards,

Tom. 

Before the days the pv decided to relocate every winter,epic chart

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Kent Blizzard said:

The good old days of proper weather graphics  Not like the modern fancy ones of today where you can't tell if it's cloud, fog or snow 

I agree - I still mutter under my breath when watching a telly forecast 'stupid graphics'. Bring these back. Modern technology isn't always better.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, Sussex Snowman said:

Not sure how accurate my weather station is as it’s not particularly expensive but having said that I’m pretty much slap bang under the -6, can’t remember my area ever being the coldest!

59C552E3-0301-4C5E-949F-965D9E9F0783.jpeg

Looks pretty much spot-on SS. Here's the overnight mins from the 'official' stations around the East (courtesy of Dan Holley):

925009728_DanHolleyMins21Jan2019.thumb.jpg.e593503cf007c4c2b8baaa50138860f4.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
On 17/01/2019 at 16:44, Bogman said:

On one run.

Was only 2 runs showing heaven ☺️

Having the post this to get ride of it out of the reply box

Posted
Just now, steveinsussex said:

Jeez these charts are tedious

day 10 day 10 blah blah

It's beginning to feel very much like we've missed the boat....but I'll hold form til March 1 lol

Posted

The Euro4 really does pick out and show how Northern France look to fair best from this set-up ( From a Southern point of view ), At least those in Folkestone and Dover can look across the Channel and admire from a distance 

19012203_2100.gif

19012215_2100.gif

19012206_2100.gif

19012209_2100.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Morning, it’s been a very cold morning this morning, my car telling me -4 I can’t remember it being that temperature for a while. We went to RAF Hendon for my sons 7th Birthday. On the way home the temperatures just seemed to drop away. When we arrived home at around 19.00 it was already -1. I went outside to get some things from the car we had forgotten it was about 19.50 and there was ice already forming on the top of the car. :cold: 

I went over to the mod thread this morning and I can’t make out anything especially in the newer model/banter thread, they’re just going for it in there. I mainly go over there to see what models I can learn from.  I am so confused about this weather in the coming weeks, netweather is giving my area a huge chance of snow for next week now 28th (the day I need to take my bubba to hospital)  I know it’s a long way out still and shouldn’t panic but I have to be so careful with her in this weather. P.S I can’t get warm and I have to say I’m definitely missing being at home in the U.A.E

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Only -0.4C here, just now and quite sunny...Shame the 'laugh' reaction has gone again, as I wasn't aware of anyone trolling with it...

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Probably the hardest frost we’ve had in south London so far this winter, bare ground rock hard and grass all white with frost.

Still looks like we may see some snow falling from showers pushing down to our area on the cold NWly tomorrow afternoon, a trough bringing the showers well inland according to UKMet fax. Other than a few snow grains last week, will be the first time this winter perhaps to see some proper fat flakes!

22CE7DAA-7DE0-4CD0-973D-4951B0C6771A.thumb.png.769eafe89f328fdad5186b32c57e5e8e.pngACF4CA23-B978-43E1-B206-B7C0E9D59C92.thumb.gif.bae862e2f6473d5fd627e0102a04d2b2.gif

Think any snow may struggle to settle tomorrow at lower levels, with maxes of 3-4C forecast. Wednesday looks colder with maxes of 2-3C, but dry.

• Like 3

Posted
46 minutes ago, CanadianCoops said:

It's beginning to feel very much like we've missed the boat....but I'll hold form til March 1 lol

We didn't have our first frost till the first week of Feb last year after a really bland and wet January...4 weeks later - Beastie arrived!

It was disheartening though to see bloody models last week saying we'd be buried and frozen in a winter wonderland next week, but now the BBC saying unseasonable warmth by Friday. 

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, Isle of Harry said:

We didn't have our first frost till the first week of Feb last year after a really bland and wet January...4 weeks later - Beastie arrived!

It was disheartening though to see bloody models last week saying we'd be buried and frozen in a winter wonderland next week, but now the BBC saying unseasonable warmth by Friday. 

......and then it gets colder from late Saturday 

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 4

Posted

You know what, I have this feeling that somewhere in our Region will do well and it'll be somewhat unexpected and a surprise to some, I can't remember the year but it was a similar set-up, call it a touch of deja-vu 

...Of course the majority will be left raging as the freezing rain falls

• Like 2