Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

YOUR FAVOURITE ARCHIVED SYNOPTIC CHART

Tom Quintavalle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

This was yummy! and heralded a classic cold spell. I would sure have had fun if I had been around thenPosted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Brrr!Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Shades of January 87 for depth of cold and NSSC potentialPosted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tamara Road
  • Like 4

Guest William Grimsley

Even though this chart doesn't look impressive, 30 cm of snow fell 20/12/2010, here. This was the best snow I had ever seen. I will always remember 20/12/2010. Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by William Grimsley
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, winter snow.

Great to see this thread still active. Whoever gave it one star on the day it started........I was the second voter, and gave it five. Cancelled you out!

Here's another one I've remembered.

Posted Image

Easter Sunday 1983. Woke up that morning to a blanket of snow. Clothes on, and straight down the local playing fields! There were these four Aussie kids from my school, who'd only been in the country for a couple of weeks, already down there. The first time they'd ever seen snow, so they were having a whale of a time.

The sun was out by lunchtime, and the last patches of the white stuff had melted by late afternoon. But it was a great Easter Sunday nonetheless. (And we all know the type of summer which followed that late snowfall!)

• Like 3

Posted

Great to see this thread still active. Whoever gave it one star on the day it started........I was the second voter, and gave it five. Cancelled you out!

Here's another one I've remembered.

Posted Image

Easter Sunday 1983. Woke up that morning to a blanket of snow. Clothes on, and straight down the local playing fields! There were these four Aussie kids from my school, who'd only been in the country for a couple of weeks, already down there. The first time they'd ever seen snow, so they were having a whale of a time.

The sun was out by lunchtime, and the last patches of the white stuff had melted by late afternoon. But it was a great Easter Sunday nonetheless. (And we all know the type of summer which followed that late snowfall!)

I gave it the first starPosted Image but I would have given it 5 if I realised you were able to do that. I thought it was only one vote per personPosted Image  You must have only given it four, because I have just added the fifth...we are talking like kids aren't we...my dad is better than yours etc...Posted Image

Edited by Tamara Road
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

The daddy of them all for my corner of Dorset.

Posted Image

or how about this one for a real christmas snowstorm

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

I gave it the first starPosted Image but I would have given it 5 if I realised you were able to do that. I thought it was only one vote per personPosted Image  You must have only given it four, because I have just added the fifth...we are talking like kids aren't we...my dad is better than yours etc...Posted Image

Sorry Tamara, I didn't realise it was you. I thought it was someone saying they didn't think much of the topic. My apologies.

I think the way it works is that you simply give it a vote between one and five stars, depending on what you think of the topic. I'm sure it let me give five stars. (But I could be wrong!)

• Like 3

Guest William Grimsley

or how about this one for a real christmas snowstorm

Posted Image

Now, that's what you call a christmas snowstorm. Bitter cold and strong ENE winds. Posted Image

What a shame. I remember that happening on the evening 26/12/2010. The snow was melting to quickly that a trickle of water was coming off the porch roof, here.

Edited by William Grimsley
  • Like 1

Posted

Sorry Tamara, I didn't realise it was you. I thought it was someone saying they didn't think much of the topic. My apologies.

I think the way it works is that you simply give it a vote between one and five stars, depending on what you think of the topic. I'm sure it let me give five stars. (But I could be wrong!)

Its ok I was just being a minx and joking around anyway Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edit: I somewhere have a Surrey Book of Weather from when I lived up that way close to London once and in there is a good account of the 1927 Christmas blizzard. I wonder how that one would be forecast if it occured in this day and age because it was a tricky one to predict it seems and followed a prolonged period of rainfall and temperatures several degrees above freezing, but the rain gradually turned to sleet, wet snow and then finally by evening time a fully fledged blizzard in many SE regions which then lasted well into Boxing Day with very deep driftsPosted Image

Edited by Tamara Road
  • Like 2

Posted

What a shame. I remember that happening on the evening 26/12/2010. The snow was melting to quickly that a trickle of water was coming off the porch roof, here.

Your heart sinks a bit when you can see the snow isn't going to be able to survive, doesn't it? (When I was a child, I always felt like the little boy at the end of The Snowman when he sees his mate has melted!)

Its ok I was just being a minx and joking around anyway Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Phew! Thought my name was going to be mud on here for a while! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

As much as I like a bit of cold and snow during winter, it gets a bit tedious when you have no real warmth from mid September through til June like what happened in 2012/13.  For that reason I often book my holidays in late September -  somewhere warm like southern Italy.  It extends the summer out very nicely and is cool enough in Italy by then to do some coastal path walks!

During Sept 2011, I was about to suggest to my wife we booked a last minute deal somewhere warm, when I got wind of this little beauty on the horizon..

post-16496-0-76184200-1379181697_thumb.p

That big high pressure sat over Central Europe leaving us with direct southerlies all the way from Southern Spain.  For 5 days we were getting broadly the same temperatures as places like Malaga.  Phenomenal!

I said to my wife, forget Italy.  It's going to be 25C+ for best part of the week in the south.  After convincing her it was actually going to happen, we took our road trip.  Saved ourselves a packet and we had almost unbroken sunshine for about 5 days with temps in the low 20s on the coast.  Very respectable even in July!

Bring on another Indian summer I say.  I'll get my hat and gloves out around Bonfire Night Posted Image

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Your heart sinks a bit when you can see the snow isn't going to be able to survive, doesn't it? (When I was a child, I always felt like the little boy at the end of The Snowman when he sees his mate has melted!)

Phew! Thought my name was going to be mud on here for a while! 

Dont worry Anvils, that posh Sussex girl's a really tough critic! Posted Image One star, pfft! Just coz yer likes, exceed yer posts, Tams! Posted Image

An IMBY chart now from me, from Jan.2003.

8th JAN.2003.

Posted Image

Perhaps doesnt look much at face value but 6 hours later a convergence zone developed in the Thames Estuary and a snow streamer began around the Southend area and developed further WSW, towards N.W. Kent and S.E. London. Started snowing here, on the Kent/London border, around 7 a.m. and finally petered out in the early afternoon, depositing around 4 inches. Worst hit areas reported around 8/9 inches, between Southend and Dartford, also places with a bit of elevation over N.W.Kent.

Have newspaper cuttings and copies of synoptic/weather charts from most of the best wintry spells since 1962 and enjoy poring over them from time to time, very OCD, Oggling Charts Disorder!

Problem is they soon get in a mess and I have terrible trouble putting them back in chorologonic...cholonorogic,...chorogonic.....always had trouble saying that and cant even type it. Anyway, date order! Posted Image

Thanks for all your interesting contributions.

Tom.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

A lot of the real stonkers have been exhausted now so a slightly different tack, I have picked out some of the more obscure ones, not exceptional looking charts but ones that delivered for me personally, i will see if others can put picture personal memories of these first, or even pull me up and say that they were carp!

Posted Image

I think this was the one but not totally sure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

It might of been breezy but it hit 15c in Manchester on that day, fantastic for mid January. How I'd love that to happen this January.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

It might of been breezy but it hit 15c in Manchester on that day, fantastic for mid January. How I'd love that to happen this January.

Posted Image

I thought you only liked heat and long hours of daylight, Gaz? 15c, really?

Posted

Still racking my brains, trying to remember some more. And here's one.

IIRC, Crimbo '96 was supposed to deliver the goods..............Needless to say, it didn't. I said to people "OK, we wanted a White Christmas. But we didn't get it. A White New Year would be almost as good though."

Well.......it started snowing on the day before NYE. And I just about remember - through the haze of the years....and the alcohol that night -  a friend and I stumbling out of the pub at 2 in the morning, into snow that was even thicker than when we went in. (Mind you, this was the mid-90's. So "thick snow" meant about a quarter of an inch!)

Posted Image

Edited by Anvils in the Sky
  • Like 4

Posted

A lot of the real stonkers have been exhausted now so a slightly different tack, I have picked out some of the more obscure ones, not exceptional looking charts but ones that delivered for me personally, i will see if others can put picture personal memories of these first, or even pull me up and say that they were carp!

Posted Image

I think this was the one but not totally sure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have to be honest and say the first two dates have no implant on my memory at all. The third one, however, is a different kettle of fish. I was living/working in St Albans at the time, and the snow fell and fell overnight. We almost had to dig the car out in the morning. (Spoke to my mum, in Kent, that afternoon. And her response was "Snow? What snow? The garden is swimming under all the rain."

• Like 2

Posted

I have to be honest and say the first two dates have no implant on my memory at all. The third one, however, is a different kettle of fish. I was living/working in St Albans at the time, and the snow fell and fell overnight. We almost had to dig the car out in the morning. (Spoke to my mum, in Kent, that afternoon. And her response was "Snow? What snow? The garden is swimming under all the rain."

All of them West Midlands, the third one about 4 or 5 inches, the first 2 were 6+ inches falls, however, i may not have the exact dates right, i have tried matching them up to the PPN charts on wetter, i am sure they are not 100% accurate though, i am sure the second one of the charts i got pasted a day later but i have put them up for now to see if anyone else can put some more meat on the bones.

• Like 1

Posted

I thought you only liked heat and long hours of daylight, Gaz? 15c, really?

To me 15c feels much milder and better than 1c and snow

• Like 1

Posted

To me 15c feels much milder and better than 1c and snow

But is that really a favourite archive chart? With all the glorious summers available? If someone posted a dismal wet cold July chart and claimed it as an all-time favourite, I would question their motives, wouldn't you?
  • Like 2

Posted

But is that really a favourite archive chart? With all the glorious summers available? If someone posted a dismal wet cold July chart and claimed it as an all-time favourite, I would question their motives, wouldn't you?

For a Winter temperature it's about as good as it gets, so I'll take that, it was 15c here today so for January that is fine in my books Posted Image

Posted

And to add to that, what's the point of saying things like, 'oh its 2 oclock and the sun has just popped behind a cloud'!!!!, the forum is either to get the juices flowing by either reminiscing or mulling over current output, or to learn about the science.

• Like 1

Posted

Haha I guess some people forgot that I posted a glorious Summer 2005 chart on the previous page Posted Image

Posted

And to add to that, what's the point of saying things like, 'oh its 2 oclock and the sun has just popped behind a cloud'!!!!, the forum is either to get the juices flowing by either reminiscing or mulling over current output, or to learn about the science.

Agree, and on reflection, it's probably best to avoid indulging rather obvious attention-seeking. Anyway, this chart doesn't look like much with a low passing the far North but it delivered a beautiful clear crisp day in East Anglia:

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/reana/2005/archives-2005-11-12-12-0.png

Oh yeah, and I got married a couple of hours later. :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Have to admit for the time of year this was pretty special

Posted Image

Posted Image

Maximum of 29.9C at Gravesend in Kent, this spell broke temperature records for this period.

Edited by Captain shortwave