Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted

5 people dead in the state of Washington out of just 14 cases officially...hard to believe it isn't alot more numerous out there then they are claiming. Seems like the American govt is again behind the curve with this one and to have tested as few people as they have is an utter joke, one that is going to bite them hard I fear.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

5 people dead in the state of Washington out of just 14 cases officially...hard to believe it isn't alot more numerous out there then they are claiming. Seems like the American govt is again behind the curve with this one and to have tested as few people as they have is an utter joke, one that is going to bite them hard I fear.

Reports I can see say 6 dead in Washington?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
50 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

Yes, recent paper dated the genetic sequencing back to mid October and nothing to do with the wet market. How do they work that out, fascinating science and way beyond my comprehension.

That's when I think I had what I though was flu, still wondering if it might have been this, although the sore throat started in the last few days of September.

• Like 1

Posted
55 minutes ago, swebby said:

Yep, seen a few reports suggesting it could have been in the wild since November, another reason not to jump to what appears to be the obvious conclusion about it's geographical origin (Wuhan market). That will only be solved when/if they find the species that is the natural reservoir. It's gonna be bats, it's always bats!

It'll be mice this time. 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, kold weather said:

So far, 14,000 people have died and 250,000 people have been hospitalized during the2019-2020 flu season, in the US.

So, with these CV deaths in Washington, and flu stats i've quoted how much do people reckon health issues in the US are made worse by their lack of a national health service or a hybrid health service (like in France) and the need for Americans to buy health insurance?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Despite the natural tendency to worry about a new viral illness like this one, I really think people should put more faith in the body's natural defence systems.  Science hasn't come near to replicating the ability of the human body to fight off viruses and so far this coronavirus hasn't really given normal healthy people much to worry about.  If you're aged 0 - 50 and in reasonably good health you are extremely unlikely to die if you catch this virus - probably no more likely than if you had the flu.  If you are older and/or already suffering from some other debilitating illness then you probably have more reason to worry, but you have to catch it first and even then the chances of it being fatal are very small.  I admit that we don't need yet another nasty virus to do the rounds but unless it evolves into something much more deadly I believe we'll look back at this next year as the equivalent of just another bad flu epidemic.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

On a human level - my Mum in law has just finished her latest round of chemotherapy for Lymphoma. She's 86 but was treated intensively because for her age, her health was very good. Her response has actually been very good, with a full remission at the moment. Dad in law has poor respiratory health due to lifelong asthma. OH spoke to them this evening and they are very worried. Needlessly, yes, for the moment, but all the news buzz really gets to vulnerable people like them. My sister in law has told them that if things get bad, they should just stay in but going shopping and the independence that just going out in the car brings to them is very important and they can be very resistant. I love them so much, they are my substitute Mum and Dad (mine died many years ago) and this is the saddest part of events like this...

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 8

Posted

Make your own sanitiser

AgEXQUxJOWNtTXp0VFdDTzI3ZlExZHNOV0EAMA
APPLE.NEWS

Washing your hands frequently and thoroughly is the best way to protect yourself against the novel coronavirus. When you can't access warm water and soap, hand sanitizer is the next best...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
5 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Make your own sanitiser

AgEXQUxJOWNtTXp0VFdDTzI3ZlExZHNOV0EAMA
APPLE.NEWS

Washing your hands frequently and thoroughly is the best way to protect yourself against the novel coronavirus. When you can't access warm water and soap, hand sanitizer is the next best...

I studied essential oils as part of an aromatherapy degree 20 years ago. I worked in the hospital at the time and consultants eventually talked me out of the aromatherapy course into doing what they called a ”proper degree”.  However, as the years have passed essential oils are increasingly being shown to have antibacterial and antiviral properties.  I always have a supply of oils to use in and around the house for various things so will be getting them out the cupboard and mixing some up as air sprays.  They can also be mixed into carrier oils and creams.   

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5206475/

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Cassette aircon is ceiling mounted cassette like units, connected via ducts in an air handling unit scenario, in the school i work at we have different air handling units serving departments via ducting providing both fresh air and recycled air.

In a scenario like this whereby a virus is aerosolized it can easily stay in the airflow and travel through rooms.

Thanks very much for the explanation Paul. Much appreciated .

Posted

At the moment in France they’ve managed to identify the origin of the transmissions in 75% of cases .

The cluster in the Oise department is now being linked with further cases .

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

I studied essential oils as part of an aromatherapy degree 20 years ago. I worked in the hospital at the time and consultants eventually talked me out of the aromatherapy course into doing what they called a ”proper degree”.  However, as the years have passed essential oils are increasingly being shown to have antibacterial and antiviral properties.  I always have a supply of oils to use in and around the house for various things so will be getting them out the cupboard and mixing some up as air sprays.  They can also be mixed into carrier oils and creams.   

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5206475/

Problem with essential oils they cost an arm and a leg for a small bottle. Alcohol costs not much. Depends I suppose what you want to achieve. 

• Like 2

Guest Delete Me

Well this is pretty alarming if true,  might just be bad translation though:

#Iran's Deputy Health Minister:

• 12,000 tested #CoronaVirus positive in hospitals
  • Only 1 in 5 #COVID19 carriers come to hospital

Do the math. 12,000 x 5 = 60,000 infected

However, Iran's official numbers are: 66 dead 1,501 infected

Source: https://twitter.com/HeshmatAlavi/status/1234500027541852161?s=19

Edited by Delete Me

Posted
13 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Problem with essential oils they cost an arm and a leg for a small bottle. Alcohol costs not much. Depends I suppose what you want to achieve. 

Sorry meant to add I do use essential oils. Mainly Teatree and Lavender and Sandalwood.

• Like 2

Posted

YouGov polling doesn’t make great reading for the UK governments efforts to stop the spread of the virus .

Only 35% are taking some extra precautions like washing hands more frequently .

54% are taking no extra precautions .

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

YouGov polling doesn’t make great reading for the UK governments efforts to stop the spread of the virus .

They believe its just another flu. 

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

I don’t think it’s too much to ask of the public to take extra precautions . The government aren’t asking them to make big changes .

Just washing your hands more regularly , it’s not rocket science .

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Yep, woman serving me in Tesco this evening was chatting to her mate saying she didn't know what all the fuss was about and it was just flu.

Sadly the swine flu pandemic seems to have made people think this is another storm in a teacup.

No it won't be the worst case scenario, but it certainly won't be a walk in the park either...

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I don’t think it’s too much to ask of the public to take extra precautions . The government aren’t asking them to make big changes .

I don’t disagree but the practicalities of doing so when you are out and about are somewhat limiting. To use a hand sanitiser in these condition is reasonable but many will now find it almost impossible to buy now even if they were inclined to use it.

Likewise using a tissue and putting in a bin is difficult. Filling your pockets up with used tissues is no better than using an ordinary handkerchief.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

7 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I think they just look at the death rate and think 'Oh well, whats the difference between 0.5% and 4%? - still means it ain't gonna happen to me' but what they are forgetting is they are far more likely to catch it than flu, and also not enough is known about this to take chances with it, with Flu i am very sceceptable and vulnerable but i have had flu loads of times so despite probably being at risk from dying of flu, i kind of have experience of it, for instance i know how many painkillers i can get away with, i know you shouldn't overdose but i do, where as with this who knows, i might take 10 ibuprofen and 10 paracetamol in a day with this and the illness may have already weakened my liver so much, the painkillers might be the final nail in the coffin where as with flu i know i can get away with it.

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Yep I agree, but you can not force people to listen, the info is out there. People will soon change if we end up like North Italy, although I hope that doesn't happen. 

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I think they just look at the death rate and think 'Oh well, whats the difference between 0.5% and 4%? - still means it ain't gonna happen to me' but what they are forgetting is they are far more likely to catch it than flu, and also not enough is known about this to take chances with it, with Flu i am very sceceptable and vulnerable but i have had flu loads of times so despite probably being at risk from dying of flu, i kind of have experience of it, for instance i know how many painkillers i can get away with, i know you shouldn't overdose but i do, where as with this who knows, i might take 10 ibuprofen and 10 paracetamol in a day with this and the illness may have already weakened my liver so much, the painkillers might be the final nail in the coffin where as with flu i know i can get away with it.

Good points .

If this was just a different flu strain but one that has been circulating for years then some will already have immunity. 

Those strains tend to behave in a similar fashion and we know the approx mortality rate .

So it’s the unknown factor that’s really the big issue . 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Good points .

If this was just a different flu strain but one that has been circulating for years then some will already have immunity. 

Those strains tend to behave in a similar fashion and we know the approx mortality rate .

So it’s the unknown factor that’s really the big issue . 

Yes, because although the mortality rate is still low amongst young people, it looks to me to be higher than flu, the usual winter flu's do not generally  kill fully healthy 29 year olds, coronavirus is doing just that, why? is it something specific in their genetic make up, if you don't care and don't take precautions about being infected and you are healthy and young in a normal UK winter, then you are not in my opinion playing Russian roulette, now with coronavirus, you are playing Russian roulette, the goalposts have moved.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 4