Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion 17/06/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted

We made it on the News   

_116277111_eqtoifuxiaaos-d.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

People in Staffordshire are urged to only drive if their journeys are essential.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

Raw, cold, dull and not a trace of snow on the ground. Surely its our turn tonight and tomorrow? Unbelievable the way that band just skipped over us and then had almost nothing left when it moved back. 

Will keep north shropshire in my prayers for ya  Hopefully you can get a covering , its an annoying spot shrewsbury (I love the town though, brilliant place) so much that its fairly low lying and got the shropshire hills that absorb most of the orographic precip before it reaches you.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

Raw, cold, dull and not a trace of snow on the ground. Surely its our turn tonight and tomorrow? Unbelievable the way that band just skipped over us and then had almost nothing left when it moved back. 

It's always the way in shrewsbury.

Thunderstorms  and snow normally misses  shrewsbury.

But I will say we had good thunderstorms this year. Just need the snow now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

Will keep north shropshire in my prayers for ya  Hopefully you can get a covering , its an annoying spot shrewsbury (I love the town though, brilliant place) so much that its fairly low lying and got the shropshire hills that absorb most of the orographic precip before it reaches you.

12 Mar 2006 though? dumping Shrews, and missed here

Posted
2 minutes ago, Matty23 said:

It's always the way in shrewsbury.

Thunderstorms  and snow normally misses  shrewsbury.

But I will say we had good thunderstorms this year. Just need the snow now

Yes more storms this year than the previous 3 years put together! Not expecting a Dec 2017 repeat, just an inch or two would do. Anything but having nothing while 20 miles away they are covered. Looking at the cameras the cover stops at the Wrekin, ****-take!

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

12 Mar 2006 though? dumping Shrews, and missed here

True, i wonder if you compared the midlands though and which areas get most lying snow days on average. There must be some record of it somewhere?

Posted

We did have a good dumping from a streamer 3 ish years ago now I think. But most of the time we are very unlucky. Alot of the weather seems to skip over us or around us and gets worst to the east. Shrewsbury is in a low area surrounded by hills and that seems to have a massive effect on us here. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

True, i wonder if you compared the midlands though and which areas get most lying snow days on average. There must be some record of it somewhere?

W Midlands I would have thought? only counting lowish levels, around B'ham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

struggling to work out where the precip is likely to come in from? Does not likely today for my neck of the woods. Models at short range are not suggesting anything either.  Keeping the dream alive and hoping something totally random pops up later.  

Nice snow photos from across the mids today though 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Matty23 said:

We did have a good dumping from a streamer 3 ish years ago now I think. But most of the time we are very unlucky. Alot of the weather seems to skip over us or around us and gets worst to the east. Shrewsbury is in a low area surrounded by hills and that seems to have a massive effect on us here. 

8th Dec 2017, NNW wind for Shrewsbury, missed out on that, but made up 2 days later

Posted
2 minutes ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

I read a Regional Climates of the British Isles series of articles online a while back, it said Worcestershire on average gets the least in the Midlands (not today though!). Shropshire gets the least sunshine, which is certainly my experience.

Its not a height thing the Shrewsbury weather effect, I've said it for years. Bridgnorth and Worcester got snow, lower down the Severn valley. Higher areas west of me got nothing. I'm 95m asl so do do often get more snow than town when its a height-marginal setup. Occasionally we do get lucky with snow, 12 March 2006 and Dec 2017 great examples. Its a land of weird micro climates. Snow, rain, thunder, cloud, fog. Temperatures too (cold Shawbury on clear nights). Often totally different weather somewhere like Ellesmere or Whitchurch compared to Shrewsbury, no major hills in between.

There's a lot of different rock and soil types around here, which I didn't really appreciate till the lock downs when I started finding more and more places to walk. I wonder if they have an effect.

Posted

means very little but bbc video for Wednesday! snow for whole region, optimistic expect that to be  a S event @sheikhy, better post in here not model thread

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

means very little but bbc video for Wednesday! snow for whole region, optimistic expect that to be  a S event @sheikhy, better post in here not model thread

Yeh latest ecm 06z a beaut for the whole region!!!!gives snow throughout the region!!!!and heavy as well!!

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, B-C said:

struggling to work out where the precip is likely to come in from? Does not likely today for my neck of the woods. Models at short range are not suggesting anything either.  Keeping the dream alive and hoping something totally random pops up later.  

Nice snow photos from across the mids today though 

Look east or north east for the foreseeable.  Also a threat of fronts trying to encroach from the south.

We all have a dream...anyway

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Similar to 00z Blue? ECM seems much further north than most models but Met office are obviously taking it seriously as it matches their warning

47D4AFF3-3F0C-47D2-B8B0-F17A923333FD.jpeg

Hi tim you got any charts for tonight and tomorrow mornings snowfall!yesterdays 12z had it coming through the wash and central midlands!has that changed now?

Posted
16 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Look east or north east for the foreseeable.  Also a threat of fronts trying to encroach from the south.

We all have a dream...anyway

Yeah, looking just now can see some activity NE (North sea coast)..  There will be chances all week for the whole mids hopefully so back to being patient.  I will no doubt consult the radar again later! 

Posted
19 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Yeh latest ecm 06z a beaut for the whole region!!!!gives snow throughout the region!!!!and heavy as well!!

Is that later in the week?  Good to see the cold all the way into early January for now. ❄️

Posted
4 minutes ago, B-C said:

Is that later in the week?  Good to see the cold all the way into early January for now. ❄️

Wednesday, but not all models on board, GFS certainly not