Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Unexpected Snow

cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
2 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

There was another day in Jan 2021 when hours of torrential rain at about 10C suddenly became settling snow, it was about the 21st? A few days before the main event on the 24-25th anyway, it must have been the time the cold air for that one arrived.

That was Storm Christoph, had one of the sharpest cold fronts i've seen in a quite a few years across the UK during winter. Went from 9C to 2C in about 15 mins and some snow starting falling. Only settled further north and west of here.

However I do remember it being forecast rather than being unexpected. Just ended up with deeper snow than expected to those areas further north of here.

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Metwatch said:

That was Storm Christoph, had one of the sharpest cold fronts i've seen in a quite a few years across the UK during winter. Went from 9C to 2C in about 15 mins and some snow starting falling. Only settled further north and west of here.

However I do remember it being forecast rather than being unexpected. Just ended up with deeper snow than expected to those areas further north of here.

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

19 February last year was unexpected. Heavy snow thanks to evaporative cooling. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

This was decent here too, Storm Arwen much better mind you

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
8 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

There was another day in Jan 2021 when hours of torrential rain at about 10C suddenly became settling snow, it was about the 21st? A few days before the main event on the 24-25th anyway, it must have been the time the cold air for that one arrived. 

Also the surprise 2cm covering from a few Cheshire Gap showers on 22-23 Jan 2019, the only snow here that winter

Do you know how Shrewsbury faired during the Midlands snow storm in December 1990?  

Posted

The aftermath of Storm Arwen surprised me. A few cms of snow fell for quite a few hours on the Sunday morning. Didn't expect it given how mild things had been up to that point. Must have scooped in some cold arctic uppers.

Christmas Day 2010, our last proper white christmas. A band of light snow fell between half 10 to 12, giving an inch of powder snow. Came from a trough feature that was forecast to affect Southern Scotland, indeed none of the forecasts barely made anything out of it. I did not expect any snow that day.