Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

One of the better days of what has been an uninspiring summer so far. 21c max at Glasgow airport under cloudless blue sky. Some more decent days to come with temperatures around the mid 20s in some parts of the country. 

As for what the models are showing for next weekend in southern England it’s not often I’d say I’d be glad if we are more than 20c cooler. The GFS has produced back to back runs of widespread 40C+ temperatures and highs of 43C (and 44C on the latest run) in southern England. It’s unlikely to verify but it’s looking increasingly likely there’ll be extremely hot and potentially record breaking temperatures. It seems highly likely that Scotland will miss out on the plume but could still see temperatures in the low-mid twenties in southern and eastern areas. I do wonder what sort of temperatures Scotland could see if we ever got a direct hit from a plume of this potency. 

Edited by A Winter's Tale
  • Like 4

Posted

Grey and warm.  The former is normal for here and the latter is not often used, but to be able to use both makes this one of the more memorable days of weather.  Max of 21.5c with light winds.

Echt show on today, good to get the shows back after two years.

https://www.facebook.com/1375827122747302/posts/pfbid02VLom8GLy21oDwZPsMbHgcy7K9sdXJkPi8jcxD6nFmYWycjkodxkSi8LMvbBsp1B4l/

• Like 2

Posted

Fabulous hay day yesterday with a big batch for us all baled and set up by 7.00pm.Half carted in by 10.00pm and with a good overnight forecast left rest out . Took in this morning. Fine smell. 20220708_192109.thumb.jpg.2cb8f286375ab820d4be03365cde15e6.jpg

More warmth and wind today but cloudy .Next batch of hay turned after only cut three days ago.Me scarifying neeps . Got three  different gemination  dates in them due to lack of rain reaching seed but finally all have emerged, Won"t be a record breaking crop. Across Europe and SE UK  drought is taking hold with many crops dying off early N Italy seems to be worst. Food supplies this autumn /winter could be a real issue especially if next weekends record breaking heat appears. Surely someone in government is being briefed on this extreme weather forecast.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

What government NL? Wee problem there, that we haven't got one. Nicola will do her best but her powers are limited.

ROASTING hot down here, I've been inside on the recliner in front of a fan all day. Oot in car yesterday down to Yetholm for a pub lunch.

Puffy am glad you and your lungs have decided to behave

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A bit more cloud about today but still some bright intervals and warm with a max of 23.5C. Up a notch tomorrow probably?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Fabulous hay day yesterday with a big batch for us all baled and set up by 7.00pm.Half carted in by 10.00pm and with a good overnight forecast left rest out . Took in this morning. Fine smell. 20220708_192109.thumb.jpg.2cb8f286375ab820d4be03365cde15e6.jpg

More warmth and wind today but cloudy .Next batch of hay turned after only cut three days ago.Me scarifying neeps . Got three  different gemination  dates in them due to lack of rain reaching seed but finally all have emerged, Won"t be a record breaking crop. Across Europe and SE UK  drought is taking hold with many crops dying off early N Italy seems to be worst. Food supplies this autumn /winter could be a real issue especially if next weekends record breaking heat appears. Surely someone in government is being briefed on this extreme weather forecast.

Yes, you are right about the drought and extreme heat in Northern Italy. One of the news channels  from Italian side we have access to over here shows Verona and Southern Dolomites  burnt to a cinder with little crop production,  including wine plantation wiltering . Not sure what governments can do. Drought conditions over mainland Europe seem to be pushing NW.

C

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Yes, you are right about the drought and extreme heat in Northern Italy. One of the news channels  from Italian side we have access to over here shows Verona and Southern Dolomites  burnt to a cinder with little crop production,  including wine plantation wiltering . Not sure what governments can do. Drought conditions over mainland Europe seem to be pushing NW.

C

Governments at the very least should inform the public that there may not be the choice or surplus of food that everyone is used to.

• Like 4

Posted

A high of 19.9°C, so still stuck at only three 20°C+ days this year. Cloud cleared suddenly at 12.30pm and then we had this to enjoy:

PXL_20220709_125534633.MP.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Hi all @Puffy MacCloudglad your temp has come down hope you continue to improve.

We've driven up as far as Keiss (between Wick and John O Groats), spending two nights here then ferry to Orkney on Monday. 

Drove up with blue sky and heat, had a wander around at Killekrankie got here around 6.00 to grey skies. Now it's blowing a gale, raining and all looks very bleak (luckily I like bleak). It's also weirdly similar to the countryside around Lands End in Cornwall but the sea is the wrong colour (grey rather than turquoise). 

Looking forward to exploring tomorrow. 

FB_IMG_1657403411232.jpg

FB_IMG_1657403719467.jpg

Edited by snowidea
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Just to add winter barley harvest has started in odd fields on both sides of the Firth a record early date  up  here by some margin of around 10 days.  For a grumpy old git like me this makes it feel more like autumn and summers over.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
3 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Just to add winter barley harvest has started in odd fields on both sides of the Firth a record early date  up  here by some margin of around 10 days.  For a grumpy old git like me this makes it feel more like autumn and summers over.

A few combines being 'dusted' off on the Wolds now! Seems a tad early but with the ongoing forecast i can't see a lot of driers being used, which will save diesel costs?!

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Governments at the very least should inform the public that there may not be the choice or surplus of food that everyone is used to.

Already shortages / empty shelves in Dutch and Norwegian supermarkets Political decisions made by their governments not helping

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

A few combines being 'dusted' off on the Wolds now! Seems a tad early but with the ongoing forecast i can't see a lot of driers being used, which will save diesel costs?!

Saving in diesel but at the cost of lower yields due to shortened grain filling  period.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
5 hours ago, A Winter's Tale said:

I do wonder what sort of temperatures Scotland could see if we ever got a direct hit from a plume of this potency. 

You might not be wondering for long  Shocked Oh My God GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt INSANITY

thats the +20C 850s close to getting up here and 27C 850s South East gfs-1-192.png?18 192-7UK.GIF?10-18

• Like 6

Posted

22c at 11am, it's going to be a record breaker (for this year at least) if the temperature keeps rising at this rate.  Just a few areas of high cloud in an otherwise brilliant blue sky.

• Like 3

Posted

The ?? selections from the 06zs there are much more that would be sweltering too, these are just more unusual level of heat gens-5-0-162.thumb.png.9ff72fd653bd90659002ab11cc81ef1b.pnggens-7-0-180.thumb.png.86ab370026fd5b647f8dd2a3b88396d5.pnggens-17-0-192.thumb.png.862acaa7464d96eeb759f859a646e790.pnggens-21-0-192.thumb.png.912d0eb3e4f4861185da5487fb9f4a0d.pnggens-27-0-192.thumb.png.2ff8ac32a10f92355f3476c8aaec5c44.png

• Like 4

Posted
17 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

The ?? selections from the 06zs there are much more that would be sweltering too, these are just more unusual level of heat gens-5-0-162.thumb.png.9ff72fd653bd90659002ab11cc81ef1b.pnggens-7-0-180.thumb.png.86ab370026fd5b647f8dd2a3b88396d5.pnggens-17-0-192.thumb.png.862acaa7464d96eeb759f859a646e790.pnggens-21-0-192.thumb.png.912d0eb3e4f4861185da5487fb9f4a0d.pnggens-27-0-192.thumb.png.2ff8ac32a10f92355f3476c8aaec5c44.png

I might be reading everything wrong please correct me but doesn't seem to be much of a Thundery breakdown with this heat which is likely to build that what's more remarkable. Clear and blue here a slight breeze but a crackerjack of a day

• Like 3

Posted

Perfect blue skies and barely a breeze here too with the pickup showing a (probably slightly optimistic) 27 degrees at midday. 

I had a busy day of jobs planned but life's too short - sacked them off and went swimming with the dog. Your new friend looks and sounds great MairSnaw. 

IMG_20220710_130808_852.jpg

Edited by Snowandrocks
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

A cracking summers day, 26c according to my thermometer. 

Haylage got turned today and now off to the beach with the dogs to cool off. GF is away paddleboarding, what a weekend.

Don’t need any hotter, next weekend is creeping up on the GFS (25-27c). Nothing like down south though

7EE271FA-5CBC-4EA6-B638-E03714960A34.jpeg

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 5

Posted

That ICON 12z is a scorcher and has more of a Western and Northern extent, 20c 850s flirting with Southern Scotland. Surely be pushing 30c with that set up, I’m sure this run won’t be missed by @Kirkcaldy Weather 

64398D63-E2B6-4FB7-B61C-A0D905F71ACB.jpeg

Great night for a BBQ

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 4

Posted

23.8C at 5pm. Scorcher.

PXL_20220710_135205563.jpg

PXL_20220710_132347017.jpg

And you're right @SW Saltire - BBQ later, with the chicken that's been marinating in this bad boy since 8am:

81gl6Ze6QIL._AC_SY741_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
4 hours ago, NUT said:

I might be reading everything wrong please correct me but doesn't seem to be much of a Thundery breakdown with this heat which is likely to build that what's more remarkable. Clear and blue here a slight breeze but a crackerjack of a day

I expect with the cut off low being in play there very well could be thundery activity though I don't think the models will be able to pick up any features (troughs etc) possibly until the latter part of this coming week.

50 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

That ICON 12z is a scorcher and has more of a Western and Northern extent, 20c 850s flirting with Southern Scotland. Surely be pushing 30c with that set up, I’m sure this run won’t be missed by @Kirkcaldy Weather 

yes more than an eyebrow raiser that and the GFS 12z well that's +19C 850s into the forth James Earl Jones Reaction GIF  204-7UK.GIF?10-12 gfs-1-204.png?12

• Like 5

Posted
46 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I expect with the cut off low being in play there very well could be thundery activity though I don't think the models will be able to pick up any features (troughs etc) possibly until the latter part of this coming week.

yes more than an eyebrow raiser that and the GFS 12z well that's +19C 850s into the forth James Earl Jones Reaction GIF  204-7UK.GIF?10-12 gfs-1-204.png?12

The magical 20c 850s covering me. Wonder what surface temps we’d get with that…

Anyway it’s one ICON run so a firm outside bet but one to watch and within the realms of possibility

EDIT: GFS at it too. I spy a 28c for me next Monday, a couple 29s elsewhere in Scotland. Hmmm…

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 1

Posted

Another fine day with a maximum of 24c this afternoon with clear blue skies. Been scarifying neeps Next batch of hay should be ready tomorrow.

Fine views across the Firth in the late afternoon with a bit of sea fog moving in  from the North Sea. 20220710_165520.thumb.jpg.5d2e5999e66ce3905f7b1a1889ea9d4f.jpg

• Like 4