Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
4 hours ago, mardatha said:

Wish we could get some WARMTH!!!🥶😭

Yes very cool today in spite of some afternoon sunshine Maximum of 9c with moderate NE wind off the Firth.  

Growth in fields very slow with a lot pale greens on the trees coming into leaf and some yellows in emerged spring barley all sorted easily by a rise in temperature 

• Like 4

Posted

Cows and calves to fresh field of grass this evening Saw first swallow this evening too  about 2 weeks later than usual.Could contain: Countryside, Field, Nature, Outdoors, Pasture, Rural, Grassland, Ranch, Grazing, Cow

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Like most others on here I’m in search of some warmth! The near constant easterly influence this spring has been a total pain. More of the same again today. At least next week the winds look like being more westerly! 

• Like 5

Posted

Bit of deja-vu like yesterday mostly cloudy but some sun has broken through at times quite warm too. Difference with today compared to yesterday was had a little rain earlier that's obviously gone

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Yesterday was nothing special, cloudy and fairly cool. 

Far better today, the sun has broken through since 2pm. The apple trees and Rhododendren tree are in full bloom. 

A lovely warm afternoon with the temperature sitting close to the max of 19.6c. 

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

Yesterday was nothing special, cloudy and fairly cool. 

Far better today, the sun has broken through since 2pm. The apple trees and Rhododendren tree are in full bloom. 

A lovely warm afternoon with the temperature sitting close to the max of 19.6c. 

As ever, very much the same as ten miles over the hill, though sun was earlier to break through.

Bit uncertain as to whatever this weekend has in store.  Not sure what we’ve done to be on the naughty step, but Scotland doesn’t even get a mention on latest forecast.  Set-up looks favourable for a SE’ly foehn again in the NW, but what do I know?  How’s about 22 next few days, or am I being a right Carolean?

Edited by dryfie
Days mixed up
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Miracle, got the grass cut after work this evening. Still wasn't what I'd call warm but the grass was dry so went for it. 

• Like 3

Posted

@Northernlights - Just near Annan I saw on of the dairy farms had got their first cut in. I assume they’ll aim for 5, cows will have been in all winter. 
Still feel this is quite early even for those farms that get so many cuts. 
A sure sign that summer is around the corner! 

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

@Northernlights - Just near Annan I saw on of the dairy farms had got their first cut in. I assume they’ll aim for 5, cows will have been in all winter. 
Still feel this is quite early even for those farms that get so many cuts. 
A sure sign that summer is around the corner! 

Much longer growing season than us all the north and east winds in spring really hold us back but the west in the lee of high ground benefits in spring.Our  neighbour just across burn valley and a bit higher up than us putting  cattle out tonight for first time along with feeders full of round bale silage. Midsummer usually to dry here for multiple cuts but yes it seems early to be making silage even with  the influence of the Gulf Stream. Still only a solitary swallow here and no swifts yet

• Like 4

Posted

Brighter today but winds picked up got a bite to it actually feeling nippy 

• Like 2

Posted

Fine sunny breezy afternoon not all that warm at 11c with  SE wind making it feel cool. The cool spring has kept the daffodils flowering for 3 months with plenty left in cool   spots still going for May. Could contain: Grass, Plant, Daffodil, Flower, Grassland, Outdoors, Lawn, Building, Wall, Petal

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
On 03/05/2023 at 08:32, Hawesy said:

Like most others on here I’m in search of some warmth! The near constant easterly influence this spring has been a total pain. More of the same again today. At least next week the winds look like being more westerly! 

Let's hope for that westerly as the nagging East wind has well outstayed it's welcome. Around 7C when I got home from work and felt perishing in a strong breeze. Currently 4.9C, which is more winter than spring like, even overnight. 

Glad I'm heading south to visit family in the central belt this weekend as its forecast mid teens there. That will feel positively tropical compared to what Aberdeenshire has been like for weeks now, with very few exceptions. 

• Like 4

Posted
5 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Let's hope for that westerly as the nagging East wind has well outstayed it's welcome. Around 7C when I got home from work and felt perishing in a strong breeze. Currently 4.9C, which is more winter than spring like, even overnight. 

Glad I'm heading south to visit family in the central belt this weekend as its forecast mid teens there. That will feel positively tropical compared to what Aberdeenshire has been like for weeks now, with very few exceptions. 

Remember the last year I was at Agri College in Aberdeen going back after Easter hols in the mid seventies in mid April to see Aberdeenshire countryside still brown and not green like it was here. Aberdeenshire was always cold especially in the spring. This made their harvests late too with a common sight of seeing wheat and oats cut wet in October.  The grain would sit in mini mountains in the cart after coming out of the combine with lots of choking happening too. 

I had a grumpy old dairy farmer neighbour at the time who was complaining about the lack of grass growth that spring   .I told him to take a run through Aberdeenshire as he could then see that here was like the Garden of Eden with at least green fields.  That put a lid on the complaining for a while.

At least nothing changes in the climate of Aberdeenshire over 50 years so there is the positive take on it.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Horrible week here... we've all had Covid again, wife really unwell.. the weathers been a bit up n down.. couple of ok days but nothing to stop me lighting the stove daily. Organised a local lad to deliver more supplies and was due here today at 4pm.. 6pm a message "sorry cant do it now as all sold out"... so now im left with just 6 logs to burn and no other supplier locally wants to be bothered to come out for 1 cube of hardwood...and i would rather freeze to death than pay a supermarket £8 for a bag of bits that wouldnt last an hour..

Anyways enough of my crying.. happy bank holiday weekend everybody..

• Like 6

Posted

What a awful day of persistent light rain/drizzle and cool temperatures (max of 8c, which is the current temperature - bizarrely the temperature has gradually risen all day).

The calm conditions allowing extensive fog...

Could contain: Field, Grassland, Nature, Outdoors, Pasture, Savanna, Grass, Landscape, Scenery, Land

As the neighbour "kindly" pointed out, less than 7 weeks to the longest day and we've still got this wintery crud to deal with ☹️

• Like 5

Posted

The grim reading on here continues (for us east coasters) with yesterday haar-filled and the temperature sitting at 8c/9c throughout. Looks like more of the same today. We’ll need to wait until Monday for the switch to westerly winds which could not be more welcome! 

• Like 4

Posted

As others have said this easterly muck can do one! Endless thick haar for days and chilly with it! 

• Like 3

Posted

Just back from a few days in Paris - 24C and sunny. I have the start of a tan. Was lovely yesterday at 17C in the Borders, but looks interesting today with 40% thunder storm chance across Borders/E Lothian according to estofex. Likely to get wet this afternoon then! Plan to take dog walk in Peebles and go to the garden centre for the first of the season's bedding plants. Not missing anything else am I?  

• Like 6

Posted

Can’t relate to our members in the East and not sorry about it 😆

First day of the year I would describe as ‘warm and humid’. Currently just shy of 17c, feels like it might rain but also might turn very sunny. Largely cloudy currently 

Could contain: Countryside, Farm, Field, Nature, Outdoors, Pasture, Rural, Cow, Grassland, Ranch

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Constant brief heavy showers and thunder here. Getting warmer now 15.5c

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Wrf and ukv were bullseying these storms from yesterday's early outputs 👌 

First rumbles from the one to my east around Methil / Leven that should be heading to @Norrance anyone east and along that secondary line will be seeing further cells developing into tonight Screenshot-20230506-160843-Chrome.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

A storm might help clear the fog that has persisted all day here.

Touch warmer at 10c with calm conditions and some bursts of heavy rain (amidst the fog) first thing.

• Like 3

Posted
39 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Wrf and ukv were bullseying these storms from yesterday's early outputs 👌 

First rumbles from the one to my east around Methil / Leven that should be heading to @Norrance anyone east and along that secondary line will be seeing further cells developing into tonight Screenshot-20230506-160843-Chrome.jpg

Anything to break the tedium. 😃 Thick haar and 9c. I see it’s a pleasant 18c in Aviemore 😊

• Like 4