Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Colder weather inbound - bringing the threat of snow and ice with it

Posted

Would say there is potential for 10-15 cm snowfalls on higher ground south of London on Sunday night into Monday, likely a rain-snow mix developing over much of greater London, sleety mixtures around the southeast coast. Around the North Downs it could be mostly snow and enough moisture to produce 10-15 cm. Rather marginal uppers but the precip does start at night which can get things started as snow in some marginal setups. Urban heat island of London is a negative factor. Some snow could extend further north especially on hills. On the track this low is taking, only southeast England is at much risk of snow (I know, opportunity for snow) from it. Any slight improvement in the uppers closer to the event could turn it into a more widespread snowfall disrupting morning commutes around London though.

• Thanks 1

Posted

As the low approaches, noting 0-1 C dew points at some locations around London, Charlwood -0.4 C. Higher locations are almost bound to see snow overnight, mixtures around the elevation of Gatwick airport and down to Croydon possibly, cold rain or sleet in central London and more mixtures on hills north of London. It's a nicely developed low in the Channel but not quite the depth of cold air required for an all-out snowstorm, even so, could produce in some spots. Getting into Kent later, snow probably most likely on hilltops only. But could mix towards end of event, melting snow may be falling as it pulls away. 

(disclaimer to those not in the know, I am not part of the net-weather forecast team, these are strictly my opinions)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
6 minutes ago, Roger J Smith said:

As the low approaches, noting 0-1 C dew points at some locations around London, Charlwood -0.4 C. Higher locations are almost bound to see snow overnight, mixtures around the elevation of Gatwick airport and down to Croydon possibly, cold rain or sleet in central London and more mixtures on hills north of London. It's a nicely developed low in the Channel but not quite the depth of cold air required for an all-out snowstorm, even so, could produce in some spots. Getting into Kent later, snow probably most likely on hilltops only. But could mix towards end of event, melting snow may be falling as it pulls away. 

(disclaimer to those not in the know, I am not part of the net-weather forecast team, these are strictly my opinions)

Any hope for us snow starved northeners? 😉

Edited by Wold Topper