Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Finding the days with the lowest recorded relative humidity in the British Isles

Metwatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

I've had a screenshot from an article which shows the lowest RH values up to June 2001 for a number of years, and I was wondering if anymore could be found. The majority of these seem to happen in April / May, during a light easterly wind with high pressure closeby.

For most of this century I haven't found any data and I was curious if anyone, especially those who record weather, knows their lowest humidity reading in either this century or since they began taking measurements.

2 examples I can think of this decade are 19th July 2022, the hottest day on record with RH dropping to around 15-13% in Lincolnshire and April 5th 2021; a very cold and dry northerly which brought RH to around 25% for parts of central southern England.

lowest RH Uk records.PNG

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
On 03/11/2023 at 18:28, Metwatch said:

I've had a screenshot from an article which shows the lowest RH values up to June 2001 for a number of years, and I was wondering if anymore could be found. The majority of these seem to happen in April / May, during a light easterly wind with high pressure closeby.

For most of this century I haven't found any data and I was curious if anyone, especially those who record weather, knows their lowest humidity reading in either this century or since they began taking measurements.

2 examples I can think of this decade are 19th July 2022, the hottest day on record with RH dropping to around 15-13% in Lincolnshire and April 5th 2021; a very cold and dry northerly which brought RH to around 25% for parts of central southern England.

lowest RH Uk records.PNG

Great idea for a thread, I hope it eventually gets fulfilled.

I was curious to see the chart for 24th May 1901, so here it is...

image.thumb.png.687f705549e6cbb7bb0360d359d2eafc.pngimage.thumb.png.ed1f36b45aa30ce650019c424fc88b29.png

Edit: Here's that more recent one in June 2000...

image.thumb.png.e2b5da31c706407edd2fa0f715d24164.pngimage.thumb.png.36c2b6419502f19249da29e258c499cb.png

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Ah I was going to add another date to this today, that's the 17th of February where 7% humidity was seen on Great Dun Fell, not sure how reliable that is, but is mentioned on the Trevor Harley site.

image.thumb.png.8d0fd2ef69e3815db1d1f558eb7673cc.png

The setup does show an anticyclone just to the east of the UK, so perhaps with the inversion subsiding beneath the fell top it may have been possible, but 7% is seriously low!

CFSR_1_2003021712_1.thumb.png.3a91d5c022640bdacde0f33cacf8e4af.png

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1

Posted
On 03/11/2023 at 18:28, Metwatch said:

lowest RH Uk records.PNG

I have seen a report in the Guardian of 12th April 1990 saying the lowest humidity  recorded in the UK was 6% recorded at Glasgow in 1984.

Annoyingly no specific date was given

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

2nd March 2011. Great Dun Fell had a RH of 6%

Screenshot2023-12-11at17_21_51.thumb.png.5a353f6323804f94d3839de1e945b810.png

• Insightful 2