Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Optical phenomena galore.

Posted

Hmm I have watched many a sunrise and seen the Northern sky afterwards but have never witnessed whatever that is.

From that image, I can see a distinct Y shape 🤔 

Could it be some kind of glitch in the camera itself or is it a weird sky phenomenon? 🤨

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, ChillyJuju said:

Hmm I have watched many a sunrise and seen the Northern sky afterwards but have never witnessed whatever that is.

From that image, I can see a distinct Y shape 🤔 

Could it be some kind of glitch in the camera itself or is it a weird sky phenomenon? 🤨

Apparently it was an optical phenomena

EPOD.USRA.EDU

Provided and copyright by: Alexander Wünsche, AKM e.V. Summary authors & editors: Alexander Wünsche; Jim Foster The photo above shows the rarely photographed and seldom observed anthelion and...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
11 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Some amazing optical phenomena this morning I witnessed from Irlam. Unusual to the rare caused by diamond dust falling.

Light pillars. Last time I saw them was at the end of December 2000 

image.thumb.png.12048df700ac0be7238016100de43c4e.png  image.thumb.png.3b002fc2e186274c7fe19a32ab49fb75.png

Never seen before this or even knew it existed. Closest  explanation given for it  is a lunar pillar. Absolutely amazed by this

image.thumb.png.3b741a2b47dd1fed092f5c0f9ce6255b.pngimage.thumb.png.92f8657787749c21fd42c176cce6dfdb.png

Upper tangent arc

image.thumb.png.c52ccc4edd4a14f8ae853328c9de6329.png     

An amazing morning.

image.png

Incredible images! I would love to see something like that.

Roughly how cold was it at the time? I thought diamond dust formed at really cold temperatures but obviously this doesn't seem to be the case, and your YT video captures is so well! Nicely done and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Southern Storm said:

Incredible images! I would love to see something like that.

Roughly how cold was it at the time? I thought diamond dust formed at really cold temperatures but obviously this doesn't seem to be the case, and your YT video captures is so well! Nicely done and thanks for sharing.

Thanks you your comments,  S S

It only got down to -5.0°C  There was freezing fog about, so some of the effects could be down to fog precipitate. 

Apparently  I captured a phenomenon that it is seldom seen even in polar regions. A Moilanen arc, the V shape between the upper tangent arc and the sun

ATOPTICS.CO.UK

This article explores the enigmatic Moilanen Arc, a rare atmospheric optical phenomenon named after its discoverer. Researchers continue to unravel the mysteries of this captivating arc, which remains one of the...

Readjusted photo

image.thumb.png.1b89a45a58123ad1d5a801f6d1a76dc3.png

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2