Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your favourite season of each year of the 00's

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

What is your favourite season from each year in the 00s? I suppose mine would be as follows:

2000 - Winter 99/00 (lots of cold and frosty nights as well as snow at times, particularly during December)

2001 - Spring (a difficult one, but I went for spring as there were many pleasant days, though April wasn't great)

2002 - Spring (a nondescript year, so just chose the best of a boring bunch)

2003 - Summer (a good year all in all for seasonal weather, but I remember summer the most as the best of it coincided with the school summer hols)

2004 - Autumn (another difficult one, so just went for the first one that came up in my head)

2005 - Summer (whilst not the best, it wasn't the worst either)

2006 - Summer (July in particular was warm/hot and sunny for much of the time)

2007 - Spring (April in particular was a lovely month)

2008 - Autumn (autumn wasn't too bad from mid September onwards)

2009 - Winter 08/09 (a cold start to the year with widespread snow. First week of Feb also)

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted

@Weather Enthusiast91 I'm surprised winter 00/01 didn't feature as that was an interesting winter for the period and was the 3rd coldest of the decade after 08/09 and 05/06!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

@Don Oops. I forgot all about that. 🫣

• Like 1

Posted

@Weather Enthusiast91 did you do ok for snow that winter?  The main snow event for the south was overnight on the 27th December.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Mine would be as follows:

2000.  Autumn.  As someone who finds stormy weather exciting this was a great season.  I would of course had picked summer had this been better.

2001.  Summer.  June wasn't great, but July and August had some good hot spells and were very thundery here.

2002.  Autumn.  September was very pleasant after the 1st week, and there were some good stormy periods through October and November.

2003.  Summer.  Needs no explanation, though spring and autumn were good too.

2004.  Summer.  June was OK, apart from the last third.  July not great until the last 10 days but August 2004 is one of my favourite ever months, for its combination of heat, humidity and storms.  We need another month like this one!

2005.  Summer.  A tougher one to pick but there were some good warm spells and storms.  A bit like 2001.

2006.  Summer.  No explanation needed, just wish August wasn't such a let down.  Autumn was good too this year though.

2007.  Spring.  March was good, April was great, and may was interesting how it suddenly flipped.

2008.  The toughest to pick as this wasn't a great year at all, but spring, as March had a bit of stormy weather and snow.  April had a good snow event.  I was away for the 1st half of May but had I been here I would have probably enjoyed that spell.

2009.  Winter.  For the great snow event in February.  Again a tough one to pick as Summer wasn't bad either and the winter wasn't ALL good, and the autumn was quite interesting with warmth and a few windstorms.

• Like 1

Posted

@Don Hello Don, sorry for the late reply.

Yes we did get snow round about that time and it was very cold with a low of -13 on on one of those nights. ❄️

• Like 1

Posted

2000: Controversial but I will say summer 2000. It was one of the driest summers I’ve recorded only 2003, 2013, 2018 and 2021 have been drier. Didn’t have much heat but it was a pleasant summer in the north.

2001:  Winter - Cold but very pleasant January with plenty of sunshine, February had a blizzard here on the 4th and it brought some very heavy snow, probably the heaviest snowfall until December 2009. Continued into March with some very low temperatures.

2002: None, horrible, horrible year for weather. No season that year deserves a mention.

2003: Summer - Very pleasant June with lots of sunshine, warm days and not much rain, July was still a decent month despite it being rather dull, there was some brilliant summer weather midmonth. August was a spectacular month, until the last week and that was the last proper good August until 2021 which is amazing. 

2004: Summer - Not a summer for good weather but I found August 2004 very interesting. It was a very wet but also a very humid and warm month which was very unusual. Some severe flooding between the 9th-13th. Many villages in Perthshire were cut off, there was a landslide on the A9 and Aberfeldy around 30 miles from me had 150mm of rain in just three days. I hadn’t experienced a month like it before and I haven’t since.

2005: Summer - Have good memories of that summer, it was very dry especially in July. June had some good weather in the first half, the first half of July was glorious the second was a bit more dull and cool but it was still dry. August was quite warm and had a week of lovely weather but it wasn’t overly settled.

2006: Summer - Fantastic summer especially in June and July, very warm and sunny with only occasional rain. August was still quite a decent month but more unsettled, some hot weather in the second week but was quite cool in the second half.

2007: Autumn - September and October were lovely months, maximum temperatures were above average with many dry and sunny days but with cool nights so it made it very pleasant after a poor summer. November did turn a little bit more unsettled but still wasn’t too bad.

2008: Spring - Pulling at strings for 2008 but Spring did have some interesting weather, snowy weather at Easter which was unusual and May that year was very pleasant.

2009: Spring - A pleasantly mild and sunny season for the most part without too much heat until the last week of May. March and April were both pleasantly mild and May was until the final week where it turned much hotter 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

As with the worst season of the 2000s thread, I am only going by stats here for the most part in Dublin and my current preferences imagining myself experiencing them as if they were today.

2000 - Summer. No other season to pick from really. Boring winter, forgettable spring overall (very poor April but sunniest May on record until 2020) and autumn was atrocious. A fine August with some thunderstorms, June had some notable warmth and July was mediocre but could have been much worse like eastern England.

2001 - Winter. Most interesting of the lot with a snowy spell late February into first few days of March and a frosty January. December would have been lovely later that year too being the sunniest on record and a seasonal Christmas. Spring was poor minus May which was great. Summer not terrible but forgettable. Autumn was boring.

2002 - Spring. The best of a bad bunch with a fine March, mixed April with some very wet weather later and a very wet May here. As per other posts, all seasons poor. December a contrast on the previous year from the sunniest on record to the cloudiest on record (until 2018).

2003 - Spring. A bit out of left field pick but March was cracking - the sunniest on record until 2022 smashed it - with lots and lots of sunshine, mild days. April was also fantastic with warmth and sunshine. May was poor but seen worse. Meanwhile the summer had a mixed June/July with a lot of unsettled weather before it really got going with a stunning sunny, warm and dry August. Spring had more bang for its buck than summer here though I'd take either really.

2004 - Spring. No season particularly great but March ok and May fine with a mediocre April inbetween. Summer far too unsettled. A lovely September but very wet October and dry, cloudy November.

2005 - Summer. A lot of cloudy periods this summer but often on the warm and mixed side. July ended terribly with over 48 hours of persistent heavy rain on the 28th/29th and June started off poorly. Other than that, a summer with lots of useful weather than anything else. Second week of July very warm and sunny.

2006 - Summer. Easy easy win for summer this year. August was poor but June and July were absolute classics. July was my favourite summer month until June 2018 and I have very hazy (I was only 5) memories of it from living in the family mobile by the seaside through the month. Haven't seen a July as sunny since.

2007 - Spring. All months good. March mostly fine if a bit changeable at times. Cracker of an April being exceptionally sunny, exceptionally dry and exceptionally warm all in the same month. Even May was a lovely month here and didn't get the deterioration that England had.

2008 - Spring. Good variety of everything. Deep low pressure systems through March (record low on the 10th) with several cold zonality episodes giving temporary snow, a mild start and end to April with a pronounced cool period inbetween including frequent April showers (something that has been lacking in many years it seems) and a warm, sunny May. Had my last significant April snow on the 6th.

2009 - Winter. At last a seasonal winter after the many many mild ones. Not snowy though did have some snow in early February with regular colder periods and December 2009 the coldest since 1981 with Wicklow Mountains buried into January 2010. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I've lived in various parts of the country but for most of the 2000s I was in eastern England, either Tyneside, Leeds or Norwich. Overall it would probably be: 

2000 - Winter. I didn't particularly enjoy any season that year, but winter 1999/2000 at least had plenty of sunshine. August was pretty enjoyable but in eastern England it was outweighed by that very cold and grey July.

2001 - Winter again, due to the post-Christmas snowy spell and plenty of sunshine and some snow in January & February, although spring was also a contender thanks to a snowy March and a fine May. 

2002 - Spring. The warm sunny weather of late March & April was one of the few memorable events that year.

2003 - Summer, although the spring ran it very close.

2004 - Winter. It was a fairly mild one overall, but despite that the northerlies were pretty snowy.

2005 - Summer. Had it not been for the cool grey second half of July I would have regarded this as a very good summer. Two notable thunderstorms, 19 June and 31 August. Autumn 2005 had its moments and its contrasts and ran it quite close.

2006 - Summer, mainly because of the first 12 days of June and then that July, both of which felt like proper continental summer weather.

2007 - Spring, mainly because of the March and April.

2008 - Spring, I enjoyed most of March and first half of April (sun, showers, snow, and even some thunder) and the warm sunny first half of May.

2009 - Winter. I spent the early part of 2009 in Exeter and was very surprised to get a couple of snowfalls there in February. I also quite enjoyed the summer that year, but not as much as the winter.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2