Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Longest run of consecutive wet months?

Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
Posted (edited)

LetItSnow!Thanks, so the 70s were dry too. (1978 not on your wet list by the looks of things).

I have some memories of 1978 and 1979, the former seemed wet, while the latter was mostly just cool and cloudy (though wet at times at the very end of July and in first half of August). I remember being outside quite a lot in July 1979, and cool but bright and dry seemed to be the main theme.

Again, it underlines how many of us have considered recent summers wet, given that the 1970s-1990s were all on the dry side of average. Most people born from the mid-60s to the mid-80s especially will have grown up expecting summers to be reasonably dry.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Summer8906 The summer of 1978 had a EWP total of 209.5mm which is 92% of the normal. June and July were near-normal but August was dry (though for era it probably was slightly drier than normal) with 77% of the norm.

Had the synoptics of the autumn occured during the summer then perhaps 1978 would have rivalled 1976...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
Posted (edited)

LetItSnow! Interesting.

Looks like wet winters were hard to come by in my earliest memories.

1978 was the first I remember, so the first wet summer of my memory was presumably 1980 (as I definitely don't remember 1974).

Then presumably 1985, 1987?, 1988?, 1992 and 1999, and finally 2004.

So there were perhaps just 7 wet summers between 1975 and 2006?

No wonder many of us think recent summers are a bit rubbish at times!

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
On 03/04/2024 at 19:31, Summer8906 said:

To be fair I don't think the recent summers have been especially wet (in terms of volume of rainfall) compared to previous eras, just very dull and damp and lacking much in the way of northerly types of any description. 2021 and 2023 were the only two since 2012 which were really seriously wet.

Do bear in mind that the EWP can hide regional variation. A great example is the summer of 2021 which in the EWP records was slightly drier than average but a very wet summer in the south-east. 

The Met Office used to have anomaly maps going all the way to the beginning of their UK wide records just like the maps we have today, but they seemingly have been removed from their site and it’s a shame.

Wetter than average summers between 1969-2006; 1971, 1974, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1992, 1997, 1999, 2004.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

LetItSnow! I dont remember 1971 but 1974,1982,1992,1999 and 2004 were all decent summers despite their rainfall,certainly for me as a farmer trying to get the hay made.

Posted
Posted (edited)

LetItSnow! Interesting list as I would not rate 1982, 1997 or indeed 1999 as particularly bad summers. In the former two I guess all the rain was concentrated in June, and in the latter it was concentrated in August.

hillbilly I don't remember 1971 or 1974 but the latter looked wet but sunny, so an unusual combination. Lots of N-lies and NW-lies, perhaps, as it was also cool.

1992 was pretty poor IMX.

Edited by Summer8906