Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London and East Anglia Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 on

Posted

Currently 8.2 outside. Feels pleasant in the sun. Nice to see the sunshine back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

alexisj9 Don't get me wrong, it's not warm out and i live in my cardie all winter, but i didn't feel the need for the extra layer when i popped out. 

lassie23 Well it's odd for me lass, i normally feel the cold even being a snow lover and all. But nah, i must of had  my ready brek yesterday or something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Nice sunset

20240201_165958.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Stunning sunset out my office window near Heathrow Airport earlier

Sunset_010224_01.thumb.jpg.88f375e0d705b3b3879bf1cfe5ccf25a.jpgSunset_010224_02.thumb.jpg.92e3a080b39e5d13d3400dc4ec5e61df.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Nick F Beautiful sunset here as well. Even though it is the very first day of February, there was a hint of spring in the air this afternoon when I was outside my house.

Posted

Apparently ECM has snow event for Shetland, GFS for the North of England and the UKMO for the Southern Half of England for next Thursday/Friday. We all know it will end up in France though

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

lassie23 not been out today. Meh

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

1st Feb sunset with phone 

After checking the satellite images earlier in the day, and with patches of altocumulus around. I knew there was a chance of a good sunset 

IMG_20240202_111559_(1400_x_1050_pixel).thumb.jpg.896412b92f229bfeb1877349332a2951.jpg

IMG_20240202_111457_(2000_x_1500_pixel).thumb.jpg.a1aea4d032d017af88acf7a1b851ab85.jpg

Edited by Sprites
  • Like 4

Posted

snowblind Seriously thinking of taking notice of that. Only change into Autumn/Spring duvet at 7.5 togs but even that is becoming too hot in the depths of Winter. I notice the temperature climbed from 1.5c at 19:00 (7pm) last night lol See graph below...

image.thumb.png.f4ee2b54ff0b3b529b844d2721fd8c54.png

What a way to welcome in February 2024.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer sunshine

Just seen this posted else where, certainly interesting how weather was predicted way back when! 

In old English folklore Feb 2 (the Celtic festival of Imbolc or the Christian festival of Candlemas) was regarded as a significant day in forecasting the weather for the remainder of winter.  It was believed that if the weather was fine and clear, then cold and stormy weather would reign for the remaining weeks of winter, whilst grey and wet weather was said to foretell of a milder end to winter and an early thaw. 

If Candlemas be fair and bright,
winter has another flight.
When Candlemas brings cloud and rain,
winter shall not come again.

In the days before the first weather forecasts signs and omens were taken very seriously, especially in a rural environment where the local economy was greatly impacted by the weather ahead.

The Celtic fire festival of Imbolc (pronounced im-olk) marks the middle of Winter (occurring roughly midway between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox).  The festival commemorates the rebirth of the sun, signalling the successful passing of winter and the beginning of the agricultural year.  As winter stores of food were getting low Imbolc rituals were performed to harness the energy that would ensure a steady supply of food until the harvest six months later.  It is also a festival of light and of fertility, once marked in Europe with huge blazes, torches and fire in every form (from where the much more sedate Christian celebration of Candlemas evolved).  The lighting of fires celebrated the increasing power of the Sun over the coming months.

Feb 2 was traditionally also the day when livestock was removed from the meadows that were destined to be cut for hay later in the summer. 

Over the past few years, looking outside to predict the remainder of winter has been somewhat confusing, as sunshine at one moment has rapidly given way to grey skies, as if nature is playing a secretive game and is keeping its hand very close to its body. 

• Like 4

Posted

@lassie23 i wish to complain about the October fog index. Many fogs no snow😩

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Dami whaaaaaaaat must mean Feb will be a whiteout. It has been frighteningly accurate up my end.

Edited by lassie23

Posted

lassie23 I want my money back. humphhhhh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Sprites I could be wrong but that looks like a light pillar / sun pillar in those photos. If that's the case, what a fantastic shot and a lucky find!!! My understanding is they're pretty rare 😁

• Like 2