Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Media Ignorance When It Comes To The Weather

Posted

Oh dear one of their columnists has actually made a comment on it, it gets from bad to worse :p

Now we're told to expect hurricanes in Wales, so let's show the world how it's done properly with good, strong Welsh names. Hurricane Aeronwy, Hurricane Meurig, Hurricane Bronwen.

We could name them after famous Welsh people. Hurricane Charlotte (wreaked havoc in Caroline Street, Cardiff late one Saturday night) or Hurricane Henson (blew England away with its last gasp).

It could put rising Welsh celebs on the international map - or blow them right off it.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/co...-name_page.html

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

God that was the biggest laugth I had in years. What a load of twaddle, poppy cock or whatever you want to call it.

Perhaps we should all post comments or has Wales suddenly broken off the UK and drifted across the Atlantic???? I didn't feel the earth quake but then I may have been drunk at the time.

Posted

2 things from me today....

1. Met a bloke in town this morning about 11.00, he said "I best get a move on 'cause it's going to rain after midday." I said "no chance today, maybe some tonight, where'd you get that from". "Oh on HTV !" " :p Rubbish I said".

Besides there was barely a cloud in the sky.

2. Excellently on BBC Breakfast Carol Kirkwood referred to '2 tornadoes in Ireland yesterday'. No use of that ridiculous word 'mini' !!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
The coverage I saw referred to 'unseasonably warm' tempearature and 'above average for the time of year in that region', both of which are true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

18ºc is not unseasonably warm, even in the North East.

Posted

Of course they're now missing a real oppartunity to go on about GW. They haven't spotted Hurricane Vince off Portugal. No doubt it will come up sometime in the future in GW frenzy which seems to be effecting the media at present.

Posted

Poor old Vince the only true Hurricane to form nearby and no one in the press noticed. I feel sorry for him.

Posted
Don't you just love the ignorance of the media when it comes to the weather.

From the 31st May 2005 edition of the Sun, the day after the Whit Bank Holiday

"Storms lashed other parts of the UK yesterday as the Bank Holiday became a big wash-out."

Well for most of the UK it was actually a reasonable day! There were storms and the tornado(es) around Cambridgeshire and the Southeast but for most it wasn't a washout!!!

From the 17th of July 2005 edition of the News of the World

"the hot spell is set to continue for the rest of the week"

Infact the forecast was for it to turn cooler and become more unsettled which it did

and from today's (7th August) edition of the News of the World.

"and forecasters say it will get hotter later in the week, with temperatures soaring to 24C"

When you consider it can get into the 30s at this time of the year, 24C does not seem to me a soaring temperature!  :(   :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mr D,

On the one hand I agree, on the other hand you're hardly citing the high ground of reportage there are you?