Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Media Ignorance When It Comes To The Weather

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
And while were at it - what does the far north mean? Where exactly?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anywhere beyond the Watford gap where Polar Bears walk and Stage coaches run. <_<

Posted
Here we go again with the News of the World again in today's edition

"Weathermen say most of England and Wales will bask in sun over the next few days. But Scotland will be cloudier"

:(   <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe they're talking about next August :blink:

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
For instance, it is assumed that most people have no interest in the weather, a minority have a passing interest and an even smaller minority have a big interest.  In reality, certainly in my experience, most people seem to fall into the 'passing interest' category.  In other words, they underestimate the amount of interest people actually, on average, have in the weather.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with the principle of what you are saying. I'd probably go further and say that there is hardly anyone in the 'no interest' category. To be like that, you'd have to be the sort of person who would walk around in t-shirt and shorts whatever the weather.

Secondly, I'd say the passing interest category could be split into two:

a - people who only look at weather forecasts when they have an outdoors event planned and/or are travelling somewhere; and

b - people who will look at the forecast whatever they are doing and possibly alter their plans on the basis of what they see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

We have to accept that those of us who are very interested are very much in the minority and will probably never be catered for. If people ask me if I have a hobby I tell them that I am a weather watcher and this is normally followed by a question along the lines of 'will it be nice at the weekend?'.

Like you said Enforcer, people who have a passing interest are only interested in the weather where it has direct relevance to them. My wife is like that and to an extent doesn't appreciate my level of interest. For example I had a box of videos in the attic that were full of nearly every Countryfile forecast from 1993 to 2003 and she threw them out :D:D !! It was like losing a family member.

Although there are nearly 4000 forum members on NW we will never be more than a fringe minority.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
We have to accept that those of us who are very interested are very much in the minority and will probably never be catered for.

We probably won't- but it does often seem to me that the media even greatly underestimate the extent to which the 'average' person is interested, let alone us lot!

I know a lot of people who generally don't have much interest in the weather, but when anything unusual or dramatic turns up, their level of interest increases. For example they may get fascinated by the effects that snow creates, they may be excited by thunderstorms, or they may make a point of making the most of warm sunny spells, as happened in late June/early July 2005 for example.

It is remarkable how large the number of largely uninterested people I've come across is, who take an interest in certain weather types. However, I'm yet to see any section of the media acknowledge that people like this exist, let alone that they make up a significant proportion of the population.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
For example I had a box of videos in the attic that were full of nearly every Countryfile forecast from 1993 to 2003 and she threw them out :(   :( !! It was like losing a family member.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would have thought that was a sackable offence?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
we will never be more than a fringe minority.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

why do i always end up the fringe minority ? :(:(

i think more people are interested about the weather than the media leads us to believe, i work in a shop, (a co-op) and on a daily basis people talk about the weather, what it was like, what is forecast and this only increases more when a big event happens like the massive hail here in Ipswich; everyone was talking about it. Its not just older people, or middle-aged people, its the teenagers as well

Posted

What I find common is that people tend to base their opinion on the weather for a whole summer/winter/year on the weather thats affecting them today.

Like for instance this Tuesday was nice and sunny and people were saying what a great summer it has been. But today (Wednesday, which was wet n' windy) people were saying what a wash-out summer it has been.

Some people have such short memories! :D

Posted
What I find common is that people tend to base their opinion on the weather for a whole summer/winter/year on the weather thats affecting them today.

Like for instance this Tuesday was nice and sunny and people were saying what a great summer it has been. But today (Wednesday, which was wet n' windy) people were saying what a wash-out summer it has been.

Some people have such short memories! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny you should say that Nick - one of the girls at work said today what a bad summer we had had. I'd say we had (well, in the SE anyway) a very nice summer - only 3 days where it rained all day (from memory) for the whole of summer, and the odd days with a heavy shower or two - the vast majority have been warm, dry and sunny!

Edited by snow raven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I entirely agree. This summer has been good- with the exception of early and late July, (the most unsettled spells that spring to mind). August has been great for me, mostly dry and sunny and not too hot. It's funny as Nick said, how one wet day can change someones view of of what has been a generally good summer.

Posted

I agree with Lee-Anne and SS, its been a fine summer with nothing to complain about IMO. Sure we have had a few unsettled spells of weather but apart from 76 what summer doesn't? and at least it hasn't been too hot either. Some people are dissapointed because they want 30c all the time, but that would greatly reduce the quality of life.

Today the weather is alright. So people will be saying its a good summer again! :mellow:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

People do tend to have very short memories- but this doesn't just apply to weather, it is well known in sports as well, for example.

Personally, I will probably remember 2005 as a decent summer- I might have been disappointed by it had it occurred shortly after the mid 1990s, but given the standards set in the North East by the early 00s summers, I'm not complaining at all.

• 5 weeks later...
Posted

I noticed during the coverage of the tragedy of the death of 4 men during the Great North run mentioned soaring temperatures although I wouldn't call 18C a soaring temperature in September?

I'm sure the London marathon has been run at higher temperatures.

Edited by Mr_Data

I noticed during the coverage of the tragedy of the death of 4 men during the Great North run mentioned soaring temperatures although I wouldn't call 18C a soaring temperature in September?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The coverage I saw referred to 'unseasonably warm' tempearature and 'above average for the time of year in that region', both of which are true.

Posted
The coverage I saw referred to 'unseasonably warm' tempearature and 'above average for the time of year in that region', both of which are true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to weatheronline, it reached 16C at Newcastle Airport that day, that's about the average maximum for Newcastle for September.

Posted
It was mentioned during the race too about how "hot" it was "out there". As you say 18C is hardly hot, even in Newcastle. There's just so much over-hyping in the media these days, particularly on TV. It's getting beyond a joke.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to say that I was playing golf at the time of the run and was only about 10 miles away and it felt humid and very warm to me, I just wonder if the runners took on enough water.

Posted
Yep...i recorded a maximum temperature in Durham of about 19C in the early afternoon and the sunshine was quite strong with high humidity for a time....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats the problem, sometimes peoples ignorance of the difference between temperature and humidity gets the better of them. If they are going to give pollen levels in summer forecasts they should give humidity too, as it has a great baring on how comfotable people feel, not to mention the ease of breathing for the elderly.

Posted

Often I think wind chill effects are underestimated. From personal experience, I have known 16C, light winds and generous sunshine feel pleasantly warm in summer, and 19C with a strong westerly wind feel rather cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I've read some creative journalism in my time but that takes first prize by a considerable margin.

If I'd been reading the newspaper first hand I would have been checking the date to ensure it wasn't April 1st.

I'd love to know where the journalist came up with the idea of hurricanes colliding, like some form of atmospheric bagatelle; it also makes you wonder who proof read the piece.

Most unfortunate of all is the fact that there a many people who would take the article at face value and be quoting pieces from it for several week afterwards.

T.M

Posted
Less than two weeks ago one such system, Hurricane Maria, became the first hurricane ever to hit Britain when it brushed the north edge of Scotland,

If the far north of the UK was hit by a hurricane, it would have been front page news on most newspapers and it would have featured in the news headlines.

What a load of garbage!

Had Maria done what we expected it to, it would have come straight into Manchester and would have caused around 16 inches of rain across the central part of England and North Wales

I very much doubt it, ex Charley did dump a lot of rain but 16" of rain it didn't thats 40cm of rain nearly!!

:):)

Posted

That's the problems- most people don't question things like that, they just accept, and then they get very defensive when you try to open their minds to the possibility that things may not be as the articles say they are.

Yes, waters are warming around the British Isles, but we'd need at least another several degrees of warming locally around Britain before hurricanes in Britain became a serious threat.