Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Where To Put Outdoor Sensor?

runboy

Posted

I bagged myself a Oregon BAR323 today for £33, nice little unit. However the manual isn't 100% clear on where I put the outdoor sensor.

Now I presume it has some form of weather protection-the battery compartment had a rubber seal for example, but just where would I place this sensor unit? Screw it to the house or garage? Does it have to go somewhere a little sheltered so if it rains its not likely to have the full shower directly on the unit?

Any advice would be great!

Posted

Well i don't know if this is right but, mine is situated on a north facing wall about 4 feet off the ground.

Posted

Sounds about right to me although try not put it on the house wall as that will knock the accuracy off it slightly. But yeah, thats proabbly as good as you can get it without buying a stevenson screen :)

Posted

OK, so they can go outside ok. I think my north facing is the front of the house-don't want to get it stolen! Might try and hide it away....I could mount it on my conservatory wall as this is is not centrally heated like the house so may help with preventing false temp readings!

At the moment its sat in a plastic food box outside!

Edited by runboy

Posted
OK, so they can go outside ok. I think my north facing is the front of the house-don't want to get it stolen! Might try and hide it away....I could mount it on my conservatory wall as this is is not centrally heated like the house so may help with preventing false temp readings!

At the moment its sat in a plastic food box outside!

If you attach it to a wall, its best to first attach some kind of small pole to rise above the top of the wall, then place your senso on the top.

Posted

Is attaching those sensors to trees OK? I ask because I received a weather station too and think that the house wall might radiate heat. Also I suspect a bit of a frost hollow at the bottom of the garden and there are some trees dowh there that would do nicely.

Posted
Is attaching those sensors to trees OK? I ask because I received a weather station too and think that the house wall might radiate heat. Also I suspect a bit of a frost hollow at the bottom of the garden and there are some trees dowh there that would do nicely.

I have mine on a pole, the actual sensor is about half a meter above my lower roof, doesnt seem to be giving out wrong readings at the mo, actually seems spot on with the nearest airfield.