Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Central Heating On In August?

snowsure

Posted

So then, after 3 weeks surfing off the North Devon coast I am tired of people telling me that August is rapidly becoming like an autumn month.

Sure July was hot (It is summer after all!) but it is REALLY unusual to have the central heating on in my house on August 14th. I have been back from holiday for 4 days so the house has returned to an ambient temperature. Anyone else suffering from unseasonal coolness?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ser...tics/ewtemp.txt

The above link is the CET series which shows that July was the warmest July month of the series but Jan to Jun don't look that hot, do they?

Remind yourself to look again in September at the August data.

Can I hear a shout of "GW is global, not local" from the hot, hot, hot brigade?

Perhaps that will be considered when people get giddy when the mercury boils at Heathrow. Somewhere on this great planet, there will be an inverse event happening.

It is down to balance or equilibrium, something in short supply from humans in general!

For the global picture, go to http://www.wmo.ch/web/gcos/gcoshome.html

SS

Guest Daniel
So then, after 3 weeks surfing off the North Devon coast I am tired of people telling me that August is rapidly becoming like an autumn month.

Sure July was hot (It is summer after all!) but it is REALLY unusual to have the central heating on in my house on August 14th. I have been back from holiday for 4 days so the house has returned to an ambient temperature. Anyone else suffering from unseasonal coolness?

The above link is the CET series which shows that July was the warmest July month of the series but Jan to Jun don't look that hot, do they?

Perhaps that will be considered when people get giddy when the mercury boils at Heathrow. Somewhere on this great planet, there will be an inverse event happening.

It is down to balance or equilibrium, something in short supply from humans in general!

SS

Quite right Well said. It is amazing that when ever we get a hot spell like in July the global warming side come out and shout about global warming and how hot its going to be. But now in August it freezing compared to July and day trime max are barley getting above 22C That more than 10 degrees down on July. Further more the winter and Spring this year has been a little cooler than normal. My view still holds that we are going to cool down in the future big time. There are two reasons for this. First the Gulf stream will weaken due to more and more ice entering into the sea from Greenland due to more snow fall there. Also the sun will go quite around the 2030s. All this mean that the U.K will cool down and we can expect higher rainfall and more storms as lows track further south and winters will be much colder with much greater snow fall and in some winters the snows could lye on the ground for up to a 100 days. So I would say we should be far more worried about cooling than warming and August had just shown how fast our weather can go from baking heat to cool and wet conditions.

Posted
But now in August it freezing compared to July and day trime max are barley getting above 22C That more than 10 degrees down on July. Further more the winter and Spring this year has been a little cooler than normal. My view still holds that we are going to cool down in the future big time. There are two reasons for this. First the Gulf stream will weaken due to more and more ice entering into the sea from Greenland due to more snow fall there. Also the sun will go quite around the 2030s. All this mean that the U.K will cool down and we can expect higher rainfall and more storms as lows track further south and winters will be much colder with much greater snow fall and in some winters the snows could lye on the ground for up to a 100 days. So I would say we should be far more worried about cooling than warming and August had just shown how fast our weather can go from baking heat to cool and wet conditions.

Where does one start with such ill-informed nonsense? :angry: Well this "freezing" weather has resulted in the current August CET being 0.5C higher than normal according to Phil. Eden. You note that day time max are "barely getting above 22C": well that's the long term average for August, or just a shade above! These "wet conditions" in August: there's more than 30 per cent deficit across England and Wales so far this month according to the same source. You assume these are "cool and wet conditions" but you've clearly become accustomed to hot conditions during last month so much that you fail to recognise what constitutes an average British summer.

Jan to Jun don't look that hot, do they?

March was the only really colder-than-usual month out of the first five months of the year; dunno where you were in June but it can't have been the UK!

Edited by Nick H

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, August 2006 is freezing compared to July 2006.

However, it's not much more of a comparison than to say that Summer 1996 was "freezing" compared to Summer 1995, even though it was generally warmer and sunnier than average.

Posted

SS

SS,

Not quite sure what point your making, and frankly I'd be more surprised if Daniel uttered anything other than the normal "the ice age cometh" than I would if a cow fell out of the sky.

It is cool just now, but it's not exceptionally so, and neither is it in any way exceptional for August anyway. Several times in recent years I've noticed a chill in early August, but invariably significant summer warmth returns before summer's done.

I posted somewhere the other day that if you look back over this summer there have been something like 15 very warm or hot days, and about four cool ones (none of the cool days have been relatively as cool as the hot days have been hot). If you feel cool at present it's as much a statement of just how exceptionally hot July was. For Daniel to say it's freezing when the average for the month is STILL above the long term mean is plain daft.

Posted

No – it’s not been a month to remember – yet but it hasn't been that cold.

My average daytime shaded max is 23.7C which is actually 2.2C down on August last year but that is still something like 4C up on our local long-term average for August.

Having a houseful of dogs who appreciate the open air, our back door, which faces south, has been open EVERY day this month from around 7 am until sometimes as late as midnight without any of us suffering frostbite. :angry: It happens to have been shut tonight to stop the rain from blowing in! :angry:

This may only be a small country but the climatic differences from one end to the other are quite considerable and I’m glad to be in the warmish south rather than the coldish north.

Summer is still here, even if it did peak in July.

:angry:

Guest Daniel
SS,

Not quite sure what point your making, and frankly I'd be more surprised if Daniel uttered anything other than the normal "the ice age cometh" than I would if a cow fell out of the sky.

It is cool just now, but it's not exceptionally so, and neither is it in any way exceptional for August anyway. Several times in recent years I've noticed a chill in early August, but invariably significant summer warmth returns before summer's done.

I posted somewhere the other day that if you look back over this summer there have been something like 15 very warm or hot days, and about four cool ones (none of the cool days have been relatively as cool as the hot days have been hot). If you feel cool at present it's as much a statement of just how exceptionally hot July was. For Daniel to say it's freezing when the average for the month is STILL above the long term mean is plain daft.

You missed my point. I said August is freezing compared to the record heat in July. We are more than 10 degrees down compared with july. In july we had day time temps in the low 30s and night time temps around 20c in London. But now day time temps are only around 22 mark which is average and night times around 12c. That is freezing compared to July. I now go to bed with sheets on. In July it was to hot for bed sheets on. So Yes compared to that heat it does feel like freezing. As for the future I still think that a new cold period is just round the coner.

Posted

Of course, August seems cold, when we compare it to our latest July figure.

However, July was a record breaking month, so anything that isnt above average, is likely to feel cold.

However, as others have pointed out, the CET (whos ever you use), does not show anything below average for August 2006.

An average month can of course be created by peaks and troughs, straight average, or a combination of all three.

But at the end of the day, its not cold. Again, there are regional variations. Some may be above average, some average, some below. But centrally, its been average, and has been created by a month of an average. No peaks and trough unfortunately, but average none the less.

The lack of sunshine in central regions has also contributed to this, as during August, sunshine can make a big enough impact on the temperatures.

Central heating on? Well as I say, that depends on regional bias as well. For here (one of the more central locations, its been touch and go whether to put the heating on). But in turn, I am still sitting here in a t-shirt and shorts. So no surprise that i'm feeling colder.

For me, its just the shock of temperature difference, that in turn is creating the feeling that its cold.

We are more than 10 degrees down compared with july.

Not in terms of average 24hr temps Daniel. In fact, its approx 3.5oC down on average. There are of course max and min temps to consider, but if you are talking about a 10oC drop on maxs, that would make an increase in min temps!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I think what concerns me is the fact people are putting on the central heating in august! especially as the temps are (just) above average still.

Its no wonder the planet is warming up if people are too lazy to put an extra layer of clothing on before wacking up the heating, heaven help people in this country if the winter does turn out colder than usual.

Im sorry if i was under the misunderstanding that humans were warm blooded creatures, but it seems as if humans are actualy as reptilian as the politicians.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
I think what concerns me is the fact people are putting on the central heating in august! especially as the temps are (just) above average still.

Its no wonder the planet is warming up if people are too lazy to put an extra layer of clothing on before wacking up the heating, heaven help people in this country if the winter does turn out colder than usual.

Im sorry if i was under the misunderstanding that humans were warm blooded creatures, but it seems as if humans are actualy as reptilian as the politicians.

I agree with what you say.

We are told to be more like our grandparents to mitigate the worst of global warming and my Nan would never have fetched a scuttle of coal into the house in August!!! She may have put on a Cardi or jumper but she certainly would not have wasted more of our planets resources because the sun wasn't shinning. We are living in privelidged times and it makes my blood boil to see people turning these priveledges into 'rights'.

Had SS needed to go 'wooding' for deadwood, chopping to size and setting his/her fire then I'm sure they'd have chosen to pull on a jumper instead.

Come on people both for purse and planet think before you waste our futures.

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
I agree with what you say.

We are told to be more like our grandparents to mitigate the worst of global warming and my Nan would never have fetched a scuttle of coal into the house in August!!! She may have put on a Cardi or jumper but she certainly would not have wasted more of our planets resources because the sun wasn't shinning. We are living in privelidged times and it makes my blood boil to see people turning these priveledges into 'rights'.

Had SS needed to go 'wooding' for deadwood, chopping to size and setting his/her fire then I'm sure they'd have chosen to pull on a jumper instead.

Come on people both for purse and planet think before you waste our futures.

Wow! I didn't realise that my actions would be condemned so quickly!

What about the fact that I cycle to work every day rather that use my diesel car to travel the 5 miles each way. Perhaps I am wrong for doing this as I give out more CO2 when exercising.

How about the fact that I travelled 1000 miles in the last 3 weeks by towing my caravan (with the car) to North Devon and back rather than jump on an aeroplane like many, many, many other people.

Oh and by the way I do deadwood for fuel as I have a wood burning AGA that I use in conjunction with my combi-boiler central heating.

World getting hot because of my actions in August? More likely due to other factors (like us lot using computers thus demanding a greater energy supply from the powerstations!)

Posted
You missed my point. I said August is freezing compared to the record heat in July. We are more than 10 degrees down compared with july. In july we had day time temps in the low 30s and night time temps around 20c in London. But now day time temps are only around 22 mark which is average and night times around 12c. That is freezing compared to July. I now go to bed with sheets on. In July it was to hot for bed sheets on. So Yes compared to that heat it does feel like freezing. As for the future I still think that a new cold period is just round the coner.

Daniel,

With all due respect that's a statement of the bleeding obvious which proves nothing other than what we already know. July was exceptionally (unprecedentedly) hot. It follows that any ensuing month is likely to be a lot cooler by comparison.

If I stood next to the world's tallest man and an invader from Mars, or Ice Age Now, who knew nothing about life on earth saw us they would think I'm short. The reality is I'm comfortably in the top decile by height. Relativity proves nothing when used in point to point comparisons. The fact remains, August whilst feeling less hot (it certainly has NOT felt freezing to me), has actually been about what would be expected for the time year; some days a bit warmer than par, some a bit cooler, but nothing remotely close to be exceptionally cool / cold.

I know you think a new cold period is around the corner, though I can't think why I suspect that is more driven by a love of cold (which inherently brings a bias into judgement) than any hard and robust science that indicates it might be.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Yes we've had ours on as the temp downstairs had fallen to 19C and my elderly parent was feeling chilly. Min you like most cold people she doesn't have the sense to put something warmer on.

Posted

Temperatures are maybe just above average, but that doesnt show what individual days are like. For instance yesterday here was dull and very wet with heavy rain all day and a high of only 14c! Thats about 4c or 5c below the average max for here and you probably wouldn't think anything of putting the heating on if it was like that in October, so why not August? The weather doesn't always go by the calendar, especially in this country :)

Posted

It's worth noting that according to Philip Eden's site the SW of England (ie the area comprising North Devon mentioned in the OP) is having a far better August (compared to the norm) than other parts, with temp +0.7, rain 15% and sun 95%- compare East Anglia with -0.2C, rain 171% and sun 71%- now as far as I'm concerned people there are entitled to say it's a poor August.

No region has above average sunshine- that's perhaps just as much the reason for people being disappointed s the lower temperatures.

People are right in pointing out that it's the temperatures compared to what they have been, and what you expect at the time of year that matter more than the raw figures. 18C in sunshine in April when March was cold felt warm, in rain in August like today after a hot July it feels cool and miserable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

My wife is the same I barred her from putting it on. It still feels very pleasant to me and I am in T shirt and just started to wear jeans...but when the sun comes out it feels like a mistake. Temps are OK. I find it odd to when in Dec and it is +10C and folk say its freezing! Each to their own I suppose

Summer of 95 that will be due to blood thickness...thin in summer thicker in winter hence any suuden change will invoke feelings of cold/warm

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
It's worth noting that according to Philip Eden's site the SW of England (ie the area comprising North Devon mentioned in the OP) is having a far better August (compared to the norm) than other parts, with temp +0.7, rain 15% and sun 95%- compare East Anglia with -0.2C, rain 171% and sun 71%- now as far as I'm concerned people there are entitled to say it's a poor August.

No region has above average sunshine- that's perhaps just as much the reason for people being disappointed s the lower temperatures.

People are right in pointing out that it's the temperatures compared to what they have been, and what you expect at the time of year that matter more than the raw figures. 18C in sunshine in April when March was cold felt warm, in rain in August like today after a hot July it feels cool and miserable.

Having been in one part of North Devon for the first half of August I can assure you that it was wet, windy (from the North quite often), misty and decidedly cool. P.Eden's site covers many square kilometres and does not reflect how I found the weather.

I also disagree with this idea of humans being able to retrospectively compare 2 consecutive months of weather. Unless you have access to historical data (John Holmes' web site is an excellent case in point) I do not think that we can recall daily weather events. In fact, most people cannot remember what the weather was like 2 days ago, never mind 15 to 45 days ago!

Perception is a killer of scientific debate. Data gives the facts, perception gives the opinions. Intelligence seperates the two!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
I also disagree with this idea of humans being able to retrospectively compare 2 consecutive months of weather. Unless you have access to historical data (John Holmes' web site is an excellent case in point) I do not think that we can recall daily weather events. In fact, most people cannot remember what the weather was like 2 days ago, never mind 15 to 45 days ago!

Perception is a killer of scientific debate. Data gives the facts, perception gives the opinions. Intelligence seperates the two!

Well certainly people here are compairing this month to last month and finding it quite cool even though it's above normal. It's called getting used to the climate and people do adjust which is why find 10C warm in Jan but bloody freezing in June. People also can recall Weather events quite well just becuase you can't doesn't mean others can't. They may not be able to recall exact figures.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
Well certainly people here are compairing this month to last month and finding it quite cool even though it's above normal. It's called getting used to the climate and people do adjust which is why find 10C warm in Jan but bloody freezing in June. People also can recall Weather events quite well just becuase you can't doesn't mean others can't. They may not be able to recall exact figures.

I understand your sentiment but am confused by your tone at the end.

I can recall weather events as I keep a weather diary and have done since 1994 (in response to customers of my business who failed to achieve satisfactory recall in any weather small talk that we had.)

As a pedant I have difficulty with people making sweeping statements like "It wasn't this warm last year" or "We haven't had rain/wind/fog like this for years."

I honestly think that people recall major weather events well, but forget the minor stuff.

What was the weather like last Wednesday in Sheffield? Was it colder then than today? How much sunshine was there? Was it windy? Cloudy? I reckon that the top 25 percentile of the population can remember what they did last week whereas the rest wouldn't really remember (unless they did something exceptional!)

Posted
I understand your sentiment but am confused by your tone at the end.

I can recall weather events as I keep a weather diary and have done since 1994 (in response to customers of my business who failed to achieve satisfactory recall in any weather small talk that we had.)

As a pedant I have difficulty with people making sweeping statements like "It wasn't this warm last year" or "We haven't had rain/wind/fog like this for years."

I honestly think that people recall major weather events well, but forget the minor stuff.

What was the weather like last Wednesday in Sheffield? Was it colder then than today? How much sunshine was there? Was it windy? Cloudy? I reckon that the top 25 percentile of the population can remember what they did last week whereas the rest wouldn't really remember (unless they did something exceptional!)

Hi Ss, just to say that I in no way intended to offend, we are as guilty as the next peson so far as central heating trigger points are concerned ( we have a special needs boy who doesn't temp. regulate very well at times so we have to keep him in constant room temps to avoid 'complications') but the jab at waste in our society stands.

I'm becoming more sure that part of our obesity problem lies in our 'constant 68c' environments. Once upon a time we burned calories to keep warm, now we grow fat on a diet of high protien, sugars and warm rooms.

Posted
I'm becoming more sure that part of our obesity problem lies in our 'constant 68c' environments. Once upon a time we burned calories to keep warm, now we grow fat on a diet of high protien, sugars and warm rooms.

GW,

do you know, I'd never thought of that, and there might be something in it. As a runner I know my body actually uses a lot of energy trying to keep cool though, so maybe there's another solution which says that we just haven't turned the heating high enough!

Posted

Least I'm not guilty of that - I find 68f uncomfortable for room temperature. Around 60f is about right. Preferably with the indow open. Central heating is set at that temp but only usually comes on for an hour or two in the morning from December to March.

When round someone else's house, or even in some pubs, I often have to go outside from time to time in winter to cool off.

Obviously I'm not one of David Icke's reptilians! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
When round someone else's house, or even in some pubs, I often have to go outside from time to time in winter to cool off.

How true is that - at my mother in laws house they have jumpers on and the heating wacked up whereas im sat in a t-shirt sweating!

Posted

I think it's more a 'workplace ' problem . Most folk 'work to live' and not 'live to work'and as such many of them displace their general level of discontentment at having to be in work on anything and eveything and ,over winter, will grumble and even 'down tools' if it's chilly indoors (over the heatwave they did the same over the heat levels).

Human beings do not physically 'evolve ' over 1 lifetime and as such our bodies are more suited to neolithic living envionment than a modern living environment.

As such, if you want to lose weight then stay on the chilly side of comfy and let your body 'burn ' those calories to keep you warm (lazy mans diet!!!) instead of working out then keeping warm.

S.f., you'd end up compounding our water poblems with the extras litres you'd need to dink to keep hydrated!!! :lol:

Edited by Gray-Wolf