Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer northern lights.

Snowyowl9

Posted

In 1990 august 21st I saw the northern lights which is the only time I`ve seen them outside of spring or autumn,does anyone remember seeing them at that date or have seen them between may and the end of august.

I`ve been very lucky to see these displays over the years as there was no forecasts then.

:)

S9

Posted

I saw the northern lights this years in Canada and have seen them there pretty much every year I have been. There is no light pollution so they appear much brighter. Its interesting to note however, that where I have seen them in Central Ontario, the latitude is similar to that of Geneva or La Rochelle, so relatively far south.

Posted
Its interesting to note however, that where I have seen them in Central Ontario, the latitude is similar to that of Geneva or La Rochelle, so relatively far south.

Thats because the magnetic north pole is just to the north of Canada about 80 degrees north and so the auroral oval extends further south over the Americas than on the Eurasian side, its further north on the Eurasian side. The magnetic north pole is drifting further north, it was as far south as about 70 degrees north around 1900

Posted

Hey Everyone...

Not seen them that time of year but i have seen something very strange,

It was cloudy 1 evening but there were breaks in the cloud, the sun was setting and the reflection on the clouds had all the different colours of the rainbow on them, all the clouds on the sky were multi-coulored, what is this called?? Does anyone know? Has anyone seen this before??

Posted

Posted
Hey Everyone...

Not seen them that time of year but i have seen something very strange,

It was cloudy 1 evening but there were breaks in the cloud, the sun was setting and the reflection on the clouds had all the different colours of the rainbow on them, all the clouds on the sky were multi-coulored, what is this called?? Does anyone know? Has anyone seen this before??

If it was summer then as Shuggs has said, could be Noctilucent Cloud but the rainbow colours suggest it could have been rarer Nacreous Cloud.

I've only ever seen them once on a bitter cold February evening - stunningly beautifull.

Posted
If it was summer then as Shuggs has said, could be Noctilucent Cloud but the rainbow colours suggest it could have been rarer Nacreous Cloud.

I've only ever seen them once on a bitter cold February evening - stunningly beautifull.

Welldone, thats them...now i know, what a sight it was, i'll never forget it :D

Posted

So am I the only one that`s seen the northern lights in summer in britain :D

I sure some of you folk from Scotland stand a better chance.

This is very interesting because just once though much cloudier than that,It didn`t look like northern lights as these were strips of light similar to that and to the west,not too sure though as there was alot of cloud about but it did look different.

S9.

Posted

Problem with viewing aurora during summer is the lack of dark sky and the further north you go the worse it gets. In winter there is something like a 14 hour window of good darkness whereas in summer there is virtually none so any aurora would have to arrive at the right time, be strong enough to be visible (Kp 7 or above) and you would need a clear sky to boot!

All that said, I have seen a bright aurora at sunset during October and the sky was definitely not dark (it developed into a full overhead corona later :) ) Aurora watching is very much about being in the right place at the right time.

Posted

Off course longer daylight in scotland wouldn`t be favourable at all,what about the winter months,I`ve never seen them during that time.

I`m lucky here because of living in the country with no street lights, and it`s perfect for observing.

You`re right about being in the right place at the right time though.

That time they were to the north and mainly red curtains of light.

S9.

Posted

Well we normally see something around October (I know quite a few people have - I have not managed it yet, despite owning a very nice top of the range telescope!), though I've a sneaky suspicion there was an event in late summer at some point.. but I just cannot remember when.

However I have had the pleasure of watching the Aurora in Iceland in March :-)

This was taken in Sligo in October....

aurora,0.jpg

Posted
Off course longer daylight in scotland wouldn`t be favourable at all,what about the winter months,I`ve never seen them during that time.

I`m lucky here because of living in the country with no street lights, and it`s perfect for observing.

You`re right about being in the right place at the right time though.

That time they were to the north and mainly red curtains of light.

S9.

Have been lucky enough to see the Northern Lights a few times in NW Scotland, mainly in October, nothing too flash, a green glow and beams of light gently pulsating but also seen Nacreous Cloud once or twice during the last few summers in South Yorks, just wish we could get up to NW Scotland more & at the right time!

Posted

Keep an eye on the pinned Aurora Prediction Thread:

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=14968

That will give you early warning about when it's worth popping outside in the dark and looking north :)

Posted
Have been lucky enough to see the Northern Lights a few times in NW Scotland, mainly in October, nothing too flash, a green glow and beams of light gently pulsating but also seen Nacreous Cloud once or twice during the last few summers in South Yorks, just wish we could get up to NW Scotland more & at the right time!

Hi snow bunny interesting that you also have seen the nacreous cloud it was a long while ago now that I had seen it and it was quite a stormy night too, just a year or 2 after seeing my 1st ever aurora in march 1986 which was stunning.

S9

Posted

When i first moved up here on 1st october 2002 i was living in a caravan and had brought one of the dogs with me (the others and the family stayed south for 6 weeks to get rid of the house etc) and every night i took sasha for a walk along the lane. There were no street lights and i had been here about 2 weeks when i saw my first northern lights in the UK (seen them in norway many moons ago). It was just like a white 'search light' so wasn't sure until i asked the next day. after that i saw them another 5 or 6 times all in october ranging from pure green sky to the white ribbon with the dancing rainbow lights in them :nonono:

i didn't have a camera at the time :blink:

Posted
Hi snow bunny interesting that you also have seen the nacreous cloud it was a long while ago now that I had seen it and it was quite a stormy night too, just a year or 2 after seeing my 1st ever aurora in march 1986 which was stunning.

S9

Thinking back I'm pretty sure the press reported the Nacreous Cloud and said it was due to ice crystals - would this have happened in summer or is my ailing memory playing tricks on me again?!

Posted
i didn't have a camera at the time :)

Who needs a camera when you can see the real thing :)

Thinking back I'm pretty sure the press reported the Nacreous Cloud and said it was due to ice crystals - would this have happened in summer or is my ailing memory playing tricks on me again?!

The time I saw this must of been in the winter but I have no idea which month it was.

Perhaps someone on here could tell us more what time of year we see this.

Great name by the way.

Edited by Snowyowl9