Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Official: this summer is the longest, hottest ever

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Is this the 'UKGW' that we've been hearing about over on the discussion thread I wonder?

Posted

Poorly written article.

The figures strongly back the argument that man-made global warming is having a considerable impact on the British Isles.
No they don't. On their own, these figures cannot possibily back this argument.
temperatures were mostly between 1.6C and 2.4C hotter.

I think McKie means "between 1.6C and 2.4C higher".

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Yes, the first part of winter 76-77 was pretty cold - at least by modern standards - though 78-79 was the really bad one.

Unfortunately, I think I'm right in saying there's little or no evidence for any correlation between good summers/bad winters.....and anyway, virtually all our summers are becoming good nowadays: it's a general warming trend, not an individual event

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
Poorly written article.

No they don't. On their own, these figures cannot possibily back this argument.

Definately. I think to back up their argument more convincingly that the world is warming due to AGW, they should use world-wide statistics rather than solely the UK's CET, the UK is just a tiny snapshot of what's happening temp-wise world-wide. For example talk about the temp records broken in Germany, USA etc., this past summer.

Posted
I think McKie means "between 1.6C and 2.4C higher".

My god, and I thought I was pedantic :) !!

Posted

"This summer was the longest continuous period of hot weather experienced in this country since records began"

Actually that is not quite correct.

The second half of May was below average, there was no 25C after the 9th of August and indeed no 30C at all during August. So it wasn't continous, there were breaks in it.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Was the second half of May not 0.5C above average.

The final three weeks of August had a CET of around 15.2C, which is around 1C below average.

Posted
"This summer was the longest continuous period of hot weather experienced in this country since records began"

Actually that is not quite correct.

The second half of May was below average, there was no 25C after the 9th of August and indeed no 30C at all during August. So it wasn't continous, there were breaks in it.

Blimy Kevin - see the post above yours! B) B)

Paul

PS I wouldn't have you any other way! :D

Edited by Dawlish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

the last record for the warmest continous summer period i see was in 1947 and we know what happend in that winter

lol sorry im just can't believe no-one has come out with that sooner. Of course to me that would be bogwash, I'm just surprised someone else hasnt said it yet B)

Posted
the last record for the warmest continous summer period i see was in 1947 and we know what happend in that winter

It was the preceding winter - 1946-7 - that was the cold winter. Winter 1947-8 was remarkably mild. (I assume you were thinking that winter 1947-8 was the cold one, if not, apologies).

Edited by Nick H

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

indeed i was. Doh. ahh well you cant be hot AND know everything i guess B)

Edited by i luv snow

Posted
Blimy Kevin - see the post above yours! B) B)

Paul

PS I wouldn't have you any other way! :D

:D

But this is the question, how do you define longest? It certainly wasn't conitinous.

What about 1949? We had maxima into the high 20s by mid April 1949 and were still getting into the 20s into early October. Is it set between two dates? What do they mean?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

From what I can see, I think it's a propoganda/sensationalist type article that intends to get people worried about global warming- or to sell well.

A scientific report, even if written by scientists who were strongly of the opinion that humans are causing global climate change, wouldn't have those kind of discrepancies in it. People are going to get sick of hearing about "global warming" if it's perpetrated by such exaggerated articles- indeed they probably have already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
Indeed it has been a very long summer starting from the very start of June and we've still got summer like conditions at times now.It especially felt like summer again this afternoon.

I don't recall August feeling all that summery for the majority of the time, but apart from that, I agree.