Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Vikings Volcanic Activity Thread

Guest Viking141

Guest Viking141

Having looked back through that particular seismographs readings for earlier today it looks as if something major has been going on.If you look at the recordings for the previous two four-hour blocks, major tremors were recorded during those periods as well so something has definitely been moving under that side of Vesuvius.

Posted

Any possibility that the 6.0 quake in the Straits of Gibraltar might have affected the fault-line further down towards Italy, I should imagine that if the seismograph from Vesuvius was correct, then there might be some concerned faces..I'd personally would love to be there right now and taking measurements from the vents that were still active when I visited in 2005.

Im also keeping a eye on the World Earthquake maps to see if the quake has been registered there, I guess the key point is to figure out how deep the quake was...from memory I remember reading about a quake that hit the southern side of Naples and caused the land to sink by a meter in places which was just before the 1950s eruption.

Its a pretty intresting scenario being played here, did you know theres also a Volcano underneath Rome, but its been inactive for millions of years and believed to be geologically dead.

If Vesuvius does erupt soon however, unless something major happens I think its fair to say that we'll see a substantial ash cloud rather than anything pyroclastic, unless she does a St Helens and the plus blocks again mid-eruption phase.

Edited by robl1200

Guest Viking141
Any possibility that the 6.0 quake in the Straits of Gibraltar might have affected the fault-line furthern down towards Italy, I should imagine that if the seismograph from Vesuvius was correct, then there might be some concerned faces..I'd personally would love to be there right now and taking measurements from the vents that were still active when I visited in 2005.

Hi robl, Grey Wolf is running a thread on just this possibility, it has been discussed here but you might find more detail on that thread. I would say its certainly a possibility.

Guest Viking141

The entire region seems to be in geological upset at the moment. Check out the link below for the webcam on Vulcano,another of Aeolian Islands. Seems to be steam and whatnot rising from the main crater. This volcano has not erupted since 1892!

Vulcano webcam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

increased activity on stromboli too - only a little but the seis graphs are showing an upturn.

shes easing off now

Edited by Red Raven

Guest Viking141

Indeed lets not forget Stromboli,she may not be done with us yet!!

Ive fired off a couple of e-mails to a couple of people at INGV so hopefully I will have some answers later to our questions, in particular I asked if the current activity could be related to the recent Azores earthquake, if the activity in the Vulcano webcam was unusual and if this mornings tremors under Vesuvius were significant.

Posted

Personally I think to have Stromboli blow open 2 new craters, Vulcano erupting which it hasnt since 1892, Etna blowing off steam..which isnt unusal i guess however, and apparently some acitivity beneath Vesuvius all at the same time is more than co-incidental, something is definitely happenning.

Guest Viking141
Personally I think to have Stromboli blow open 2 new craters, Vulcano erupting which it hasnt since 1892, Etna blowing off steam..which isnt unusal i guess however, and apparently some acitivity beneath Vesuvius all at the same time is more than co-incidental, something is definitely happenning.

Vulcano isnt erupting - yet! She is letting off steam however which may be a precursor. Vulcano hasnt done anything really since the late eighties. The last info I can find for her was from October 1999 which showed temps at the crater falling & fumarolic temps stable. Vulcano is a popular holiday resort,indeed the lava flows from Vulcanos offshoot, Vulcanello, are now covered in hotels!

Edited by Viking141

Guest Viking141

Some more seismographs for you - this time from the other side of the world. Andean volcanos seem quite active at the moment. Ive already mentioned Nevado Del Huila and Galeras in Colombia. Interestingly, two of Ecuadors Volcanos are showing signs of increased activity as well, Reventador and our old friend Tungurahua. Below are links to seismographs for these volcanos.

Ecuadorean volcanos

Click on "senales sismicas" and then pick the seismograph of your choice!

Edited by Viking141

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

All the Italian data suggests a general rocking, with ocasional pulses, my personal opinion is that one of the volcanoes other than Stromboli will erupt soon, though we should moonitor the activity for the next week, my personal opinion is that Vulcano or Vesuvius could produce the most powerful eruptions.

Posted

http://www.ct.ingv.it/Ufso/Default.asp?Pag...amp;Refresh=180

Correct me if i am wrong, but i believe that Vulcano is letting off steam from two vents, or that could be the other Island, i believe this is good news for an impending eruption because pressure has two vents to escape from.

Activity look to be picking up again at Vesuvius, not very intense but it is constant.

Activity is deffinitely picking up again at Flegeri.

I have just done some cross referencing from yesterday, and Maltese had a intense burst of seismic activity for around five minutes at the same time that Vesuvius started going wild.

Activity has been picking up again at Ishtia today.

The south crater of Flegrei has also been showing an increase in activity, some moderat intense burst there.

Etna does'nt seem to be doing much at the moment.

Reventador and our old friend Tungurahua do seem to be showing an increase in activity, though Reventador looks the most dangerous at the moment.

Guest Viking141

Hi SB.Yes it does seem that the whole area is grumbling away and you do wonder if this is going to induce something. Not sure about Vulcano. The steam etc at the top is definitely coming from the crater. There is also something lower down but whether that is coming from some sort of fissure or its just coming from the village itself isnt clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

The Italians seem to think it's all settling down now. Stromboli's output has slowed ,if not stopped so it's just a case of monitoring now......unless we get another 'tremor' from the subduction zone unsettling things again....

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

Quite a little swarm of small earthquakes recently across Greece and Turkey which may have set things off.

Earthquake at St Helens which was quite near the surface and interestingly at yellowstone.

MAG UTC DATE-TIME LAT LON DEPTH Region

2.9 2007/02/25 10:58:07 46.196 -122.190 0.9 MOUNT ST. HELENS AREA, WASHINGTON

2.6 2007/02/28 09:46:03 44.651 -110.259 5.1 YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING

2.5 2007/02/28 08:54:43 44.647 -110.257 1.8 YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING

2.9 2007/02/28 05:45:01 44.651 -110.251 1.8 YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING

Status remains green at Yellowstone and long valley so not much to worry about there.

Colima Mexico ,Erta Ale ETHIOPIA ,Fourpeaked Alaska ,Nyiragongo central africa ,Popocatepetl Mexico , Poas costa rica ,Villarrica Chile all on yellow status.

Volcano statuses

Still increased activity at teide on tenerife although the latest report suggests no real magma intrusion.

Watching Etna closely now.

Posted

It's not strictly about volcanoes, but there's an interesting article on the Beeb's website about research on an area between the Cape Verdes and the mid-Atlantic Ridge that doesn't appear to have proper crust. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6405667.stm

This is the team's own website. It's aimed at children, but might have some interesting information.

http://www.noc.soton.ac.uk/gg/classroom@sea/JC007/

Posted

Would be intresting to see if the full moon has any effect on Stomboli in the coming 2 days, I remember watching a documentary about linking the Lunar phases with volcanic eruptions and on Stromboli they recorded a significant chance in "character" whenever there was a full or close to full Moon.

Posted

It looks like all the Italian volcanoes have calmed down for the moment, though Etna and Vulcano are releasing gas.

Does anybody have a link to the Greek volcanoes?????

Posted

Hi have been reading all thease posts for days .. I just had to say wow thankyou for such informative posts and all that hard work you have done finding out information..

Just a quick question all this activity is it normal? does this sort of thing go on all the time without people like me knowing about it?

It does seem to me that the earth is grumbling away and somethings going to give soon be it an euruption or earthquake...

thanks for all the info please keep it coming

lol kaz x

Edited by kaz

Guest Viking141

Hi all.

Now that the excitement over Stromboli and the surrounding area seems to have quietened down somewhat, I will shortly be doing another update of global activity - hopefully tomorrow.

Kaz - many thanks for your kind comments, I hope many others have enjoyed the roller coaster over the past few days, I suspect this thread will be rather busy if we get a major eruption!! As far as I am aware this activity is not particularly unusual and it is not unusual to get bursts of activity like this. Up until a couple of weeks ago things had been relatively quiet on the volcano front. Information from the USGS suggests that the long term pattern of volcanic activity is relatively stable,with no marked increase in activity.

SB - I will see what I can find out on Greek volcanos.

The next area of interest may well be South America. As i have already said, many of the Andean volcanos, particularly those in Ecuador and Colombia, seem to be very agitated at the moment so this is certainly an area to watch.

Guest Viking141

Greek Volcanos

Greece has 6 known volcanos that have been active in the current geological (Holocene) era.

Methana

Methana is a complex of lava domes on the NE coast of the Peloponessus. The last known eruption was in circa 256 BC, although there were reports of a minor explosive eruption in August 1922 which has not been confirmed.

Milos

A collection of stratovolcanic cones on the island of Milos and surrounding islands. Last known eruption was circa 140AD.

Santorini

The most famous of Greek volcanos and still very active. Last major eruption was in 1950. The whole area is still highly active and further eruptions are likely.

Nisyros

Easternmost of the Greek volcanos. A relatively young stratovolcano formed within the last 150,000 years. Last known eruption was in 1888. This volcano is highly hydrothermically active with hot springs along the coast of the island and intense fumarolic activity in the crater. Eruptions from this volcano have all been of category VEI2.

Yali

Yali is a small volcanic island between Nisyros and Kos and has not been known to have erupted in historical time.

Kos

Again, another volcanic island which has not erupted in historic time. There is some minor fumarolic activity on this island.

Edited by Viking141

Posted

Wow, i had thought that the volcanoes in this region were more active.

Guest Viking141
Wow, i had thought that the volcanoes in this region were more active.

The whole area is geologically very active but this tends to manifest itself in earthquake activity rather than volcanic activity. Turkey is the same. Several volcanos but only one has been recently active,Mount Ararat, and that was as long ago as 1884.

Edited by Viking141

Posted

Flegrei and Ischia seem to be recording the most activity at the moment.

Did you get an answer back form the email you sent???????

Posted
Turkey is the same. Several volcanos but only one has been recently active,Mount Ararat, and that was as long ago as 1884.

Crap joke time....Mount Ararat, the classic arc volcano!! Snigger.