Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Will it ever get cold?

Posted

Cannot answer for Abingdon, but Witney - 11miles NW of Abingdon had approx 1/2 inch this am.

Have a feeling I have put this in the wrong string!

Edited by da_bish

Posted

210107 - Heswall - 2

230107 - Edinburgh - 4

240107 - Wolverhampton - 3

Provisional results for the above:

Heswall: SNOW

Edinburgh: SNOW + FROST

Wulverumptun: SNOW + FROST

Posted

I can confirm that the above results have verified, though the Edinburgh result for frost did require adjudicator's discretion regarding choice of sites. The "ultra-urban" site was NOT below freezing; out at Costerphine (which claims, implausibly, to be at 900' ASL - I'm pretty sure that unless a life size replica of the Sears Tower has been erected in the last three weeks that's up there with the wildest N-W overestimation of snow depth) it was. Let's hope the digimom is more accurate than the altimeter...

Anyway, Canadian Coops has made hay whilst the north wind has blown, or made snowmen perhaps?

post-364-1169776786_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Was anyone expecting that ppn to be heading in through Lancashire and south towards Birmingham?

It seems to be intensifying.

http://www2.buienradar.nl/maps/zoom.php (+ the others we already know and love)

Posted

I see that I have mysteriously stolen Steve Murr's 'E' on the results chart. May I point out I only partake in amphetamine abuse.

Posted
I see that I have mysteriously stolen Steve Murr's 'E' on the results chart. May I point out I only partake in amphetamine abuse.

I had clocked Stev's missing vowel, but hadn't noticed that it had yokelised your good self.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Haven't looked at this for ages so what a pleasant surprise to see the ageing defender (me ) in there at number 7 with only 4 games played.

Everything to play for on this one, Barry, 12 points and not even half time yet.

T.M

Posted

i know this is off topic a bit but this is on the met weather channel

World weather impacts

Multi-coloured snow falls on Siberia

02 Feb 2007

Multi-coloured snow has fallen in the Omsk region of Siberia, reports Novosti on February 2nd.

The Russian news agency states that orange and yellow snow fell over a 1,500 square kilometer (1,000 square miles) radius, which is populated by more than 27,000 people.

Experts have established that the substances in the snow are not toxic, although the iron content was found to be four times higher than it should be.

Authorities have warned residents not to melt the snow for water purposes and to avoid stepping on it wherever possible, as the cause of the phenomena is not yet known.

An emergency service official told Novosti that they have made inquiries to Kazakhstan about the possibility of industrial pollution from the neighbouring country.

Posted

Latest updates...

Call yourselves forecasters: six of you managed to pick the current cold spell (tut), including Mr Cox (well, he had to back his "home twenty"), who also remarkably managed to land his inadvertent Dundee joker. To be fair, re the first point, the compiler didn't exactly cover himself in glory either as the only two options available for last week were Irish Sea coast locations. Hey ho.

Quite why Dundee, notoriously snowless, should be the second most popular punt I do not know: second only to the snow capital of...

King's Lynn!

I ask you...rabble...anyway, the latest results make great reading if your name starts with a 'J' or if you have a canadian reference in it. If you're called, say, SM2006, then the fat lady is already shrieking her head off. Oh well, only another 9 months or so to wait for next year's possible re-run.

post-364-1171156808_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
Latest updates...

Call yourselves forecasters: six of you managed to pick the current cold spell (tut), including Mr Cox (well, he had to back his "home twenty"), who also remarkably managed to land his inadvertent Dundee joker. To be fair, re the first point, the compiler didn't exactly cover himself in glory either as the only two options available for last week were Irish Sea coast locations. Hey ho.

Quite why Dundee, notoriously snowless, should be the second most popular punt I do not know: second only to the snow capital of...

King's Lynn!

I ask you...rabble...anyway, the latest results make great reading if your name starts with a 'J' or if you have a canadian reference in it. If you're called, say, SM2006, then the fat lady is already shrieking her head off. Oh well, only another 9 months or so to wait for next year's possible re-run.

post-364-1171156808_thumb.png

Look at the Met Office average snow lying days map 1971-2000. I think that you will find that Dundee does rather better than most UK low ground cities with the exception of Aberdeen. Apart from this year [which has been a disaster max depth 1cm approx]I think that this is even more pronounced since 2000.

Posted
Look at the Met Office average snow lying days map 1971-2000. I think that you will find that Dundee does rather better than most UK low ground cities with the exception of Aberdeen. Apart from this year [which has been a disaster max depth 1cm approx]I think that this is even more pronounced since 2000.

I'd agree with you re the hinterlands, and the point I was making was not really clarified, but the E coast of Scotland around St Andrew's Bay is, if memory serves me right, not overly blessed, particularly in the broad context of E/NE Scotland. For sure there is a northerly "advantage" compared to much of the UK - hence your comment that "compared to most lowland cities" it does well is not without foundation, but the proximity to the sea neutralises much of this advantage. In addition, Dundee is well shielded in most directions from incoming weather; hence why, as you say, Aberdeen tends to fare better. For sure, Dundee would probably be a better bet than, say, Blackpool, but north of the M4 and away form the west coast pretty much any other UK city would be at least the equal of Dundee for snow probability.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
I'd agree with you re the hinterlands, and the point I was making was not really clarified, but the E coast of Scotland around St Andrew's Bay is, if memory serves me right, not overly blessed, particularly in the broad context of E/NE Scotland. For sure there is a northerly "advantage" compared to much of the UK - hence your comment that "compared to most lowland cities" it does well is not without foundation, but the proximity to the sea neutralises much of this advantage. In addition, Dundee is well shielded in most directions from incoming weather; hence why, as you say, Aberdeen tends to fare better. For sure, Dundee would probably be a better bet than, say, Blackpool, but north of the M4 and away form the west coast pretty much any other UK city would be at least the equal of Dundee for snow probability.

Hi SF.

I was brought up in Highland Region and then the Central Highlands [both snowy areas by UK standards] and still consider them to be my home territory. Therefor I will only make a half hearted defence of Dundee's snow record.

I have now spent 20 Winters in Dundee and none have been snowless or until this one nearly snowless. I cannot say the same for Winters I have spent in London [2 snowless], Hull, Edinburgh and even ones in Aberdeen and Peterhead from 88 to 90. It did snow in Peterhead as far South as the outskirts of Aberdeen in May however I think in 1990.

Though the narrow strip of Dundee Eastwards from the city centre to Broughty Ferry may have a comparible climate to St Andrews Bay most of Dundee to the North and West differs quite substantially. My fantastic [in case the wife comes in and reads this]Mother-In-Law retired to N.E. Fife some years ago and has on average less than half the snow falling days that I record and an even smaller percentage of days with lying snow.

Anyway we can agree to differ and can I thank you for setting up the competition that I have enjoyed participating in despite the poor returns from my East coast mid Winter snow forecasts.

Posted
Hi SF.

I was brought up in Highland Region and then the Central Highlands [both snowy areas by UK standards] and still consider them to be my home territory. Therefor I will only make a half hearted defence of Dundee's snow record.

I have now spent 20 Winters in Dundee and none have been snowless or until this one nearly snowless. I cannot say the same for Winters I have spent in London [2 snowless], Hull, Edinburgh and even ones in Aberdeen and Peterhead from 88 to 90. It did snow in Peterhead as far South as the outskirts of Aberdeen in May however I think in 1990.

Though the narrow strip of Dundee Eastwards from the city centre to Broughty Ferry may have a comparible climate to St Andrews Bay most of Dundee to the North and West differs quite substantially. My fantastic [in case the wife comes in and reads this]Mother-In-Law retired to N.E. Fife some years ago and has on average less than half the snow falling days that I record and an even smaller percentage of days with lying snow.

Anyway we can agree to differ and can I thank you for setting up the competition that I have enjoyed participating in despite the poor returns from my East coast mid Winter snow forecasts.

Spot on Norrance...

Dundee is 8-10 miles inland and normally fares well in breakdown scenarios where temps are more marginal at the coast )Aberdeen doesn't do as well as Dundee does in breakdowns) Nor does Aberdeen do better than Dundee in an Easterly, just ask Zerouali_Lives who lives in Aberdeen. Northerlies bring dry and cold weather to Dundee and brings snow to Aberdeen.

I actually have to laugh at this comment SF- " Quite why Dundee, notoriously snowless, should be the second most popular punt I do not know" It's notoriously snowless to yourself and no one else, because I can assure you it's not the case.

It's ok to sit back and talk about what you think you know, hundreds of miles away and to talk about St. Andrews bay which doesn't really have anything to do with Dundee. St Andrews gets a lot less snow than Dundee, and that is a fact. It is milder there in general. Dundee is not on the coast.. it's 8-10 miles inland as mentioned earlier. Places further East like Broughty Ferry and Carnoustie get less snow than here.

The highest point in the City of Dundee is 174 M above sea level. It all makes a difference.

We live here SF, you don't. Perhaps you could take what we're saying on board. ;)

OH BTW- this winter has been crap so far, perhaps the worst for 10 years for here.

Edited by Sawel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

HI SF,

Just noticed my leap into third place,

Ah good old Dundee by 2. I just had a feeling.

The 8th of Feb for us guys in Dublin is the most likely time for us to get snow.

I am well cheered up today.

Posted
Spot on Norrance...

Dundee is 8-10 miles inland and normally fares well in breakdown scenarios where temps are more marginal at the coast )Aberdeen doesn't do as well as Dundee does in breakdowns) Nor does Aberdeen do better than Dundee in an Easterly, just ask Zerouali_Lives who lives in Aberdeen. Northerlies bring dry and cold weather to Dundee and brings snow to Aberdeen.

I actually have to laugh at this comment SF- " Quite why Dundee, notoriously snowless, should be the second most popular punt I do not know" It's notoriously snowless to yourself and no one else, because I can assure you it's not the case.

It's ok to sit back and talk about what you think you know, hundreds of miles away and to talk about St. Andrews bay which doesn't really have anything to do with Dundee. St Andrews gets a lot less snow than Dundee, and that is a fact. It is milder there in general. Dundee is not on the coast.. it's 8-10 miles inland as mentioned earlier. Places further East like Broughty Ferry and Carnoustie get less snow than here.

The highest point in the City of Dundee is 174 M above sea level. It all makes a difference.

We live here SF, you don't. Perhaps you could take what we're saying on board. :(

OH BTW- this winter has been crap so far, perhaps the worst for 10 years for here.

Sawel, I obviously must defer to your local knowledge, though I am amused at the notion that one has to live somewhere to know anything about a place. When I was last in Dundee I think it's fair to say that most of the city was <100m, and I'm not sure that as a port Dundee can strictly claim to be "inland" either.

Perhaps you need to speak to the Scottish Exec as well, unless some bizarre climatic phenomenon really does exist between Arbroath, what 10 miles ENE, and Leuchars, 2 miles or so south (see page 9 of the link below). Strange that two of the three least snowy locations in Scotland that they found are in the general environs of Dundee. Aberdeen, as this data shows, is markedly more snowy.

www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/156666/0042099.pdf

you might want to tap this guy up as well...

http://www.blurtit.com/q678444.html

...ooh, and this one too...http://www.johnstoa.co.uk/rivertay.htm...I'm assuming he does live there so his views presumably carry more weight with you, he mentions that:

The River Tay estuary and the vista of the Fife coastline as seen from the top patio one bright snowy day in February. Dundee enjoys a favourable micro-climate with mild winters, low rainfall, and infrequent snowfall nowadays, to be enjoyed when it comes along.

Anyway, fay on me for suggesting that Dundee might be relatively snowless - particularly for its location - and apologies if I have upset local sensibilities. If the competition runs again next year, and should snowy Dundee be included, doubtless more people will follow John Cox's lead in laying their joker on Dundee.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

im hoping for a coldish spell early march, it has appeared on 2 0r 3 runs, possible northwesterly or cold lows

www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2881.html

www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn3001.html

you never know we had snow in stafford of a n ortherly from 2-5 March last year

Posted
As someone who has worked in and around the North East of Scotland for many years I can onfirm that even at its most inland Dundee is no more than 3 or 4 miles from the coast.

I think that this would very much depend on if you count the Tay Estuary as a coast. I would consider it as being a river at least West of Broughty Castle.

ps Arbroath is approximately 18 miles East of Dundee and Leuchars is about 7/8 miles South East of the Tay Bridge.

The person quoted on SF's post must have been trying to sell the place to mild lovers. I can assure him [and everyone else] that this is not always the case though by Scottish standards it is relatively dry.

Posted

Many residents in the "notoriously snowless" town of Dundee woke up to a covering of strange white stuff this morning. No one knows what this mysterious white substance is and Council chiefs have called many City Councils in England for advice but they were unable to help as their cities woke up to rain.

As Duran Duran once sang- No-No-Notorious

Posted
Many residents in the "notoriously snowless" town of Dundee woke up to a covering of strange white stuff this morning. No one knows what this mysterious white substance is and Council chiefs have called many City Councils in England for advice but they were unable to help as their cities woke up to rain.

As Duran Duran once sang- No-No-Notorious

Sawel, if it makes you happy I shall rechristen Dundee the snowiest place in Britain. There - "welcome to Dundee, the snowiest place in Britain (on the lower reaches of the River Dee)".

Posted
Sawel, if it makes you happy I shall rechristen Dundee the snowiest place in Britain. There - "welcome to Dundee, the snowiest place in Britain (on the lower reaches of the River Dee)".

You said you've been in Dundee before right? If you really have been then you'd surely know that The Dee does not run through Dundee.

Dundee city centre is low lying, but the North and Northwest certainly isn't with the highest point in the entire city being 174 metres above sea level.

"Dundee is a small city and most parts can be easily reached in 20-30 minutes by bicycle from the city centre. Dundee is fairly hilly when travelling North/South but is flat when travelling East/West........................."

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/general/travel/cycle.htm

No doubt the city centre and low-lying areas along the river see little snow most years, but that's certainly not the case the further North you go in the city as demonstrated just last week.

Posted
You said you've been in Dundee before right? If you really have been then you'd surely know that The Dee does not run through Dundee.

Dundee city centre is low lying, but the North and Northwest certainly isn't with the highest point in the entire city being 174 metres above sea level.

"Dundee is a small city and most parts can be easily reached in 20-30 minutes by bicycle from the city centre. Dundee is fairly hilly when travelling North/South but is flat when travelling East/West........................."

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/general/travel/cycle.htm

No doubt the city centre and low-lying areas along the river see little snow most years, but that's certainly not the case the further North you go in the city as demonstrated just last week.

Sorry, Tayside...I had lost the will to live back there.

I'm amused that somewhere can be hilly moving in one direction but not hilly moving at right angles to that direction: presumably that doesn't hold true if you happen to travelling from W-E across the square mile or so right at the northern periphery that is at the dizziness inducing height of 550'.

Edited by Stratos Ferric