Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Leonids:2006 Possible outburst?

Posted

Mark this date in your diary: Sunday 19th November 2006 at 4.44 UT.

For once, Europe is in the favoured postion of a possible outburst from the Leonids meteor shower with possible meteor rates of 80+ per hour.

The Leonid meteor shower is debris left from comet Tempel-Tuttle, which has an orbital period of around 33 years. The peak period for the Leonids is around November 17th-18th when the Earth crosses the stream left by the comet. Every so often, the Earth passes through a more denser area of cometary debris left by a previous passage of the comet and when the Earth passes through these areas, spectacular meteor showers and storms are possible such as what happened in 1966 and in 1999 when meteor rates per hour can run into the thousands.

The name Leonid comes from the constellation Leo as this where the meteors appear to radiate from. Right in the centre of the curve of the Sickle of Leo

On this occasion, the Earth will pass through an area left from 1932 passage of the comet and predictions are for enhanced meteor rates but storm levels are not expected (thousands per hour)

The moon will not intefere with viewing and here's hoping for clear skies.

Hopefully the predictions will prove correct or even better still an underestimate.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Thanks for the info Mr D.

I've posted a note in the NW calendar for the preceeding Saturday.

Posted

I wouldn't hold your breath there!!!! For the past three years here in Kent we have had total cloud cover...I really should go to the bookies and put money on it - it's the one night of the year guaranteed to be completely miserable :(

Posted
You'll be able to see anywhere in the UK as long as you have clear skies

I remember the 1999 show, standing at the top of a local hill watching them. There was a couple up there with their young children oohing and ahhing and I mentioned they would be a bit tired for school later in the day. Their dad said,"They can go to school any day, this may be their one chance in a lifetime to see this!"

It was absolutely fantastic, brilliant white and green meteors with red trails lasting up to 30 seconds. I even saw one abruptly change direction and skip off the Earth's atmosphere and on out into space again. If this year's show is anything like 1/4 as good it will be well worth staying out to watch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

The first time my partner 'knowingly' saw a meteor was from the Leonids (in 1999) and there were 2 or 3 bursts of meteors which were green, purple and red and ran, it appeared,from horizon to horizon. I've been skywatching (casualy) since I was a nipper but had never seen anything as spectacular as that show! It was only 10 at night as well so if you can't stop up, or get up early for them, do pop out for 20mins or so before bedtime and you never know you coulkd strike lucky!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Just seen a spectacular fireball meteor in the direction of Leo. Probably an early entrant into this years show.

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Okay I've got Sunday 19th down for a Dull day. Normally happens.

Posted

wow cool. I love watching this sort of stuff and so does the miss's so we'll definately be up for that one!Its strange I should see this today cos a fortnight ago today, driving back from peterbro' I saw a beautiful green comet/ metiorite(not sure which one :D ) and the miss's didnt beleive me. :D

thanks for the heads up mr Data

SHU

Edited by south_holland_uk

I saw a beautiful green comet/ metiorite(not sure which one :lol: )

Good point, i was wondering how you distinguish a comet or meteor(ite)

"A meteoroid is matter revolving around the sun or any object in interplanetary space that is too small to be called an asteroid or a comet."

http://www.solarviews.com/eng/meteor.htm

Done some research and best explaination i can find incase others wonder difference...

Posted
wow cool. I love watching this sort of stuff and so does the miss's so we'll definately be up for that one!Its strange I should see this today cos a fortnight ago today, driving back from peterbro' I saw a beautiful green comet/ metiorite(not sure which one :blush: ) and the miss's didnt beleive me. :doh:

thanks for the heads up mr Data

SHU

If it rattles across the sky like an express train then it's a fair bet it's meteorite or a piece of space junk. Satelites move much slower and may take a minute or two to cross the sky.

If it hangs around for a few days, weeks or even months slowly moving against the star background then it's either a comet or a planet. A quick check with binocs will reveal a comet as a fuzzy blob and usually though not always has a tail.

Posted

Saw a few good meteors last night whilst the sky was clear.

From Spaceweather....

Although the shower is expected to peak sharply around 0445 on Nov. 19th, keep an eye on the sky at other times, too. Leonids may appear in fits and spurts all weekend long. The best time to watch, generally speaking, is during the hours before dawn when the constellation Leo is high in the sky.

post-1596-1163756312_thumb.png

Posted

Likewise kar999. I peeked outside last night for a few minutes around midnight and saw a couple in the clear sky that was made all the better by having no moonlight. They weren't spetacular but still visible despite streetlights. If Sunday morning is clear I'll see if I can get some photos as I now have a cable release and a wide angle lens.

Posted

I had never seen anything like I did last night whilst out on a golf course Leonid hunting. We were out for about 40 mins, and at approximately 11:20pm, a fireball was spotted, and fragmented into pieces, resembling something like the shuttle crash a few years back. It seemed so close too! That was the only thing I saw for the duration, but boy was it worth it!

Daz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
I had never seen anything like I did last night whilst out on a golf course Leonid hunting. We were out for about 40 mins, and at approximately 11:20pm, a fireball was spotted, and fragmented into pieces, resembling something like the shuttle crash a few years back. It seemed so close too! That was the only thing I saw for the duration, but boy was it worth it!

Daz

I suspect the first 'group' that my sig. other saw was the result of a similar breakup as there must have been 7 or 8 bright peices that travelled together in the same way (apart fron the colours of green through purple it could have been the shuttle crash).

Here's hoping for broken cloud/clear skies this weekend!!

Posted

Anybody able and planning to do a bit of the old keeping-the-camera-on-the-bulb-setting photography?

Posted

Got beautiful clear skies here tonight, going to have a look around midnight tonight!

Daz

What I saw was something smaller than this

fireball_400x300.jpg

Edited by Dazmaster75