Hot?
IGNORED

Scottish Mountain Winter Snowfall

kippure

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Looks like there could be a decent dumping of snow up there on Sunday.

Sunday 06-12z

post-3392-1167397915_thumb.png

Sunday 12-18z

post-3392-1167397922_thumb.png

EDIT:

Mountain forecast from the Met Office also suggests snow near the tops on Saturday, Monday and Tuesday.

Forecast for daylight hours for Saturday

Sunshine and occasional showers, the showers mainly in west and falling as snow above 8 or 900m. Temporary blizzard conditions possible on highest peaks.

Outlook for Sunday

Heavy rain, with snow above 1000m, followed by blustery showers. Gales, severe at times.

Outlook for Monday

Sunshine and snow showers, accompanied by strong to gale westerly winds. Freezing level near 500m.

Outlook for Tuesday

Sunny intervals and occasional sleet or snow showers with strong west to northwesterly winds. Freezing level 600m rising to 900m.

Posted

Going to be horrendous conditions on the mountains over the New Year period. Wind was a sustained 85mph at the Tunnel of the Funicular on CairnGorm this morning! Sounds like one of those days someone is going to come out of the Daylodge and find their car upside down! :rolleyes:

(seriously it happens...)

Posted

Geoff Monk is going for heavy snow and winds of up to 110mph! (www.mwis.org.uk)

I'm considering going up into the mountains on monday, will wait until sunday night to check the forecast though.

Posted

Geoff Monk's forecasts are the best on the web in my view, so take heed would be my advice. 2 climbers/hikers have already died from the last severe storm in the Cairngorms.

John

Posted
Geoff Monk's forecasts are the best on the web in my view, so take heed would be my advice. 2 climbers/hikers have already died from the last severe storm in the Cairngorms.

John

Easily, i use them every week and the accuracy is incredible!

Going into the mountains tommorrow:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?cli...0000&addr1=

1100m, Should be a bit of snow about ;)

Forecast is erm, fun:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mount...sthighland.html

http://www.mwis.org.uk/mountain/WH.PDF

I will be taking pictures of course, got a lot of equipment to carry as well tommorrow though :lol:

Posted

Easily, i use them every week and the accuracy is incredible!

what would you expect from an ex met man?!!

Posted

lol, the met are not exactly good at mountain forecasts though :lol: (i dont know how good they were in the past)

But yeah, met forecasters are not bad ;)

Posted

Changed our minds for today, going for

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?cli...p;keepicon=true

901m

and

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?cli...p;keepicon=true

1074m

Going to be chilly and snowy :lol:

Gators,Ice axe and crampons as well as a load of other stuff and of course the camera are all packed!

That is we can get there dodging the fallen trees..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

looks like there is a fair amount of snow at glencoe

http://www.glencoelive.com/access2200.html

Posted

Yeah you could say there is a bit of snow up there.

We only managed the one mountain yesterday - Beinn Dorain 1074m.

It was constant blizzards from half-way up from when we got into the corrie and then the summit it was constant whiteout, it was quite scary considering we could barely even see the edge,if you have ever been on the A82 you will know which mountain Beinn Dorain is, maybe not know it's name but you will have seen how steep the sides are;

Cnv00018c.jpg

Not my photo, just one from google. :lol:

That and the 50mph winds with hail smacking off my face wasn't fun :unknw: It was hard to tell how much snow there was as it was all covered in an inch or more of ice, needed the crampons and ice axe from pretty low down.

Anyway, it would have been an easy munro if the weather wasn't so bad :)

Only took one or 2 photos from lower down because it was so bad, will post piccies later :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

hi Ross, i have been up the A82 a few times the scenery is beautiful, Beinn Dorain slopes are spectacular i like the way the railway line follows the contours of the lower slopes.I was up snowdon on saturday also in very bad weather we had everything from rain, sleet, snow,hail and 70mph winds!! who said our weather is boring.

Posted

Yeah the snow does look nice. I never had the chance to go up North yesterday but driving between Stirling and Perth you could see the mountains covered in snow from about 600m up. It just looks so nice. Shame that quite a bit will be lost with the heavy rains. Oh well.

Posted

Is everyone to busy looking at T+384? Right now something rather interesting is going on, take a look at the Rain Radar and the Western Highlands. Except it's only rain at low levels, red returns over the Nevis Range mountains and a temperature at 3700ft of -4c on Aonach Mor suggest that it's absolutely puking!!! :drunk:

The precipitation is edging into the Western fringes of the 'Gorms now, and if you take a look at the Drumochter webcam on Traffic Scotland, it is a sight to warm your hearts! :cold:

http://www.trafficscotland.org/views.asp?m...ralscotland.gif

At the moment it is -7c on the summit of CairnGorm Mountain and over at the Lecht (sadly the webcam doesnt update at night) the snow guns are blazing a base in preperation for the arrival of what is currently out west.

Keep up the snow dances!! :pardon:

Posted

:) -->

QUOTE(Ross B @ 12 Jan 2007, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The snows going quick :)

http://www.cairngormmountain.com/

Top up over the weekend though hopefuly.

:lol: at the gorm taking a hammering posts all over the net!!

Vast tracts of the mountain had less coverage than you would expect from a decent frost thanks to the strength of the wind. 90% of the snow that fell is on about 10% of the mountain. The largely cosmetic cover vanished quickly on Friday morning, but real gains have been made. Something of a base has been put down on the M1 and White Lady, various burn (thats a stream do you down South :lol: ) courses such as the Lady and Cas, plus the Cas Gunbarrel have filled in. That snow has now gone through a complete thaw/freeze cycle so there has already been a gain in base in some of the most key areas.

Fresh snow expected tomorrow and sunday. Will be skiing to the Mid Station with the Cas Tow and Funicular serving the middle runs, and top two tows for the top. M1 Poma track was there or there abouts and maybe possible if demand.

Posted

I wasn't saying it was rubbish for snowboarding/skiiing. I know well that there will still be plenty of snow in the runs!

Just commenting on the fact it was melting, which as you say if 90% of the cosmetic cover was washed away doesn't look good.

Hopefuly i'll be up snowboarding in a few weeks :blush:

Archived