Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Mountain Winter Snowfall

kippure

Posted

With all the differant winter forecasts , its safe to say that it will snow in scotland again this winter. Autumns over and good ridance to it. One sleety fall during the night for me..whoopi...

All i ask is that the snow gods make a harder attempt this winter and deliver the snow goods to us all.....

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A few hours early it's still Autumn. :) Should get some more Snow later on next week I reckon.

Posted
That all depends if you follow the meteorological winter of 1st Dec to 28th Feb, if you follow the real astrological winter from winter solstice to the spring equinox, then it's still 3 weeks to winter...but that's another thread for another day (or last year). ;)

..or whether you choose, which might be the most appropriate given the implicit point of the thread (snow in the mountain), to define it according to the actual weather. It's barely autumnal at present, let alone wintry.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Snowline was down to just below 900m in North Wales yesterday morning. A few inches on the tops of the Carneddau (Carnedd Llewellyn 1064m)

Edited by Hywel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
Monday 11th December. The Funicular and Ptarmigan tow will open for snowsports weather permitting.

Not looking too good for opening tomorrow:

post-3392-1165763085_thumb.jpg

Posted

Fresh snow coming in during the showers, and -5[c] at the top of CairnGorm this morning. Despite the savage thaw conditions later Sunday, a base remains in the Top Basin runs and its the wind preventing anything other than the funicular running at present, currently 75mph at the tunnel mouth of the funicular.

BTW that has the windchill nudging into the sub -30c 'Exposed Flesh Freezes' category!

Posted

New Webcam Alert! :lol:

gc-2006-12-11-13.00hrs.jpg

Live Image: http://glencoerouter.dyndns.org/netcam.jpg

There is a semi-streaming cam feed which updates every couple of seconds also available. Please visit the Glencoe website at http://www.glencoemountain.com for it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
thats a good one with that drift fence close in to get an idea of the depth.

The webcam seems to have been moved now.

Says the temp is 8.5 at 2200ft, with those temps and the rain it looks like a rapid thaw for the highland snow.

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted

Webcam is in the same place but zoomed right in on the centre of the image above. On the zoomed in image the two Top lifts can be seen going off the top of the image (centre), they follow a natural snowholding gully, and to the right is the foot of the Main Basin.

Stormforce winds will have helped drive snow into these areas to a depth well beyond that which actually fell. Open areas would have been largely scoured clear with just a cosmetic covering if that, which is now vanishing in the thaw. Torrential Rain and +9c at 2000ft equates to rapid thaw conditions, but there's already a consolidated base in those gullies under the recent accumulations.

It may be hard to believe but these violent storm cycles are as much friend as they are foe, this is the point where those that can get there heads around Scottish skiing sit and wait, hoping that the cycle completes itself quickly enough so that when the colder temps return, overall there has been a net gain in the consolidated base through the cycle. 3/4 of the snow that fell may go, but it's the extra 1/4 thats survived and added to the base that matters. :clap:

Posted

Don't forget all webcam links and live shots are pinned in this section here:

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showforum=38

If you find more - feel free to add the link/image.

Posted

Depending on the forecast i'll be up in the mountains on saturday. Hopefuly a lot of snow will fall before then but i doubt it will be that much.

Posted

rain.jpg

What remains after the monsoon - looking up Aonach Mor this morning where Goose Gully retains a good base and the upper Goose could be a goer for the weekend - snowshowers expected today and tomorrow, decision will depend on how the forecast pans out - due to re-open full time next weekend.

Posted

Alrighty, third weekend of the season for CairnGorm Mountain and they are now open daily for snowsports weather permitting. View from the top of the Ptarmigan Tow late morning on Sunday 17th Dec:

ptarmigan-2006-12-17.jpg

More: http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pi....php?pix_id=266

Posted

Too bad some of that snow is going to melt over this coming week. Hopefully there will still be some left and we will get some NW to bring some more snow. The worst scenario for the Scottish Ski industry would be this mild spell followed by raging SW.

It looks good up there. I'm just amazed at how the Cairngorm has had better skiing than most of Europe.

Posted

Had a butchers up CairnGorm Mountain on Saturday afternoon, with a firm base even with the limited snow fortunately didn't butcher my skis! Had the good skis out on each of the five days I've had this season on the 'Gorm and not a scratch as yet. Only limited terrain in the Top Basin on Saturday, the Funicular wasn't doing mid-station stops as the Cas Gunbarrel was deemed to icy to be safe for skiing back to the mid-station (rumour has it a member of ski patrol wiped out and landed in the Cas burn earlier in the day!! :whistling::rolleyes: ).

gorm_23rd_dec_06.jpg

More photos and a report at: http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pi....php?pix_id=268

Runs are narrow and the Ptarmigan Bowl only has a narrow track of snow that's been bashed out across the grass, but it sure wasn't thawing on Saturday, despite the temperature inversion and a reported temperature of +8[c] the snow and ground remained bomb proof, baffled quite a lot of the tourists as it didnt even feel cold!

Posted
Too bad some of that snow is going to melt over this coming week

Given the recent weather conditions (i.e. the last month or so) I'm actually surprised there's any snow at all in the Scottish ski resorts. Still, judging from the photos there seems to be enough for at least some skiing. Anyway, here's the synoptic chart for Hogmanay:

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/brack4a.gif

I'm not sure if this set-up will give any additional snowfall, but it looks pretty mild, wet , and windy to me and, I'd guess from looking at that chart, some thawing of lying snow as well. Hardly ideal skiing weather.

Edited by Peter Henderson