Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold spell - general discussion

Paul

Posted
Wow what a welcome sight that is Mick :)
yep better late then never. still reckon the warnings may be taken over by "flash warnings" when the snow eventually arrives. could be some localised disruption in favoured areas if the 70% is anything to go by

Posted
Oh yes, up to 15cm!? That's 6 inches. May have to tunnel out...

Must not get hopes up, must not get hopes up...

the thing is, "disruption" levels of snow are about 2 cm these days and 1 hour of snowfall qualifies as a blizzard.

remember , for the cities in the south this will probably be a rain event, and anywhere below 700ft , south of the pennines, this snow is expected to turn back to rain quite readily.

Posted
Oh yes, up to 15cm!? That's 6 inches. May have to tunnel out...

Must not get hopes up, must not get hopes up...

the thing is, "disruption" levels of snow are about 2 cm these days and 1 hour of snowfall qualifies as a blizzard.

remember , for the cities in the south this will probably be a rain event, and anywhere below 700ft , south of the pennines, this snow is expected to turn back to rain quite readily.

Posted
Wow what a welcome sight that is Mick :)

Certainly not in the bag yet Graupel :)

I feel that its all or nothing, an area stretching about 80 miles north-south will get some heavy snow (3''-6")... but outside this, amounts will be small... Ive just got a sneeky feeling that it will reach as far north as south yorkshire/linconshire before fizzling out as it pushes further north... :):):)

What are you thoughts on this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
Certainly not in the bag yet Graupel :)

I feel that its all or nothing, an area stretching about 80 miles north-south will get some heavy snow (3''-6")... but outside this, amounts will be small... Ive just got a sneeky feeling that it will reach as far north as south yorkshire/linconshire before fizzling out as it pushes further north... :):):)

What are you thoughts on this?

i totally agree with this..cant see anything special

Posted

Hi - whats the latest on the snow? Are things a bit more certain now? I don't really understand the models but enjoy reading about you all trying to work them out!

Whats the latest?

I see the Met office has issued a weather warning.........

Posted
I think this may be under stating it a bit perhaps.

There is lttle doubt if you are someone like me unfortunately too close to the coast (about 2 miles away) with onshore winds, it will be a total 'non-event' but for other southern and central areas of England, as the warnings suggest, there is the potential for some considerable accumulations of snow down to low levels as well.

The detail will still change yet of course - as t0 approaches, but if anything, as the latest UKMO data suggests, the situation is getting less marginal for some areas - especially north of the M4

Tamara

sorry Tamara i'm prob just being negative and bitter in advance, as i live in se london and i reckon a combination of the urban heat island effect and my being south of the river may conspire to wreck this one for me.

still, we had a nice taste the week before last, couple of cm, after which i said i was now satisfied and it needn't snow again this winter. now of course, i want another bite of the cherry and dreaming of another '91........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

That's interesting i only looked to check if there were any towering clouds, looks like a few strikes aswell. Can anybody confirm?

post-4726-1170767272_thumb.pngpost-4726-1170767322_thumb.png

Posted
I would be very happy if I lived in your location - irrespective of snow amounts (and you look favoured to get some) you will probably stay in the cold air throughout the period up to and perhaps including the weekend.

I am in the least favoured location for this set-up with little prospect of any snow beyond a few more flurries as I have now, and am waiting and hoping for the cold air to head south with time on the basis of continued rises of pressure to the north and the low pressure being forced ever further south

:)

Your right in what your saying Tamara but Id be annoyd if I dont get more than an inch of snow from this, because this is the only really set-up that favours my location (baring an easterly :) ) and from haveing so many let downs in the last 10 years, to haveing the most textbook/classic weather set-up fail would be so dissapointing.... :):)

Now Ive had my little moan, Im just guna remain doubtfull, that way I wont be too dissapointd if I miss out. Although Im allways joking about not wanting the south to see anysnow, I wish good look to you all.. we live in a c*** climate so, we all deserve to see some exciting weather!

Posted

Quite understand what you are saying :)

There is an increasing chance of much more interesting prospects for our corner of the country in the outlook period beyond the forthcoming wintry period further north. That '91 scenario is not too far fetched around mid month the way things keep shaping up.

Tamara

well it certainly is a bit of a throwback, snow "pushing up from the South", i distinctly remember several heavy snowfall events in Northern England (more than a decade ago) from such situations.

as far as feb 91 is concerned, i can see what you mean but so much to be decided. certain things seem to be slotting into place. i think we will have a clearer picture by the weekend . nothing would please me more than to see frontal activity moving east to west over us!

Posted

funny enough i was born in clapham and now live in sutton so like you im expecting heavy rain when 20 miles north it be blizzards !!! also that few cm's the other week was a surprise and i dont expect lying snow again this season but fingers cross . this really will go down the wire and subtle changes over the next 48 hr will determine if we are all smiles or resigned to the usual missed out/ so close .

bearing in mind 91 was the last snow event in london we are due something and how ironic that we may get something in one of the mildest winter season.

everything to play for !!!

Posted
Hi - whats the latest on the snow? Are things a bit more certain now? I don't really understand the models but enjoy reading about you all trying to work them out!

Whats the latest?

I see the Met office has issued a weather warning.........

Hello there well wales westwards to london looks like getting the worst of it.The north might see a little bit the coasts will prob see

rain or sleet.

hope that answers your question?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Okay so the Meto have gone for it.

In recent years frontal Snow has been poor even the "large" Events haven't delivered even if they lasted for 24hrs or more haven't produced much depth or just slush as the day went on. Hopefully we'll do much better with this one if it gets this far North.

Better get me boots out of the car. :cold:

Posted
sorry Tamara i'm prob just being negative and bitter in advance, as i live in se london and i reckon a combination of the urban heat island effect and my being south of the river may conspire to wreck this one for me.

still, we had a nice taste the week before last, couple of cm, after which i said i was now satisfied and it needn't snow again this winter. now of course, i want another bite of the cherry and dreaming of another '91........

twitter and bisted eh? wel lets notforget the last lot of snow came with ground temps a lot warmer than they are now. and i walked out of work that morning to lying snow in trafalgar square. if it can settle in central london with warmer temps then, then the chances are it will settle again.

Posted
funny enough i was born in clapham and now live in sutton so like you im expecting heavy rain when 20 miles north it be blizzards !!! also that few cm's the other week was a surprise and i dont expect lying snow again this season but fingers cross . this really will go down the wire and subtle changes over the next 48 hr will determine if we are all smiles or resigned to the usual missed out/ so close .

bearing in mind 91 was the last snow event in london we are due something and how ironic that we may get something in one of the mildest winter season.

everything to play for !!!

for us in s london we really need that LP to stick close to the channel / n france , not move so far north as progged and continue its track ever so slightly North East once it gets east of brighton, and remain nearly stationary. this is one of the possible outcomes and would leave us in the cold, snowy section for longer. we could also do with dragging a cool s. east /easterly feed in to lessen any urban heat island effect and avoid the southerly /s westerly moist drag (though we need some moisture) - god we want it all!

i didnt live in london at the time of the 91 event but i remember hearing there was 9 inches of snow lying in central london. would be great to see that. up in west yorks we had 27 inches where i lived - it was fabulous. that was from a full blown front from the east though & very rare.